Punching problems

fris9

So out of nowhere tonight I'm going to record some tracks, go back in to do some punching, highlight the area I want to punch in, rewind for pre-roll, and when I hit record instead of playing and then punching in where the highlight starts, it begins recording immediately. Help?!

Not sure what you mean by rewind for pre-roll, but in your transport the "pre-roll" button has to be lit green and the pre-roll time set to how long you want it to play before the punch at the highlighted area.

Sounds like you're not using the built in preroll feature.

You're just rewinding a few bars before you record so you get a lead in right?

Right click on the main record button on the transport. You should see four options.

Normal
Loop
Destructive
Quickpunch.

AFAIK, you'd have to select quick punch to enable it.

Sorry for the delay in getting back here. Yes, to answer the previous question, I'm highlighting where I want to punch, rewinding, then going from there. Never had a problem before, now it just starts recording immediately. I tried right clicking the record button, but then when I go to rewind to begin punching the highlighted portion disappears.??

If you have pre roll enabled and quick punch on and it still is not working look for a button called " link time line and edit selection" or something along those lines (its under the hand tool and others along the top) unckecking this will allow you to highlight area as well as move timeline bar back. Hopefully that works

Hmmm.....tried that, same result...highlighted area goes away as soon as I tried to rewind. Just to be clear, I'm not using any "pre-roll" function, i guess i was using that as a term for what i was doing, which was just rewinding before the punch. Whenever I've punched I've never used anything other than just highlighting the area, rewinding, and going.

Hmm. I'm sorry man, It's not something I use, but since no one else is here.......:p

I know you say you never had to before, but try using preroll.

AFAIK, you're meant to select the region you wanna record over, enable pre and post roll, the adjust the preroll to where you want to start.

Try that and see if it helps.

Pro Tools is always bugging me by just changing things (seemingly) at random.
Like, ordinarily timeline is linked to region selection, but sometimes it just isn't and I have to go and find the option to fix it! :(

Thanks for the help.....maybe a stupid question, but how do I enable pre and post roll? Also, what is AFAIK? : )

AFAIK is as far as i know, AFAIK.lol.

If you go to window > transport you should see the transport window. (not even trying to sound cheeky there)

On that you click on the words pre-roll and post-roll.

If memory serves, they should become high-ligthted in green.

Cool, that works. Not sure why I still can't do it the way I used to do it (much easier), but I'll take it. Thanks for the help!

Back