Troubleshooting Pro Tools Sound Quality Problems. Help!

brandonrw

Hello all,

Long time reader, first post, and in need of some help with my current PT rig. I have searched old posts/faq's/etc/etc. and wasn't able to find anything quite like what I am experiencing so here goes...

I am running PT 9 on a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 Mac running OSX 10.6.8, interface is an M-Audio Fast track pro.

I have been working with my current recording setup for over 2 years now, but I recently noticed some sound quality discrepancies with some plugins that are starting to become more and more apparent. For the sake of explanation, I will use Guitar Rig 5 as my example as that it is where it is blatently obvious.

You can use Guitar Rig 5 as a stand alone application, or as a plugin in your DAW. When I run GR5 as a standalone application, the sound quality is very noticeably better than when I use it as an insert in PT. I have double checked all settings within GR5 itself, and the standalone and the insert match exactly. Also, I am using the Hi quality setting within GR5 on both. When in pro tools, I am not using any other plugins/sends/etc. on the track. I have tried both mono and mono/stereo versions of the plugin and get the same results.

The best way for me to describe the difference in sound quality is that it seems like a lower quality version of the same sound - its not unbearably different, but its noticable enough. I think part of the reason I am just now noticing this is that I have recently started working on much higher quality projects as apposed to just demoing ideas and the sound quality in the guitars I was working with just dont even compare to what I can get outside of pro tools with the same application.

Here are some thoughts from my end and a few other tidbits in case they might help:

1. I am really starting to think that this is something that affects ANYTHING that is recorded in pro tools via my interface, not just guitar tracks with GR5 (i.e. vocals too). I can eliminate any possible issues with the interface itself because I know that it works well with the standalone GR5 application outside of PT. I have not tested this with any other applications but I think this one instance should be enough to rule out that possibility. If I need to test it further, I can record a quick vox take in some simple sound recorder application to compare to PT.

2. All sessions/tracks play back accurately in pro tools. What I mean is, I recently had a few sessions tracked at a studio elsewhere, and I can import those sessions and play them without issue - sound quality is perfect. Also, tracks play back exactly as they were recorded - so if I record a terrible sounding guitar with GR5, it plays back just as terrible. If I import a perfect audio file, it plays back perfect. This is definitely an issue that is only effecting tracking.

3. My gut is telling me that there is something either with my session setup, pro tools or mac settings, or my hardware settings with regards to audio that is causing this problem. I recently trashed pro tools prefs to see if i had botched something there along the way but the issue is still there. I am not super experienced with handling all of the SETTINGS for pro tools so its possible that I am doing something stupid here. I found a few other posts with suggested settings and I don't see anything out of line, but again I could be missing something.

Last few notes. My sessions are 24/44.1, interface settings on the Mac are set to the same. If its needed, I can record a sample via the Tape Deck in GR5 so that you may hear the difference there vs. the PT session.

Thank you in advance for all of your help - its very much appreciated!

Hi,
I have no idea what the problem could be, but posting a clip might be a good idea.

Do you notice this problem on playback of a recording, or is it just live. IE, while you're playing?
The only discrepancy I can think of is latency, which wouldn't make anything lower quality, but it can be off-putting and deceptive.

Hi,
I have no idea what the problem could be, but posting a clip might be a good idea.

Do you notice this problem on playback of a recording, or is it just live. IE, while you're playing?
The only discrepancy I can think of is latency, which wouldn't make anything lower quality, but it can be off-putting and deceptive.

I will see if I can post a clip as an example tomorrow.

Whether I am actually recording in Pro Tools or just monitoring live via Pro Tools, the sound quality is worse than the stand alone. Its kinda like the quality of the VST is poorer than that of the stand alone application which makes absolutely no sense to me. It definitely loses a lot of the sparkle in the highs, and any drive gets a bit more muddy.

Once I post a clip it should help explain a bit better.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hello all,

When I run GR5 as a standalone application, the sound quality is very noticeably better than when I use it as an insert in PT.

!

Bump!
I have the same problem... I have fiddled with the sample rate, latency etc... GR5 sounds are fuzzy/fizzy when used as a PT plugin, but ok as a standalone.

Ok. So I have been looking for a solution to this same problem for a long time now and stumbled across this forum yesterday. Today after doing some more research I have found what may be a solution. And at a first attempt my guitar recording seems to be sounding exactly as I played it. Note I am running pt8 le 8.0.5 on win 7 64. So first and most importantly is setting up your session. Set to bwf (.wav), bit depth 24 bit, sample rate I use is 48 kHz, most important is the I/O setting this needs to be set to stereo mix, I believe this to be the problem solver.
I knew this set up had done something new to my session as when I created a new track in the session under I/O it has analog 1,2 now, where as before it was just in 1,2 etc. And I'll be honest I noticed a difference as soon as I plugged my guitar in. It already sounded better and then added amplitube 3 also set to high quality and used the fender twin reverb and it has never sounded this good apart from in stand alone mode, I recorded a bit and it played back as clean and nice as it sounded when I was playing.
The other settings to look at are the playback ones under the set up tab. I changed these to the optimal setting and this again for me made it all sound amazing. Obviously having an optimal playback setting will slow down you computer especially with multiple CPU hungry amp sims but that's not a concern for me all I care about is that finally it seems my guitar is sounding as it should and I wasn't imagining my guitar as sounding awful when I recorded.
I really have just done this so of course I need to experiment a lot more but I am feeling pretty confident that it has solved the issue of muddy guitar recordings for me.

Back