Real Time Bouncing

I actually really appreciate being forced to give one more listen!

I use the bounce time as a final celebration when I am doing a big mix job, close my eyes the whole time and make sure I can live with it. With Stems this has saved me numerous times especially.

Anything that slows down the digital recording process seems to be a good thing for me. I know this doesnt really apply to those who are doing quicker and or less crucial bounces... but i dig it most of the time.

The only time I run into trouble with RT bounce is when I'm working with video. Sitting though a 1/2 hour piece 1....more....time... isn't pleasant. Especially when I know its all ones and zeros and just about every other platform would render mixes in a few minutes. (sigh). I had Nuendo at a job for a while and got kinda spoiled with it- until the company went down. Still in negotiations over who gets some of the gear instead of getting paid... :D Wish me luck.

For songs, though, it never bothered me. And the digi recomended method of bussing to a new track is the way to go.

When I was using Sonar Home Studio, I would bounce in realtime anyway, because I was using sampled instruments, and the hard drive needed to be able to keep up.

But I suppose for people that record just audio, or always "freezes" their virtual instruments, a fast bounce option would be very helpful in Pro Tools.

*edit: or for people who have very capable computers

I bounced down a wedding service the other day, and a fast bounce would have been helpful.

Yeah, but when you have a session that went until 3am and you want to go home and sleep; suddenly the client wants a copy of all 13 tracks you worked on that day, now you have another 60 minutes of bouncing to do. PT should give you the option.

yea, but now you get to charge for another hour :D

Perhaps I should re-phrase: Don't go looking for *additional* free plugins: Pro Tools doesn't support VST.

I agree, their EQ is pretty nifty :) I just miss my 20 or so go-to plugins I used in Sonar!

this is an uneducated answer, and hopefully not a reason a lot of people don't want to get in to PT.

a very simple workaround.

fxpansion's vst to rtas adapter software...whenever installing a new vst, scan it in with that software, and it shows up in pro-tools...works like a charm for me.

Back