Swithing LE system to different mac

Solid Sound

Heres my scenario. I was running a Mac G5 Dual 2 ghz with the original M-Box. The Logic Board went out, so I need to upgrade. I need to know if I got a G5 quad would I be able to just put my hard drive in it and be good to go. Also I'm looking at an Intel Mac, preferably, and need to know exactly what I'd have to get up and running again. I know that I need pro tools le 8.0 for intel and osx 10.5 and that 8.0.3 is the highest le version supporting original mbox. If I got the intel mac could I just plug my hard drive in it instal 10.5 and buy the 8.0 upgrade and everything work fine. Whats the exact procedure for doing this. Thank you in advance for your time it is very appreciated.

I might not be following you correctly, but I wouldn't bother with removing/replacing the hard drive if you got an intel machine.

The G5 was tiger right?

I think your best bet is to buy and set up an intel mac with 10.5, then connect the two machines via firewire and run the migration assistant.

I don't know the specifics of this, but I know it's designed to 'copy your crap' to a new machine.

Do you currently own Pro Tools 6 or 7?
If you don't, you have to pay full whack for pt 8 9 or 10.

If you do, you should get a discounted crossgrade. You certainly do for 9 + 10. Can't see why 8 would be any different.

The problem with that is the g5 is blown so it wont work. Guess I could get the intel and take it and the old hard drive to a certified apple tech and have him migrate the info for me. I do currently own pt le 7.1 so for bout $150 I can upgrade to 8.0. If I go any higher than 8.0 I'd have to buy a new interface being that the original mbox is only supported with pt le 8.0.1 and lower and mac osx 10.5/6. What a hastle this is turning out to be.

Ah, I understand. OK. When you say blown, what's wrong? (just out of interest)

If it's possible to do an OS upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 without loosing your data, then sure give that a shot.

I wouldn't be 100% confident that an intel mac will be happy booting from your old os drive, and also some G5s had IDE hard drives where new intel machines have sata.

I also think (but am not certain) that some files within osx have a record of the computer's unique serial number (applesmbios.kext?), meaning that the os install wouldn't be switchable, even between g5s.

That said, I could be completely wrong so check it all out for yourself and be certain.

Personally, I'd buy a new machine, either g5 or intel, then get/borrow a usb or firewire HDD caddy so i could slave the old drive and back up my stuff.

Heck, you could even do that, then use your old hdd as external storage or as an audio drive if it's quick enough.

Back