Yeeouch! Audiosuite rendered regions missing

barneykeys

Hi Folks,
I've had a heckuva time with missing regions with a number of sessions. Recently purchased a new system and loaded up my previously backed-up sessions. Majority of audio is there, but missing most or all audio regions that have had any Audiosuite plugin applied permanently to that region or area. Upon opening the files, I get the missing audio dialog and these missing files are nowhere to be found... on any drive anywhere! All of these files/sessions that were brought back in to the new system were backed up with synchronization software and I have redundant copies that are all the same. It seems I'm only missing regions that I've used Audiosuite plugins on. If I change the gain on a region selection with the Gain Audiosuite plugin, or normalize, or reverse... these areas are missing and I can't find anywhere. I've searched the internet over and can't seem to find out what's up. I'm flatout desperate here to prevent this from happening again! Help from anyone who may be able to shed some light (and sound!) would be greatly appreciated. Take good care.

Hi,
Do you still have access to the computer where you applied the audio suite tools?

I just opened a session, imported a wav, then rendered audiosuite dverb on it to see where the file would be saved.
It was just saved in the session 'audio files' folder as you'd expect.

I'm not aware of any way to change that, but I guess your old setup was saving the files elsewhere.

Maybe you could try the same test on your old setup?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hi Steenamaroo,
Thank you sir the super swift reply. I do still have access to the drive and have directed Protools to search that drive for the files, but alas.... no luck. The drive I'm using is an exact copy of the sessions from the previous drive anyway. Yikes... We're talking a ton of intricate edits here. Some folks have told me to consolidate tracks in the future, etc.... which I do now (doubling the size of sessions folder) and I've heard other workarounds.... but I wanna find out what was done on tons of sessions I still have to work on so it doesn't happen again. These sessions were backed up with synchronization software and may have been during the time protools was open. Would that create a problem? I'm just tossing stuff out there hoping something will stick and I can rectify issue. You take real good care Steenamaroo, thanks again.

OK, I see.
That's a nightmare.

That's correct; Consolidation will just create one big file out of several edits, but you really shouldn't have to do that all the time!
Up until PT 10 I never consolidated. Now I only do it to make clip gain nice and handy.

There are only two things I can think of.
1: Did you ever have or use a second hard drive? It's a super long-shot, but worth thinking about.
2: Do you ever clean up your sessions? (Select unused audio/delete).

I've had problems before where two sessions are sharing the same folders. Cleaning one makes a pigs ear of the other.

Beyond that, I really don't know what could have happened.
Keep us up to speed, yeah?

Thanks.

Thanks for the additional suggestions Steenamaroo, Never used a second hard drive except for backup system (6 back up drives). I don't clean up sessions often because I have had to dig in there a few times and use some old regions in the regions list to repair something that gets noticed later down the road. I'll keep you informed what I hear elsewhere too.

Thanks again for the help sir... and if anything else hits you.... jump back in!

Take care.

Back