tempo for mixing?

crashdiary27

Hello all! I ve got a question regarding the tempo as far as mixing goes in pro tools 10. I don't use PT to record but I am going to be using it for mixing. My question is....if im importing tracks form my Tascam neo to mix in PT do I need to set up a tempo or just add the tracks and go from there? If the correct tempo isn't set will it effect my mix at all? Thanks for any replies.

Hi Crashdiary27,
you do not have to worry about tempo, it will not affect your mix at all. Simply import your audio tracks. Tempo only affects MIDI tracks.

If you intend to compose midi parts, or use the grid for editing/snapping reference, you should set up a session tempo and line your tracks up to comply.

If these things don't interest you then there's no need to worry about session tempo.

Awesome. thanks guys!

I got a little confused when I was importing them...when I hit the add button a message popped up saying the song might not play back at the right speed. I then tried hitting the convert button before adding them and I didn't get that message. No clue what that was about either.

You were probably trying to import files with a different sample rate than the session. For example, if you import 44.1k files into a 48k session, the audio will play back faster than it should and the tuning will be sharp.

You can either convert or create the session at the sample rate you recorded the files.

When you go ti 'import', select a file, down toward the bottom of that window it should tell you info about the file, the sample rate should be there. It should also say somewhere in the audio pool.

Thanks again! You seem to know things about pro tools. How are the presets? Usable? I keep hearing amazing things about reaper...would that be a better option? Sorry...this whole DAW thing is new to me. I know how noobs can be frustrating. Switching from a standalone machine is becoming more difficult than I thought.

edit- btw we mostly record pop punk.

Hi,
With any DAW or plugin set the presets can be interesting and sometimes helpful, but I'd never put full trust in them.
Take them as potential starting points but, please, always make decisions based on what you hear and what you want to hear.

For example, a 'pop vocal' preset on a multi band compressor will probably push the highs out quite a bit, but what if you're already struggling with sibilance? Big problem, see?

As far as Reaper vs Protools I'd just ask your wallet what it thinks. ;)

If you happen to know one of them very well already, or if you rely on compatibility with other engineers or studios, then maybe the decision's made for you already but, if not, just try out reaper and save yourself from a money pit.

I'm a long time PT user, btw, so there's no ignorant bias involved.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the money is a definite selling point. My friend had told me reaper is much easier to learn and use right out of the box. Although trying to do research between the two I can't get a clear answer on it...as everyone likes different things and use them for different things etc....its kinda stressing me out lol.

Although trying to do research between the two I can't get a clear answer on it...as everyone likes different things and use them for different things etc....its kinda stressing me out lol.

That might seem like inconclusive research but I'd say that's the best answer you can get.

Apart from what I said above, it really is just preference.
Some people prefer the flexible routing of reaper, others like the powerful built in pitch/time correction tools in PT etc.

Ultimately they both do the same thing and any minor differences between the two aren't likely to be enough matter.
I'm sure they both have their faults too.

Well after fooling around with pro tools im already pretty much sold...the only thing I cant seem to figure out is how to make a master fader...again im a newb. Id like to say that I really appreciate all the feedback and taking the time to help me out.

Thanks again! You seem to know things about pro tools. How are the presets? Usable? I keep hearing amazing things about reaper...would that be a better option? Sorry...this whole DAW thing is new to me. I know how noobs can be frustrating. Switching from a standalone machine is becoming more difficult than I thought.

edit- btw we mostly record pop punk.
I know almost nothing about Protools. But all DAWs basically work the same way.

For the most part, it doesn't matter which DAW you choose. They all do the same thing.

Well after fooling around with pro tools im already pretty much sold...the only thing I cant seem to figure out is how to make a master fader...again im a newb. Id like to say that I really appreciate all the feedback and taking the time to help me out.

I'd encourage you try give others a try too, but mainly because PT is very expensive.
Well, the watered down versions aren't but they don't work...apparently. ;)

To make a new master fader, and I'm no being funny, go to track>new>master.
Be sure to set it to stereo.

Last edited:
Interesting. In Reason, when you import an audio file, it plays at the BPM set, so midi and audio will match. Tried it last night. Don't even know how it knows where the beats are...Imported a song into Reason and pushed the BPM down so I could learn a solo, then slowly pushed it back to normal so I could learn to play at speed. Nice learning tool (sounds funny though).
There are some interesting things that you can do with that, though. If you take an audio recording with a sharp ending, add a long loop echo and then increase the bpm linearly through the echos, the echoes get faster and faster. Did that (well, the opposite) on one of my songs.

I'd encourage you try give others a try too, but mainly because PT is very expensive.
Well, the watered down versions aren't but they don't work...apparently. ;)

To make a new master fader, and I'm no being funny, go to track>new>master.
Be sure to set it to stereo.

well how did I miss that? :facepalm:

Back