840, 880, EX, VS, Vexpanded?????

Davo8411

I'm interested in purchasing a used 840 or 880, however the different sets of letters that come after each model name are a bit confusing.

Is there a simple explanation of the difference between these models, i.e. 840, 840EX, 840GS, etc.? The Roland website no longer lists the 840 or 880 so I can't get info there.

Anyone care to elaborate on the differences from model to model?

Sorry, I don't know the differences between all the models, but I CAN tell you what the VS 880's all about because I have one.

The VS 880 allows 8 simultaneous active tracks, and you can record up to 4 simultaneously. It doesn't come with a CD burner, but you can buy one separately. If it's a Vxpanded, it has the effects card ... which allows you to use 2 different effects simultaneously. You don't have effects if you don't have the expansion card.

As for AD/DA quality, the VS880 has 18-bit AD and DA converters and stores data at 16 bit (MAS mode, in which you get only 6 active tracks) and in three other compressed 16-bit modes (the data compression scheme gives you the 8 tracks). The mixer section has resolution of 24 bits (this is a benefit even though the data is stored at 16 bits because it means the volume, pan, effects changes can happen in finer detail).

Now, you if someone else has insight into the other models you're asking about, you'll get the difference in specs to compare ... then you need to evaluate what is important to you.

If no one here can help, go to www.vsplanet.com and search and/or lurk in the appropriate VS forum and you should learn a lot. If not, post a question or two there; folks is real helpful in them parts.

I own an 880-ex the only difference between that and the 880 is that the ex has onboard efx (don't need to buy the upgrade cards...)

freaky said:
I own an 880-ex the only difference between that and the 880 is that the ex has onboard efx (don't need to buy the upgrade cards...)

I think the 880EX has 20-bit converters instead of just the 18-bit, doesn't it? Also does the EX have something called MTK, a mastering toolkit or something? If so, that's different from the Vxpanded, which doesn't have that. Which also implies that the effects card in the EX is different.

The VS840 uses 100MB Zip disks.
The VS840EX and GX uses 250MB Zip disks.

The 840EX and GX is the same machine, but with different operating systems. You can download the GX version from Roland and load into a EX if you want to, and it will turn into a GX....

/Anders

It's been awhile since I purchased my 880 but I belive the Vexpanded had the larger harddisk (2gig).

Could be mistaken though.

And I did have to buy the effects board seperate.

I’ve noticed the VS880EX’s are getting harder to find these days. My theory is, people are realizing what cool little units they are and they’re hanging on to them, or don’t have to advertise to sell them easily. I’m sure glad nobody bought mine when I put it up for sale. I’ll get another one if the price is right. It's so easy to hook two together.

High!

One more thing: the 880EX has 6 analogue inputs and two digital inputs. If I'm right, the ('yugo')880 and the vx only have 4 analogue ins. With a new OS, the EX has MTK which is quite a nice tool for beginning to understand what mastering is (or to do 'poor man's mastering' if you don't wanna afford 'real' one).

IMO, the 880EX is to be preferred about the 840's (because of much better storage possibilities and the possibility of using all tracks in MT1 mode and the MAS mode). I often had to record 6 tracks so I opt for the 880EX. I think geekgurl wished for two more inputs at the last live recording, too :D

OTOH, at least in Germany, you can get the 880s for sometimes half of the price that a 880EX costs. So this might be your way. There are even guys who 'tuned' 840s with laptop hardsdisks... Then you can use 8 tracks in MT1, too (afaik).

Hope I could help,

aXel

"I own an 880-ex the only difference between that and the 880 is that
the ex has onboard efx (don't need to buy the upgrade cards...)"

There is another Difference. The original 880 not the Ex is the only Vs unit that can use the Vs-transfer software to transfer the tracks to wave files into your computer using the SCSI port.

"('yugo')880 and the vx only have 4 analogue ins."

On the 880 there are actually 8 analogue inputs. 4-1/4" and 4 rca. You can only use 4 at a time and you cannot use both rca and 1/4" inputs for the same track assignment.
The 1/4" inputs take priority over the rca.

The preamps on the 880 are not that good. If it were me I would get a 1680 or above.
Or go to a Computer based system if Portability is not an Issue. In any case use the spdif on the 880 or 840 to go to your computer if you dont buy an external Cd drive.

:cool:

Back