Recording / Drums with Boss 532

NickelBridge

I'm thinking about getting the Boss 532 for home recording projects. Does anyone have any experience with the "rhythm guide" feature of the 532? Can you use this feature to create your own drum track? I want to be able to write and record without involving a drummer - and would like to use this one unit for everything instead of having to buy a separate drum machine. Thanks for any tips on this or any general comments on the 532.

It's pretty easy to get drum tracks down with this thing although you are limited to 4/4 timing though. Iv'e been happy with mine but was pretty dissapointed when I realized that when they say it will record 2 tracks at a time the do not mean 2 mic inputs at a time. You can use one mic + built in mic or guitar/bass input. Can't figure out why they did not make able to use both mic inputs together.

How does that work--you use an external mixing board to use 2 mics. Wouldn't that record onto only one track?

gartulan said:
How does that work--you use an external mixing board to use 2 mics. Wouldn't that record onto only one track?

Not sure if this was answered yet. Anyway, use the outs on the mixer to the line inputs on the BR-532. At that point you have the option of recording to one track or two. One is of course mono, panned center, two is each track panned hard R/L by default. You can center them later if you like, ending up with two mono center-panned tracks, one from each mic. You have the problem, of course, of having bleeding between the mics, which may or may not be a problem, especially when you do editing later. On the other hand it's a way to do stereo recording if you have a matched pair of mics.

A.

Back