using a mixer with MBOX2/Pt?

Monster Man... how ya doin' bud?

I'm assuming you're using the Hammer moreSpace external hard drive, from what I can tell from specs, it's just not going to cut for you. Maximum bus rate is typical USB drive vendor fluff... 480mbps, if that was what you were getting, you wouldn't be having these issues. Unfortunately it goes off the rails where all USB drives do, at the sustained rate, 34mbps, just not enough to drive audio my friend.

Here's the link to Digi's hard drive specs;
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&categoryid=35&itemid=23114

Hey Brad:)
thanks for the reply and info mate
as well as can be expected id have to say !
im pissed off at finding out ive bought a hard drive thats not good for PT
especially as i spent a longtime looking for a bargain before buying.

Such is life i guess. I iwll just have to lookout for a firewire drive when i can afford it,as long as you guys keep me right of course:o
as its obvious i shouldnt even be allowed out on my own:(
ah well,,such is life i guess
i shall have a wee look at that link now mate,assuming i can understand:eek:
thanks again
:cool:

well,,i had a look,for all the good it did me!
i know i have a PT LE setup , but i have to admit that im none the wiser mate

Last edited:
Don't Let it discourage you a buddy of mine had the same issue with a external hard drive so he just recorded onto the computer and then dumped the files over to his external and just mixed them off of it. All of the files transferred just fine so he was cool with it. Maybe something you should try doing if that

so he just recorded onto the computer and then dumped the files over to his external and just mixed them off of it. All of the files transferred just fine so he was cool with it.

Be very VERY careful here. OSX is a clever Operating System and it can distribute files in a much more efficient manner than Mac OS's in the past. That said audio is by nature fragmentary. Feeding audio files to the drive that spins your applications is NEVER, NEVER a good idea. Nothing good can come of it...period. Because it works does NOT make it a sensible thing to do.

Further I don't know what the current speed of Mini Mac's internal drives are. Some I've noticed as low as 4800 rpm. That's not enough to properly stream audio and just enough to lull you into a false sense of security.

Finally. Monsterpop I know your just getting started in all of this but it seems like everyday your getting yourself in some kind of tech problem corner. That's of course just fine at this stage but......your Mac is not a bottomless pit. You've got gads of non-supported plug-ins downloaded..and who knows what else. That and now people are suggesting you record to your internal drive. Sooner or later if you don't start organizing your gonna be boxed in a corner with no way out.

Proceed with caution.

Sorry, didnt realize he said he was on a mac, but i do a lot of mixing for clients and I transfer files back and forth between my 4gb flash drive and because it was formatted for windows I have to drag and drop onto my mac. So I drop it onto desktop in OSX tiger mix it then toss it back on my flash drive and no problem as of yet, but I know using it to mix and record is 2 different issues. Even though I have recorded a few sessions and done it like that as well but I do know the possibility for something to go wrog does exist.

Sorry, didnt realize he said he was on a mac, but i do a lot of mixing for clients and I transfer files back and forth between my 4gb flash drive and because it was formatted for windows I have to drag and drop onto my mac. So I drop it onto desktop in OSX tiger mix it then toss it back on my flash drive and no problem as of yet, but I know using it to mix and record is 2 different issues. Even though I have recorded a few sessions and done it like that as well but I do know the possibility for something to go wrog does exist.

Naw don't be sorry..you were (are) trying to help and that's a good thing!
We just gotta be careful we don't deal out bum info!

Don't Let it discourage you a buddy of mine had the same issue with a external hard drive so he just recorded onto the computer and then dumped the files over to his external and just mixed them off of it. All of the files transferred just fine so he was cool with it. Maybe something you should try doing if that

thats actually exactly what ive been doing mate,,
and saving a copy on the external drive as well
:cool:cheers

Be very VERY careful here. OSX is a clever Operating System and it can distribute files in a much more efficient manner than Mac OS's in the past. That said audio is by nature fragmentary. Feeding audio files to the drive that spins your applications is NEVER, NEVER a good idea. Nothing good can come of it...period. Because it works does NOT make it a sensible thing to do.

Further I don't know what the current speed of Mini Mac's internal drives are. Some I've noticed as low as 4800 rpm. That's not enough to properly stream audio and just enough to lull you into a false sense of security.

Finally. Monsterpop I know your just getting started in all of this but it seems like everyday your getting yourself in some kind of tech problem corner. That's of course just fine at this stage but......your Mac is not a bottomless pit. You've got gads of non-supported plug-ins downloaded..and who knows what else. That and now people are suggesting you record to your internal drive. Sooner or later if you don't start organizing your gonna be boxed in a corner with no way out.

Proceed with caution.

thanks for the reply again Joseph
im just tryin to do my best mate,as i say
i think ive gotten some really excellent results from it so far
as far as recording my songs go,though im very much a beginner
and im very pleased with what is being produced
these problems havent suddenly all happened at once mate,
so dont get me wrong,or think im hitting the keys with a hammer:o

i just think that on here,
and on the ProTools Forum has the guys to help me out and put me right

i dont want to feel stupid by asking things, but i really do struggle with it
so i have no choice, other than google problems
and as ive found, that can lead me into even worse problems

so feel more likely to trust advice from these 2 forums instead

ive been doing what RD243 said,and it seems to be pretty good
until suchtime as i can get a firewire drive of course

as far as i was advised,
by friends who use them,and by what i could find online
a Mac mini is perfectly usable for running PT
and the spec of the one i have should be up to the task with ease im told

there are just a few problems

i appreciate any and all help and advice i am offered on here
and will continue to do so

cheers
:cool:

ive been doing what RD243 said,and it seems to be pretty good
until suchtime as i can get a firewire drive of course

as far as i was advised,
by friends who use them,and by what i could find online
a Mac mini is perfectly usable for running PT
and the spec of the one i have should be up to the task with ease im told

Yes of course don't feel bad about asking questions :)

At the risk of beating a dead horse I'll say it one more time ( and I promise not to tell you I told you so) Recording to your internal drive is a bad idea...period. Because you can...because someone said it was cool to do..because it's working now doesn't change the fact that its a bad idea period. Sorry but just trying to help.

I've done enough tech supporting over the years to be fairly confident along this tack. You will (there is no doubt) at some point pay a fairly steep price for recording to your application drive.

Yes of course don't feel bad about asking questions :)

At the risk of beating a dead horse I'll say it one more time ( and I promise not to tell you I told you so) Recording to your internal drive is a bad idea...period. Because you can...because someone said it was cool to do..because it's working now doesn't change the fact that its a bad idea period. Sorry but just trying to help.

I've done enough tech supporting over the years to be fairly confident along this tack. You will (there is no doubt) at some point pay a fairly steep price for recording to your application drive.

cheers mate:) no need to say sorry,as i know you know your stuff VERY well!
i just really dont have a choice right now im afraid
unless i just stop recording til i can buy a firewire drive

i know theres a chance that it will all go tits up on me at some point

when i first got the ext drive,,
i thought id lost some sessions because i plugged it into my pc to transfer stuff between the two,,,but after much gnashing of teeth and hair pulling i managed to rescue it using Data Rescue 2

id found exactly the wrong advice on how to use an ext drive on both Mac and pc, by googling it:eek: typical form for me really

so that show it goes for me im afraid mate
one step forward,,2 steps back:o

i have recently moved from Scotland to Texas
so all of my guitars n other stuff are still back home to be sold
but trying to get busy people who had great intentions saying the would sell them,,actually TO sell them
is provin tough,,hence me being so broke

otherwise id have a firewire drive and hopefully be flying right now;-)

thanks again for the help and advice:cool:

Hi Joseph
what is it exactly that would happen mate?
do you mean some kind of big crash or freeze up type thing where the sessions would be lost?
it already freezes often enough and give me the rainbow wheel of death
but thats almost always when im tryin to import a wav drum loop:confused:

"At the risk of beating a dead horse I'll say it one more time ( and I promise not to tell you I told you so) Recording to your internal drive is a bad idea...period. Because you can...because someone said it was cool to do..because it's working now doesn't change the fact that its a bad idea period. Sorry but just trying to help."

because it's working now doesn't change the fact that its a bad idea period. Sorry but just trying to help.

Wasn't stating doing this method as the best idea but just stating if he has no other choice for the time being not meaning it as a long term solution just something short term.

Back