Micro BR: copying and pasting tracks

analog_freak

I'm about to buy some sort of digital multitrack recorder to use mostly for editing "live to 2-track" recordings I make with a Tascam 122 MkIII analogue machine. The short version of my story is this: I record a lot of improvised bass pieces using a looper with live overdubs and stereo effects directly to tape. Few of the pieces are totally good all the way through, so I want to "edit" some of them by copying and pasting the best parts, link them together, and then overdub ambient treatments to complete the pieces.

I believe I can accomplish this with a 4-track recorder like the Micro BR. However, I'm looking at the pdf of the manual, and it merely demonstrates how to copy and paste sections of only one track at a time.

Is there a way to copy and paste sections of two tracks (L & R stereo) simultaneously? Can one select, for example, tracks 1 & 2 at the same time, then paste the selected section over to tracks 3 & 4?

I can see from the various threads on the Micro BR that people are generally happy with the machine. So long as I can do the stereo editing I need to, I think I would be happy with it too.

Many thanks.

Copying and Pasting Tracks (part II)

In other words, is the process of "selecting stereo tracks for recording" (or "stereo link") as described on p. 41 of the manual the same as the process described on p. 53 for "specify source and destination tracks"?

The manual does not provide instructions on p. 53 for how one selects the track (or perhaps tracks?) for "copying data (track copy)".

Hope this question makes sense!

Thanks.
Michael

The Micro-BR is okay for recording but it would be a pain in the butt trying to edit with it. Why not download a free version of Reaper or Cool Edit or something free, and do it in your computer. It's so much easier to do it on a computer screen.

Good question. My answer? I dunnow. . .I hear and read such horror stories about a "steep learning curve" and unreliabilities of computer-based recording. I have it on the back burner to get into it one day, but am thinking a portable dedicated recorder would tide me over until that time comes. I would think that a dedicated recorder would be easier in the sense that one could fairly quickly whip out the manual and look up how to do something.

Answer from the Boss

One can edit two tracks (copying and pasting) simultaneously. Boss Customer Support sent the following answer to my question:

"When selecting the track to copy, keep going past 1, 2, 3 & 4 and you'll get 12 and 34 which are the stereo tracks."

So apparently one has to scroll through the list of tracks, as opposed to using the track buttons on the unit.

I just now ordered a Micro BR. :)

Shoulda tried Reaper. I have a Micro-BR and a BR-600. The USB connections are great for transferring to computer, where I do the edits. I’ve never attempted doing editing in the BR’s. Good luck with your project. You can always transfer the files from the BR to your computer if you decide to try it that way. :)

Reaper/Cool Edit

It sounds like you're saying that I could use the Micro BR quite easily with the computer (and Reaper or Cool Edit software) such that I would not need some sort of USB interface (M Audio, etc.) for the computer to sample the analog tracks of the Tascam 122 Mk III? Is it easier when doing computer-based recording to record tracks first to a multitrack recorder like Micro BR or BR-600, and then import those tracks to computer?

Thanks.
Michael

It sounds like you're saying that I could use the Micro BR quite easily with the computer (and Reaper or Cool Edit software) such that I would not need some sort of USB interface (M Audio, etc.) for the computer to sample the analog tracks of the Tascam 122 Mk III? Is it easier when doing computer-based recording to record tracks first to a multitrack recorder like Micro BR or BR-600, and then import those tracks to computer?

Thanks.
Michael
The USB connections are on your computer...it doesn't matter which sound card you use. If you want to transfer files from the BR to the computer, the USB connections will come in handy, but not altogether necessary. If you have ANY kind of soundcard it most likely has stereo (left/right) inputs. Radio Shack should have the connections necessary to connect the 122 to your computer (probably around $10). Download a free recording/editing program and record the tracks from the 122 to the computer, then edit with visible waveforms. Either way there's going to be a learning curve, based on the questions you ask. :)

Thanks.
Michael

I've owned my microBR for about 2 months now, and am very happy with it, it records very well, and in my opinion is a better option for "Personal" recording then investing in a dedicated sound card for your PC simply because it's portable and the quality is still 24bit/44.1kHz and you can still then later master to .WAV's (or .MP3's) then transfer to your PC and do all edits via 3rd party software. There is no current program for editing the Track Data on a PC though, so the only way to do back and forth stuff is to master your tracks into a WAV or MP3 every time.

The M-BR is GREAT for Recording, but in my opinion, not worth a dam for editing other than bouncing/mastering, and the included BOSS COSM effects are pretty cheezy and sound way too cheap, and the drum machine patterns sound ok, but are only good for basic stuff.

I've had it bug out on me a few times too, it doesn't like when you copy an A<->B phrase and try to repeatedly paste after paste, I found it will add dead spots (pauses), and even add split seconds of time that then put the phrase your copying out of sync, and lets face it, compaired to a "free" computer GUI that has way more options, it's just not worth the time to do it on the M-BR.

Thanks DMann and Smart Blonde. After toying around a bit with the Micro BR, I agree that editing is quite limited/awkward. It's best used as an ultra-portable digital alternative to a Tascam 424. My Mac has Garage Band, which I suppose will work well for editing bits from the 4-track recordings made on either the analog machine or the Micro BR. Bottom line: Given what I want to do, I guess I can't avoid the complexities of the computer :(

Back