Vista and pro-tools 7.4

dnkygirl

M42 Entertainment
Hi All,

I absolutely hate opening pro-tools in vista. The annoying UAC security prompt... can not be fixed for this program without digi redesigning it. I don't want to turn off the UAC because it keeps unwanted things from installing without your knowledge. I thought that 7.4 was vista compatible, but it seems like it's not.

Demi

uh-huh.

Trash vista and go back to XP. Your computer will thank you.

+1...I used vista for 7.4 for about 3 months and sold it on e-bay!!

I know what you mean about the security prompt..I would start PT and go to the bath room thinking it will be loaded when I got back....nope...forgot about the security shit!!!

The problem we all face though is that all of us are going to eventually have to say goodbye to XP and start using either Vista or Windows 7. Motherboards don't last forever. You're talking about maybe 4-6 years. I just replaced mine, and it came at about the 4 year mark. Caps have a limited life span, and there is no way to change it.

The motherboards that will be available for purchase 3 or 4 years from now or perhaps even earlier will not be XP compatible. This is the nature of the industry.

Personally, I rather dislike it. I love XP for recording.

Tell me if im wrong, but someone told me the rumor that microsoft was going to discontinue Windows Vista due to the lack of succes among users, and its going to launch another Windows version.

Tell me if im wrong, but someone told me the rumor that microsoft was going to discontinue Windows Vista due to the lack of succes among users, and its going to launch another Windows version.

I don't know about trashing VISTA..But I do know there working on a new version of windows already

This is true and false. They are repackaging it and calling it windows 7. Windows 7 will be released by the end of the year. Vista is suffering the same way windows millinium did.... people were not ready for change... and the UAC sucks... i really don't care how safe it makes the machine. Known programs should be allowed to run without prompting you everytime you open them.

Slightly related, i am also using pro tools7.4 and windows vista

And it reads, the application failed to start because dhl.dll wasn't found, anyone have a similar problem? Is it my set up? Or am i just going to have to reinstall PT?

And it reads, the application failed to start because dhl.dll wasn't found, anyone have a similar problem? Is it my set up? Or am i just going to have to reinstall PT?

A friend that works in digidesing told me that protools isnt supported by Vista, now i dont know if they already fixed that problem..

A friend that works in digidesing told me that protools isnt supported by Vista, now i dont know if they already fixed that problem..

No it's not... i'm runnin 7.4 cs5. Vista classified programs don't prompt you to open. Only windows xp programs that have not been changed do. Looks like digi tested to see if it would run under Vista, and failed to let everyone know that hey... it's still using xp coding...

Do you have any plugins installed? Sounds like a bad plugin...try uninstalling all plugins first and then start protools without them. Then re-install each one and re-start protools so you can figure out which one is causing the problem.

Do you have any plugins installed? Sounds like a bad plugin...try uninstalling all plugins first and then start protools without them. Then re-install each one and re-start protools so you can figure out which one is causing the problem.

+1..I had to update my waves plugs for vista..PT would crash on start up until I removed the waves plugins....what a pain in the ass...thats why I went back to xp!!

The problem we all face though is that all of us are going to eventually have to say goodbye to XP and start using either Vista or Windows 7. Motherboards don't last forever. You're talking about maybe 4-6 years. I just replaced mine, and it came at about the 4 year mark. Caps have a limited life span, and there is no way to change it.

The motherboards that will be available for purchase 3 or 4 years from now or perhaps even earlier will not be XP compatible. This is the nature of the industry.

I was saying the same thing to myself 6 years ago about Windows 2k when xp came out. It's hard to say though which way Vista will go however.

When XP first came out it was so buggy, and had a lot of annoying glitches, so much so I figured I'd stick with what was working for me, win 2000. Eventually service packs were released for XP, and a decent knowledge base was formed on the net, and it was accepted. I don't think the same will be true for Vista, but you can count on Microsoft doing something to make the next o/s very useable.

Microsoft will either release some patches, hot fix’s or service packs to make Vista decent or discontinue and go with windows 7.

Etiher way - unless you're a glutton for punishment I can't see why you would adopt a new o/s this early, let everyone else work out the bugs and make the move once its had a more thorough public hazing.

Stick with what is known to work, go xp and know that you will have to change o/s's in the next 3-7 years.

or give what benny suggested a go

Or, just buy a MAC next time. I think that's what i'm doing next time I buy a computer.

that's what I decided last time I needed a new computer....haven't even once regretted the slightest thing about it.

Actually, that's not entirely true. It used to be quite exciting knowing that at any moment I might have to rebuild my computer, or that it might crash on me. With a mac, that excitement's gone....

I'm using Vista SP1 with PT 7.4, 003R and an MBox 2 and HP laptop - I am having no problems with either system. I don't know what all the fuss is about - seriously.

Get with the times.

I am having no problems with either system. I don't know what all the fuss is about - seriously.

Well of course you don't. You're just THAT good. And folks that are just that good have a hard time looking down the end of their noses at the rest of the mucks in the fodder-seriously

Back