pls help before I smash my 2480 to pieces..

Sigma9

For the LOVE OF GOD, all I want to do is have a DRY TRACK on one channel, and have a WET TRACK of the same sound on another as I record them both. Do I really need to record the DRY track over and then add the effect after? I read the instruction manual over and over I do exactly as it says and nothing, I can not hear the wet track. I have my drum machine comming into the tracker on channels 15&16. I want to creat a wet effect when I record these 2 tracks on to say channels 13&14 or fx1 & fx2. Is it just me, or is this a pain in the ass to do?

I can't help you specifically with the 2480, but just a comment....

...you have to remember that with budget gear there are always trade-offs so that the cost remains lower....

Usually, this means number of features is favored over flexibility/ease of use.....

Start saving for that SSL and a shitload of outboard!!! ;)

lol

err the 2480 is the top of the line in the VS series, there is a way to do it but the instructions are wack!

I meant....

Relative to a stand-alone multi-track and separate mixer, it's "budget, all-in-one" type gear.... which usually has trade-offs!

;)

well anyway this didnt..

I got someone to help me. Ill post it here as this might help someone else in my perdicament....

Sigma 9, what you want to do is VERY easy. I'm going to give you a long detailed tutorial on this process so forgive me if I duplicate info you already know. Here is what you need to do...
(I'll assume you have a VGA, if not go buy one right now!)

Press EZ Routing

There are four main areas in the EZ routing page. The Upper Lefthand area is called "Patch Bay"

In the Patch Bay you'll see several lines going from the "analog input" section to the "input mixer" section.

Down by where it says "input mixer" click your mouse on 13&14. It should turn blue.

Now turn the "time/value" wheel one click to the right so that the two wires from the input mixer channels 13&14 are routed to the anlog inputs 15&16.

Just to double check, the input mixer channels 15&16 should also be routed to analog inputs 15&16.

Above the red master fader there are four buttons. Press the upper lefthand button called "IN 1-16" and turn up faders 13, 14, 15, and 16.

You are now ready to record an identical DRY recording on both 13&14 AND 15&16. Now lets get to the effects.

If you want to ADD effects (like reverb) to your dry signal on 13 an 14 so that you can still hear the drum machine with a little reverb on it you will want to run a loop effect. If you ONLY want the reverb (or whatever effect you're planning to use) and none of the dry signal then you want to INSERT your effect. I'll show you how to do both.

LOOP EFFECTS:

While still in the "IN 1-16" mixer found by pressing the upper lefthand button bove the master fader, press the CH EDIT button for 13. You will notice in this channel edit sreen it says "IN 13" in the upper left side. To print your effects while you record (wet)you must turn up the aux send in this screen, not "TR 13." So turn up aux send 1 and 2.

Do the same for channel "IN 14."

INSERT EFFECTS:

On the CH EDIT screen for "IN 13" you'll find an "effect insert" box in the lower left corner. Press the button for FX1 and FX2 once. They should turn yellow with a little routing picture inside them. These routings are Stereo, left, right, and fed back into itself. Just choose the first one which is stereo. It looks like two parallel lines.

That's it for choosing loop or insert. Let's move on.

Choose your effect by pressing the "effect" button and clicking on the upper left hand box. Choose your effect preset and make any adjustments you need to make. Do the same for effect 2.

Now press the lower right button above the master fader called "TR 17-24 FX RTN" Make sure the faders for "FX 1 RTN" and "FX 2" are up. Adjust these to taste as your effects levels.

Press the upper right button above the master fader called "IN 17-24 AUX MST" and make sure the AUX1MST and AUX 2 faders are up.

Press the lower left button over the master fader called "TR 1-16." Press the track status buttons for 13, 14, 15, and 16 until they turn red. This arms them for recording.

Press play on your drum machine and make sure you are hearing what you want to hear. While still in the "TR 1-16" mixer found by pressing the lower righthand button above the master fader, turn down the faders for 13&14. You should only hear the dry signal. Adjust the SENS knobs so that you are loud and in the red on the meter but not clipping. Now turn up 13&14 and turn down 15&16. You should only hear the effected signal.

Adjust everything to taste.

Press Play and Record!

If you're still confused about something let me know and I'll clear it up.

THE END

--------------------

~Rufus

Ok. Someone beat me to the response. I didn't read the whole thing, but it seems like you're headed in the right direction.

Also, while I don't have the 2480, note the VS880 requires the PreInsert to be on to actually record the effects. If it is not on, you will hear the effects while recording, but they will not be recorded.

Re: well anyway this didnt..

Sigma9 said:
I got someone to help me. Ill post it here as this might help someone else in my perdicament....

Sigma 9, what you want to do is VERY easy. I'm going to give you a long detailed tutorial on this process so forgive me if I duplicate info you already know. Here is what you need to do...
(I'll assume you have a VGA, if not go buy one right now!)

Press EZ Routing

There are four main areas in the EZ routing page. The Upper Lefthand area is called "Patch Bay"

In the Patch Bay you'll see several lines going from the "analog input" section to the "input mixer" section.

Down by where it says "input mixer" click your mouse on 13&14. It should turn blue.

Now turn the "time/value" wheel one click to the right so that the two wires from the input mixer channels 13&14 are routed to the anlog inputs 15&16.

Just to double check, the input mixer channels 15&16 should also be routed to analog inputs 15&16.

Above the red master fader there are four buttons. Press the upper lefthand button called "IN 1-16" and turn up faders 13, 14, 15, and 16.

You are now ready to record an identical DRY recording on both 13&14 AND 15&16. Now lets get to the effects.

If you want to ADD effects (like reverb) to your dry signal on 13 an 14 so that you can still hear the drum machine with a little reverb on it you will want to run a loop effect. If you ONLY want the reverb (or whatever effect you're planning to use) and none of the dry signal then you want to INSERT your effect. I'll show you how to do both.

LOOP EFFECTS:

While still in the "IN 1-16" mixer found by pressing the upper lefthand button bove the master fader, press the CH EDIT button for 13. You will notice in this channel edit sreen it says "IN 13" in the upper left side. To print your effects while you record (wet)you must turn up the aux send in this screen, not "TR 13." So turn up aux send 1 and 2.

Do the same for channel "IN 14."

INSERT EFFECTS:

On the CH EDIT screen for "IN 13" you'll find an "effect insert" box in the lower left corner. Press the button for FX1 and FX2 once. They should turn yellow with a little routing picture inside them. These routings are Stereo, left, right, and fed back into itself. Just choose the first one which is stereo. It looks like two parallel lines.

That's it for choosing loop or insert. Let's move on.

Choose your effect by pressing the "effect" button and clicking on the upper left hand box. Choose your effect preset and make any adjustments you need to make. Do the same for effect 2.

Now press the lower right button above the master fader called "TR 17-24 FX RTN" Make sure the faders for "FX 1 RTN" and "FX 2" are up. Adjust these to taste as your effects levels.

Press the upper right button above the master fader called "IN 17-24 AUX MST" and make sure the AUX1MST and AUX 2 faders are up.

Press the lower left button over the master fader called "TR 1-16." Press the track status buttons for 13, 14, 15, and 16 until they turn red. This arms them for recording.

Press play on your drum machine and make sure you are hearing what you want to hear. While still in the "TR 1-16" mixer found by pressing the lower righthand button above the master fader, turn down the faders for 13&14. You should only hear the dry signal. Adjust the SENS knobs so that you are loud and in the red on the meter but not clipping. Now turn up 13&14 and turn down 15&16. You should only hear the effected signal.

Adjust everything to taste.

Press Play and Record!

If you're still confused about something let me know and I'll clear it up.

THE END

--------------------

~Rufus
This is the reason I went with Cakewalk. I had a 1680 ? for a day. Ridiculous...I took it back and got a sound card and Cakewalk and a VS880EX and half my money back. I use the 880, but not for any sort of editing or whatever you're doing with your 2480. I have enough headaches without all that Roland button pushing maze popping puzzle poopoo. Push this button while you stand on your head and push this other button with your toe after you twist this knob before you turn the first knob past the third slider aaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I use cakewalk, well sonar really...

I dont mind the button pushing really, but god I wish the instructions were just a little more user friendly.

Ya, good product, poor support...maybe if we were fluent in some Asian language we’d have it easier with the manuals? I mean like the original manuals.

Back