1202VLZ to vs880vx

gtrplaya

Hi ...
Great BBS here...I have a simple question and I've posted it elsewhere on the net. What is the best way to get my sequenced tracks (sampler, keyboard, two sound modules and drum machine) into my VS880VX along with (minimal) a guitar, bass guitar and a vocal mic....? I want to mixdown all my tracks to a stereo pair and then burn to CD (using a Plextor CDRW).

Is it as easy as taking my sequenced audio out of my 1202VLZ's alt 3/4 outs into 2 inputs of the VS?

Gtrplaya,

Not sure why no one has replied to this already. I don't have the same set up, but I'm essentially doing the same thing in my studio. I take the main outs of my mixer into the recorder, but bus outs would work fine as well I would think.

Is there a reason you're looking to use bus outs as opposed to your main outs from the Mackie to the VS?

Stray

stray411 said:
Gtrplaya,

Not sure why no one has replied to this already. I don't have the same set up, but I'm essentially doing the same thing in my studio. I take the main outs of my mixer into the recorder, but bus outs would work fine as well I would think.

Is there a reason you're looking to use bus outs as opposed to your main outs from the Mackie to the VS?

Stray

Stray,
Thanks for replying. I know there are a few different ways to go to the VS. I chose my ALT 3/4 out from the Mackie because I found that I can use the ALT mute button on any of my mixer channels that have the sequenced tracks, to get signal into the VS, from there all I have to is map the sequenced tracks to the channels on the VS, I believe. I'm trying that routing now to see how it works. I believe that if I use the main outs, I don't ahve that flexibility...how's it working for you?

gtrplaya,

Since you have a Mackie 1202 to work with your VS880VX, you have plenty of routing possibilities.

I used to use a 1402 with the same VS unit. I found that using the direct outs (inserts) on the Mackie in conjunction with the Alt 3/4 outs to give me the most options. I would use the direct outs for the mic/line channels and the Alt outs for the stereo channels. You could use your aux sends too, if you want more flexability.

If you haven't already tried it, all you have to do is insert a patch cable into the insert jack to the first click. If you insert it completely, you've gone to far. There should be a more detailed explanation of this in your Mackie manual.

Hope this helps.

dirtydog

dirtydog said:
gtrplaya,

Since you have a Mackie 1202 to work with your VS880VX, you have plenty of routing possibilities.

I would use the direct outs for the mic/line channels and the Alt outs for the stereo channels. You could use your aux sends too, if you want more flexability.

If you haven't already tried it, all you have to do is insert a patch cable into the insert jack to the first click. If you insert it completely, you've gone to far. There should be a more detailed explanation of this in your Mackie manual.

Hope this helps.

dirtydog

Thanks DD,

I am doing just that as u explained above...the alt outs are for my sequenced tracks and the directs are for analog (guitar and bass), just one thing (I don't quite understand yet). Ch 1 is for guitar, Ch 2 is for bass, Ch 3 is for alt 3/4 (left), Ch 4 is for alt 3/4 (right), this doesn't leave me an open channel for my mic insert (which incidentally is the way I routed the mic originally..that is before brought my sequenced tracks in via the alt outs....follow me?)

I think I follow you. Bear with me if I'm not.

I am curious as to why you would route your sequenced tracks through channels 3 & 4 (not that it's wrong). That does leave you without a channel for vocals. Have you tried patching them through, say, channel 5/6? You can still route that channel through the alts and it will remain stereo (if that was a concern).

This is how I had my setup;

1 - Vox
2 - Guitar
3 - Bass
4->6 - open
7/8 - Keyboard
9/10 - VDrums
11/12 - Computer (DAW)
13/14 - VS 880 (Main L/R)

Having only 4 inputs on the VS meant that I had to repatch my direct outs on channels 1 - 6 from time to time. I used inputs 1 & 2 (on the VS) for the direct outs. Inputs 3 & 4 were for the alts. I used the tape I/O to go to the 2 track master (DAT, cassette, CD). I monitored everything off the mackie.

Hope this helps (and makes sense).

dirtydog

Dirty....
Thanks so much for the reply, it does make some sense, it's just that I know I am missing something simple with the routing. What I mean is how are u bringing your inputs in past ch 4..through the RCA inputs on the VS ? If so, I thought I read that if the 1/4" inputs are used, the same corresponding RCA inputs can't be used....I understand your routing on the Mackie, and I monitor my mix through my Mackie and currently bring the VS tape outs to a tape deck, but I'm still a bit confused. ....

Thanks again, much appreciated...I'll study your routing example.

[quote}how are u bringing your inputs in past ch 4..through the RCA inputs on the VS ? If so, I thought I read that if the 1/4" inputs are used, the same corresponding RCA inputs can't be used....
Yeah, that's the big drag of it all... I nver used the RCA ins. Since we only have 4 inputs, I used the 1/4".

For my setup, I was using the alt 3/4's to the VS in 3 & 4. The direct outs were from channels 1 & 2. If I wanted to use channels 3,4, etc, I would have to reach behind the board and move the cable to the appropriate out. I used th

I gather that you are trying to figure out a way to route everything so you have to do as little re-patching as possible. What I would suggest is not worrying about getting anything that can be hooked up with midi, to "tape". If you synchronize all of your gear in this way, then you can concern yourself with getting stuff like guitar, bass, vox to "tape". You can then go back later and record the midi stuff (assuming that you will want to use the fx VS).

Anyway, if it would help, I still have my signal flow diagram kicking around. If you would like I could email it to you.

dirtydog

dirtydog said:
[quote}how are u bringing your inputs in past ch 4..through the RCA inputs on the VS ? If so, I thought I read that if the 1/4" inputs are used, the same corresponding RCA inputs can't be used....
Yeah, that's the big drag of it all... I nver used the RCA ins. Since we only have 4 inputs, I used the 1/4".

For my setup, I was using the alt 3/4's to the VS in 3 & 4. The direct outs were from channels 1 & 2. If I wanted to use channels 3,4, etc, I would have to reach behind the board and move the cable to the appropriate out. I used th

I gather that you are trying to figure out a way to route everything so you have to do as little re-patching as possible. What I would suggest is not worrying about getting anything that can be hooked up with midi, to "tape". If you synchronize all of your gear in this way, then you can concern yourself with getting stuff like guitar, bass, vox to "tape". You can then go back later and record the midi stuff (assuming that you will want to use the fx VS).

Anyway, if it would help, I still have my signal flow diagram kicking around. If you would like I could email it to you.

dirtydog

Bingo...you hit it on the head...I am trying to avoid the repatching. Now, an audio patchbay would help ...but even then that might be a messs...seems we are at the same place, but whether you know it or not, you've been great help. If you find your signal routing diagram, I'd appreciate it. I have one for my MIDI routing, but not for audio....I've been meaning to do that. Also...as I've been going thru this thread, I came to same conclusion as u....SYNC THE VS! Thanks again, DD

Bingo...you hit it on the head...I am trying to avoid the repatching.
Aha! I went through the same thing. When I got my mackie board, I racked by brain trying to figure out a way to have everything "hardwired". You are correct. A patchbay would solve your problem.

Syncing the VS with your sampler, keyboard, etc., will definitely help. Especially with mixing. Since this lovely machine can only mix 8 tracks at one time, it will save you the headache of bouncing tracks. Midi is a very handy tool.

I do have my signal flow diagram handy. If you would like me to send it to you, send me a PM with your email address. I don't think I can attach the document to one of these internal PM's.

dirtydog

Back