Would like to try Pro Tools. Whats needed?

caustic69

I have been a guitarist for 20+ years, primarily metal music. I have owned tape multitrack recorders in the past and currently have a Fostex MR8 because it's easy to use. I am not too computer capable but nevertheless, I would like to try recording with Pro Tools. I have heard you can record riffs or parts of songs and then basically edit them into a song. My issue is I don't know what I need in terms of a computer, which version of Pro Tools, what kind of hardware/accessories. I don't want to go with a Mac.

If someone could literally from the ground up tell me what I would need to record guitar/bass parts. I have a regular guitar rig that would need to be mic'd and also a Line 6 POD.

Also, what is the learning curve on this? I had a Roland UR8 with Cakewalk in the past and it was really difficult to use. I'd lay down track and they would not be synchronized. (latency issues I think it was called).

Thanks for any and all help with this!

Thanks,
I read the link and it gave me some idea. However, I am still wondering about the PC requirements. What is the minimum processor speed, hard drive capacity, memory needed to pull this off?

If you're not so great with computers, why the hell WOULDN'T you want a mac?! Geez, I've been a computer tech for ten years and I still got a mac when I went to Pro Tools. They're just built for each other, end of story man! :)

If you're not so great with computers, why the hell WOULDN'T you want a mac?! Geez, I've been a computer tech for ten years and I still got a mac when I went to Pro Tools. They're just built for each other, end of story man! :)

+1 I have built PCs for years and studied to get my A+ certification. I hac nothing but heartache with PCs and DAWS, whether it was Cakewalk, n-Track or any of the other ones I tried. Until I got to PT LE 5.X and Windows. That was pretty stable, but not without the occasional glitchy behaviour and crashes.

I made the switch to Mac and although I still don't have a clue about finding my way around or configuring them, the combination of PT LE and Mac for me has been bulletproof. Literally no crashes, ever. Not blazingly fast or flashy, they just work...... all the time..... every day. I highly recommend it.

bilco

Starting your studio

Hey man, I play metal music too... death metal! I was in the same situation as you about a year ago. I'm a Mac user for some time so when I decided to start my own little personal studio I needed some advice to buy gear and know what to do. I STRONGLY recommend this book:

Guerrilla Home Recording
by Karl Curyat
The book shows you the basic thing about a home recording studio without making it complicated. It explain you the signal chain and very useful tips when you start recording. Buy it at amazon.com

My personal advice?
1. As the guy before me said: MAC + ProTools = All you need. An iMac IntelCore Duo will do the job... and it will give a killer look and feel to your "studio"
2. MBox 2 with ProTools LE: The mbox is an audio interface that lets you communicate whatever you wan to mic or direct record into your computer. Buy it at music123.com or musiciansfriend.com

And you're done. Hope this info is usefull to you.

PS: If you want to avoid latency try lowering the buffer size to 128 when recording.

Not blazingly fast or flashy, they just work...... all the time..... every day. I highly recommend it.

bilco

Well, they can be blazing fast. My Mac Pro is the fastest computer (Mac and PC) I've ever used.
And stable as hell.

You started being a computer tech at the age of 13 :eek: well at least we know you were not getting paid for it :rolleyes: :D :D :D

You started being a computer tech at the age of 13 :eek: well at least we know you were not getting paid for it :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Yes, I did. My dad's a computer programmer, and as I had my first home-built computer at 12, and considering I started fixing family members' and friends' computers at 13, I'd say that would make me a tech!

It's insane to think what my kids are going to know when they're growing up (when I decide to have 'em).

Nice cynical attitude though! A+ :D

I don't want to go with a Mac.

If someone could literally from the ground up tell me what I would need to record
guitar/bass parts. I have a regular guitar rig that would need to be mic'd and also a
Line 6 POD.

Also, what is the learning curve on this?

From your post I got the impression you are much like me. I'm a one-man musician recording original tunes out of my house. So I thought I should throw my experiences into the mix (so to speak :) ).

I can also related to your desire for a using a PC as the platform. PC’s, for good or bad, is my area of comfort, and I use the PC for more then recording. It is my feeling you can put together a plenty satisfying Pro-Tools recording setup with a PC.

I don't wanna promote one platform over another. Each has pros and cons and everyone has different priorities. I'm just one example.

I got luckier then some and stumbled into a strong performing home setup. You should read the compatibility recommendations from DigiDesign. I didn't; I just went shopping.

My system consists of:
- Gateway Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86ghz, 2 gig RAM, WinXP ME
- MBox 2 Mini / Pro-Tools LE 7.1
- I use Amplitube 2 for amp modeling, which I think is way cool!

Some options I chose (remaining budget minded):
- External USB Hard Drive (follow DigiDesign's requirements)
- I added a video card that would support two video monitors
- KRK Rockit 5 Active Monitors
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones
- Presonus FaderPort (for a little of that tactile feel)

Once all the licensing matters were sorted out, I has been smooth sailing ever since. I have not experienced any stability problems. Amplitube 2 is a resource intensive plugin and need processor power. In general, it is the signal processing plugins that demand the performance from the machine. There are techniques to use that keep latency from being a problem.

I don't do anything with mics, not at this time anyway. The MBox 2 Mini is limited to a single mono/stereo input. This isn't a limitation for me, but I can easily see that it would be for most. Without an external mixer you can't do a simple task of recording acoustic guitar with dial mics.

As far as learning curve, I'm finding it quite easy to learn. Let’s say the tool is easy to learn, however learning good audio production is a steeper curve. It might be worth noting that the UI conventions of Pro-Tools are more consistent with the Mac, for instance right-click menus don't exist. I haven't just crammed in all in, I explore things as I need them. You can checkout "The Way Through" on MySpace as an example of what I managed to do during spare time over the first four months of using Pro-Tools (keeping in mind a considerable amount of that period was writing the tune.) My only prior experience was a year and a half of recording on a Zoom MRS-8, which I keep around for quickly capturing ideas.

I know this was the kinda answer you were looking for, but in reality, there isn't a simple recipe. Know what you want to do; do some research; make choices that fit your needs.

Daren

If your used to doing all your non-pro tools stuff with windows then you should still get a mac.
I use boot camp on my Mac Pro and it all works flawlessly. (Besides the Windows operating system itself, which will never be close to flawless).

The only thing I use my windows partition for is games. But beleive me, the sooner you adapt to the Mac OS, the better. It's sooooo nice once you get used to how the Mac OS performs. I had a PC up till a year ago, that's when friend opened my eyes to the wonderful world of Macs. I swear I get twice as much done now in half the time. It's great.

So, aside from the platform, you need at a minimum:
  • PT Hardware Interface with PT LE
  • Monitors
  • Headphones
  • 1 microphone, 2 would be better
  • Computer
  • a Room or Space that sounds decent

Right now I have a Digi001 gathering dust, an Mbox (first generation), and a Digi 003 Rack that I just picked up. If you are going to be recording all by yourself or overdubbing friends 1 track at a time, I recommend some version of the Mbox. It is really my favorite interface to work with, completely portable with my laptop and as close as you can get to a Portastudio in Pro Tools.

Watch Craigslist for deals on used PT LE gear. I picked up my Mbox for $150 and the Digi 001 for $300 about 2 years ago.

On the other hand, a friend of mine just got a Digi 003 Rack through Sweetwater and any time he runs into a problem or something he doesn't understand, he calls the Sweetwater support folks. He says they have been great helping him out.

Whatever platform you decide to run on, READ EVERY COMPATIBILITY DOCUMENT YOU CAN FIND. Then, read it again. Really..... I think many of the problems posted on the DUC are due to folks not picking a system that is Digidesign approved. Even with Pro Tools Free, I bought one of the few laptops they recommended, a Dell Latitude and it worked fine. Same thing goes for external hard drives.

When you install the software, read the READ ME file first. Read ALL of the installation instructions first. Configure your system exactly how the instructions recommend. If you are not that up to speed with computers, get a computer skilled friend to do it for you. Make sure that they follow the instructions to the letter, slowly. Insist on it.... no shortcuts with this installation or you will regret it somewhere down the line.

I recommend committing the computer you use exclusively to audio recording. Turn off the network card if it has one and don't use that computer to surf the web or get e-mail. If you dedicate it to recording, there is no need for antivirus software. ...... one more reason I recommend a Mac....

Mics - Get a Shure SM57 or the equivalent, 2 if you have 2 mic inputs. Yes, there are better mics and yes, you can get a cheap Chinese condenser for the same $. But, the Shure or another dynamic mic like it will not pick up passing motorcyles, the neighbor's dog and your stomach growling.

"If someone could literally from the ground up tell me what I would need to record guitar/bass parts. I have a regular guitar rig that would need to be mic'd and also a Line 6 POD."

A Shure SM57 may not be the absolute best, but it just works!

I record my Pbass via a Sansamp XLR output into the mic preamp of the Mbox. Good rock tone.

Do as I say, not as I do: Do NOT get caught up in the "what is the best preamp, mic, converter or $XXX.XX" game on the forums. It is a waste of time and money, unless you are really going to try to compete with the pro studios out there. Record with what you have until you are really good with it.

Monitoring - Get a good, COMFORTABLE set of headphones that you won't mind wearing for an hour or so. I have Sennheiser HD280s and I do not recommend them, unless you like to have your head squeezed in a vise. Get monitors of some kind, but don't spend your life savings on them, especially if your room is not treated. I have KRK Rokit 5s, but because I am in an untreated 11' X 11' X 8' room, what I hear is not accurate.

The Room - Don't spend a bunch of money on foam. Figure out a way to hang some quilts or moving blankets behind you when you record. If you want to REALLY help the sound of the room for monitoring, look on the web for forums that explain how to use rockwool or fiberglass to cut down reflections and help tame the bass.

The software: You have everything you need in Pro Tools, reverb, compressors and EQ. Repeat, you have EVERYTHING you need in Pro Tools. Yes, there are better plugins out there and some are even free (Massey demos are great!) But for starting out, don't get caught up in all of the "Digirack plugins suck man!" threads. USE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!

"Also, what is the learning curve on this? I had a Roland UR8 with Cakewalk in the past and it was really difficult to use. I'd lay down track and they would not be synchronized. (latency issues I think it was called)."

I think Pro Tools is about as intuitive as it gets for recording software. You can be up and recording basic tracks in less than an hour after reading through the "Getting Started" guide. Basic tracking is not that hard as far as the software goes. On the other hand, editing goes as deep as you can stand and beyond. You don't have to know it all to get started and record some good sounding sessions. It is amazing software!

Latency is a problem, but here's how I deal with it:

1. Mute the track you are recording and use the hardware monitoring on the Mbox to hear what you are playing.
2. I learned this the hard way and it took hours of scouring forums to figure out the cause. Never put plugins in a session, especially on the master fader, when you are still recording the basic tracks, expecially rhythm instruments. I had a reverb on an aux channel or something and I was trying to lay down a bass track. It kept being out of time and I knew I wasn't THAT tired and THAT sloppy. Once I took all of the plugins out of the session and lay down a bass track, it was all in sync and I just put the plugins back in. Inactivating the plugins might have worked the same way, I am not sure though.

bilco

Last edited:
If your used to doing all your non-pro tools stuff with windows then you should still get a mac.
I use boot camp on my Mac Pro and it all works flawlessly. (Besides the Windows operating system itself, which will never be close to flawless).

The only thing I use my windows partition for is games. But beleive me, the sooner you adapt to the Mac OS, the better. It's sooooo nice once you get used to how the Mac OS performs. I had a PC up till a year ago, that's when friend opened my eyes to the wonderful world of Macs. I swear I get twice as much done now in half the time. It's great.

Yup, my HP Win XP PC just crashed AGAIN, right in the middle of working on the post above........ I had to start all over again on the ibook, which just like the G4 Sawtooth I also have, has never crashed, not once...... ever...... That @#$^*%$ HP crashes at least once a day, every day, no matter how I reconfigure the IRQs or reinstall the software, usually right in the middle of a long post or e-mail. I am going to spring for the Mac version of Quicken and MS Office and a Mac Mini to replace the family computer and then take great pleasure in throwing the PC over a cliff! Once you've had Mac, you'll never go back!!

bilco

I have a Mac PT TDM system and a PTLE system on Windows. I will be sticking to Windows PT systems for any future purchases (at least with the current crop of systems out there). Why? Price/performance. Yes, I could get a Macbook that would give me a ton of plugins and be stable... but I can put together a PC that will give me maybe 10% less performance for $500--1/4 of the price of a fat Macbook. I've resolved never to spend more than $1000 on a computer ever again, and I'm sticking to that, which pretty much puts Macs out of my range.

Back