BR1600 and Shure SM57 Input Levels

LocalSpaceDog

I am evaluating a used BR1600. I've had a BR600 for a year or two that I've learned to use with moderate sophistication, but other than that I am a beginner at home recording.

In attempting to use the BR1600 with Shure SM58 and SM57 mics I find that I have to pin the input sensititivity to MAX and just about do the same for the master Input Level. It's still hard to get the input to light the "Peak" LED unless I practically swallow the mic. I was never able to use an SM58 with the BR600, either, but I thought that one, because of its 1/4-inch mic inputs, was just simply designed for high-impedance mics (which apparently put out a stronger signal, based on a sample of the one high-impedance mic I have, an old ElectroVoice PL88). With the XLR inputs on the BR1600, and from other things I read, I assumed the SM58 and SM57 would work well, even if not with the subtlety of a condenser mic.

Is what I'm experiencing with the input levels normal on a BR1600? If so, it would appear that the SM58, and the SM57 in particular, are not really going to work unaided.

If that's the case, what's the best solution?

1. Get a different digital recorder (which?)
  2. Get a mic preamp (they're expensive)
  3. Get a bunch of condenser mics (also expensive!)

All help and advice much appreciated!

Why did you have problems with the SM58 on the BR600? Isn't it the same mic with a different end cover?
Is your BR1600 new? have you tried any other dynamic mics with it? Is there a software switch to go from condensor to dynamic?

Back