Strange Echo

sblmgregory

I went to lay down a guitar trac tonight, no effects, nothing, just a plain trac. When I hit the record button I noticed I had an echo that makes it virtually impossible the hear yourself play. I have been fooling with the configs recently and might have done some I shouldn't have. Any ideas?

Scott

Which version of pro tools? what interface?

Check in the top menus under "setup" then "playback engine"

Make sure it is set to the lowest setting. If you are using digi/avid hardware and PT 9 make sure low latency monitoring is on. If you are using PT 10 make sure low latency monitoring is on as well.

PT 8, with a MBOX mini. I've done a good bit of recording with the same setup and this hasn't happen before. It must be something I've changed inadvertantly doing some mixing

Is it an echo, as in you hear the original sound with a repeat after it, or are you just hearing yourself delayed, IE you hear it once?

If it's the latter ddrummer is right; This is latency.

Turning the buffer setting down to 256 or 128 should make it acceptable.

Well to me it's delayed. I had my headphones on, and as I played my acoustic guitar, the notes I played blurred together

YES, that did it. I don't no what this is but that was the cause. Without getting too deep what do all these "settings" do?

Thanks

now i remember ...i had an error message that says "increase buffer size" so I did that. It also said something else I can't remember....too many cosmos!

this is the error I'm talking about
protools error 1.22.12.jpg and when I increase the buffer size Its sounds like there's an echo when I record. Any suggestions to fix this so that it's accepatble during both recording and mixing?

this is the error I'm talking about
and when I increase the buffer size Its sounds like there's an echo when I record. Any suggestions to fix this so that it's accepatble during both recording and mixing?

protools error 1.22.12.jpg

Basically, your computer isn't fast enough for what you're doing.

Increasing the buffer size will result in greater performance for mixing and playback. You'd be able to use more vsts, more tracks etc, but you'll have noticeable latency.

Decreasing the buffer size will reduce latency but will also mean you computer may struggle to play back and record with large numbers of tracks and/or effects.

I think it's similar to a buffer in old portable cd players. It keeps say, a second ahead in memory, so if there is a skip, memory can fill in the blanks, but technically you hear everything one second late (except the thing you're recording).

Your options are to do one of the following.

1: Remove all other devices from firewire bus. If you have an hdd or whatever, unplug that.

2: Optimise your PC. Disable antivirus and any other unnecessary programs.
(google msconfig)

3: Upgrade your PC. Use system monitoring tools to find the weak link. If the firewire message isn't accurate, it's likely to be hard drive, memory or cpu.

4: Render some of your tracks so you have fewer real time effects.

5: Bus some of the tracks to a common effect instead of having several instances, if possible.

6: Disable some of the tracks and reduce buffer size for recording, then re enable the tracks and increase buffer size for mixing.

7: Same as 6 but create a stereo bounce of your mix to use as a recording backing track. Line the bounce up with the originals, and disable all the original individual tracks while you record.
You would still decrease buffer size to record then increase again to mix.

Last edited:
Back