Quality of Mic Pres in VS2480?

rups712000

I've just ordered a brand new 2480 and will use this with a couple of AKG mic's (414 and solid tube). I would like to know what quality the built in Mic pre's are, and if you guys would recommend also purchasing an external Mic pre set up such as the Focusrite Octopre?

Thanks for your help.

r7

I have a 1680 and I think everything inside is the same....

I have been told that the PREs and A/D converters are garbage but you know what....they sound fine to me for personal use. If I were recording something for distribution I would consider buying some outboard gear.

But the great thing that I have found is that what I don't know can't hurt me...I have only used a mackie pre on a mixer and that was a LONG time ago so I don't think I am missing anything.

My recordings do sound good, I give them to my friends, but I will still get a couple PREs and an A/D converter sometime soon because I am ready to go to another level.

The converters are good, but the pres suck. Get a preamp and turn your gains down on the Roland. Your sound quality will improve. For what its worth, I got a Focusrite Trakmaster and kept it away from the Roland with a 3' Monster cable. Clean as a whistle. It has phantom power and easy to use. Don't fool yourself, a 2480 is an awesome machine, when it is presented with a decent signal. Just my $0.02.

Aaron

I guess it depends on what you are comparing them too. Compared to an 880 or 1680 they are good. (Or so I'm told) Compared to a Sytek or a Peavey VMP-2, they are not very good. The pres on the 2480 begin to get very noisy after 3/4 of the way up.

I agree with Mr. Martin, present your 2480 with a decent signal.

Taylor

I have not found anything wrong with the pre's on my 2480. They are in fact improved over the 1680. However, I do like some outboard pre's better. If you have outboard pre's you like, I say use 'em. If not, don't worry about it.

Back