Question to anyone using the Firewire 1814

fris9

This may be a stupid question, but why is the sound so much "thinner" when plugging into the 1/4 inputs on the back, rather than the front XLR's? Is there a remedy?

I'm going from a preamp (either a UA610 or the pres on my Mackie mixer) with a line out into the 1/4's on the back of the 1814. The tracks recorded from using those inputs are noticeably different than the ones using the XLRs on the front.

Well, you're using different preamps, so it's going to be a different sound. Your 610 should (hopefully!) sound a lot different from the builtin m-audio pres.

It doesn't, that's what I'm confused about. If I go from my 610 to the front inputs (xlrs) it sounds fuller, louder, etc than when I go into the back 1/4's. I was wondering whether it was because they were 1/4 inputs, whether it's because the back inputs are 96hz and the fronts are 192. ?? It's obviously (to me anyway) not the preamp, it's the input because no matter what pre I use going into the 1/4's it sounds thin, and likewise, no matter what I use into the XLR's it sounds much better.

If you're going into the xlr's on the 1418, they're going through another preamp, so they're being amped twice, which would result in a different sound.

Back