Boss BR-8 Bounce Recording levels...

Telegib

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I visited here.

I've had a BR-8 since they came out and feel pretty comfortable with how it works. I feelI know the machine well and can operate it to it's fullest cappability.

I'm now exploring bounce recording because I need more track space for more instruments. I know how to bounce record, I'm having difficulty being satisfied with the results overall sound...

Here's my question:

prior to bouncing, the sound I'm have is good. I'm happy with the settings( Pan, EQ, Delay, Chorus, etc) for each track...when I play them back is sounds good...

It seems to lose the sound quality when I bounce those tracks to 2 stereo tracks (ex: 7&8)....it just doesn't sound the same.

Help ?

P.S. I read or heard that once you bounce, you lose the control to individually edit the sound of each instrument because it's now part of a larger Mixed track with other instruments....in essence, your now mixing the sound for all instruments combined....makes sense.

Anyway, can anyone offer some tips or suggestions ??

Thanks in advance.

Telegib.

With the BR-8 your Bounced recording should be exactly what you are hearing on the multiple tracks before you Bounce them to 2 stereo tracks.

What all are you trying to Bounce?

Keep instruments together. For example. If you have multiple GUITAR tracks.. Different sounds, different guitars, different effects, different panning, different volumes. All these differences make up my Main rhythm guitar track wich I Bounce down to 2 stereo tracks. I put my lead guitar on a seperate track because I like more control over my lead part.

My point is this. I would not Bounce Multiple intruments down to 2 stereo tracks. I have alot of experience with the BR-8 as well.

You can hear my music at www.mp3.com/steven_diemert

I hope this helps.

Steven

This is a good question!

The issue is how many tracks do you need to bounce, or how many total do you need to end up with.

I did alot of bouncing with my BR-8 but I always tried to keep it to no more than 2 instruments at once. This helped keep the levels from getting lost in the final mix. Eventually I realized I needed more tracks than I cared to bounce, or I was running low on space. So I started loading them into the computer (Acid Pro 4.0) and I am really glad I took that step. If you are going to record beyond 10 tracks per tune I would consider the computer. I drop the stuff in and mix it down and put it back onto the Zip in a stereo wave and presto!!!! I have 6 open tracks without losing a thing. This can be repeated indefinatly. I was really glad to shake the track/time monkey off my back!

Just my 2 cents
Joel

Thanks Steven and Joel....

I need further explanation please....

Steven, Typically I've tried to bounce 2-3 rythmn guitars(each different in sound and individual mix) plus Bass guitar and drums into 2 stereo tracks...so this would be a total of anywhere from 4-5 different instruments together.....so far...

I haven't even layed my lead solo down yet. I want to add mandolin,bongos, Jembe, keyboards and then some layered leads..

Obviously I'm tyring to incoprorate a lot of instruments or tracks....

what is the best way to do this ? Do I bounce just the rythmn guitars, then just all percussion, then drums, then bass, then leads ????

I looking for some detailed guidelines...if your experienced at this, can you please offer me some suggestions.....

Thanks in advance.

Telegib.

If it was me I would try to keep all the similar intruments together. I would imagine your mixes are sounding bad when you try to mix guitars and drums and bass down to 2 tracks, just so you can add some bongos.

Keep the bongos with your drum mix... Keep your Keys with your rhythm guitar mix or your lead guitar mix depending on how prominant the keys are. Same goes for the mandolin.

Good Luck.

Steven

If I was you I would go with what jcmm said, about loading it up in the computer and mixing because it gives you better control. I love my BR-8 but the bad thing is having to bounce the tracks because it can get frustrating bouncing tracks around when you have a lot of tracks so the best advice I can give you is get a zip drive if you don't have one. Install it to your computer and load your tracks up on it and mix using another program because I record vocals and that is how I do it and to me it gives you better control but I'm sure opinions will vary.

Back