whine when monitoring

Ofwag

Hi All,

I am a fingerstyle guitarist/composer and this is my first post...so be kind! Can anyone diagnose an irritating problem for me. I record using an MBox running LE7 and monitor through active Tannoy Reveals in a small room which doubles as recording space and control room. When running through the MBox my Tannoys have a low volume whine which I have learnt to live with as it doesn't appear in the mix. This does not happen when I run them through the MAudio Delta66 interface I use for other software. For reasons of desk space the MBox is very close to my left hand screen, the Delta66 a little further behind both. Could the proximity of the screen to the MBox be causing the whine?

When mixing/mastering, I've learnt to tune it out but getting rid of the interference would be a much better solution. My thanks to anyone who gives my problem a bit of their time.

For reasons of desk space the MBox is very close to my left hand screen, the Delta66 a little further behind both. Could the proximity of the screen to the MBox be causing the whine?

Move the mbox and find out. ;)
If you can't for some reason, kill the screen (at the wall) as a test.

Is there any chance the mbox outputs are unbalanced? That could absolutely make the difference.
The delta is pci based and the mbox (which one?) is usb right? That could also be the source of the problem.
These forums are littered with usb whine/buzz/hum threads so have a search for that and see what you turn up, if the above doesn't check out.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Hi Steenamaroo,

Thanks for coming back. Haven't yet had a chance to try moving/killing the screen (life keeps getting in the way). The MBox is an early sit up and beg version I bought from a local studio owner. The monitors are run from XLR sockets on the MBox using good cables with Neutrik connectors, so it not unbalanced outputs. The pci/usb thing is interesting, as I am beginning to wonder about the usb socket on the MBox although no other problems (e.g. power interruptions or nasty noises) have shown up. I'll search the forum and see if I come up with anything.

Regards

Back