DR-880 Drum Machine

jp68

Is any one out there using one of these for building drum and bass tracks?

If you are I have a question for which I can't seem to find an answer. It has to do with programing in a bass pattern and getting it to work with the chord chart. I program in note for note with the key set for the key of my song. Then when I program in the actual chord progression that goes with the song I seem to get notes that jump and octave during play back. It does seem to play back correctly if I just leave the chord changes out.

I have talked with a Boss tech, but he didn't seem to understand or just didn't know.

Hope some one has figured this out...

Thanks,

Last edited:
I think that I may have figured this out. I believe if you enter the bass part of pattern in note for note. Then you must enter the chord pattern in as "--"NC - No Chord. Otherwise the DR-880 will attempt to use its own algorithm and could move notes around. I am not sure if this is correct but it's the only working theory that I have at this point. I will try my theory out over the weekend and let you all know what turns out.

I think that I have figured it out....

It has nothing to do with the "--" NC - No Chord setting..

It all has to do with the "Arrange Function" If this function is turned "ON" the DR-88o's algorithm will attempt to change the base line with the chord changes, regardless of what you have pre-programed in. The machine will pick notes that technically fit, however they may be an octave higher or lower that what really works. If you turn Arrange to the "OFF" position in will play the bass part exactly as you have it programed in. This doesn't affect tranposition, you can still change the key and the DR-880 will change your composition to the new key. This is really cool..

Wheww, that took a long time to figure out...

Back