pt rant

I'll be honest, I skipped over the rest of your post. If you're not willing to read others' posts, why should we read yours?

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but mercy.............that's incredibly demeaning.

wow you guys are quick to the trigger eh?! :D

Simply put, I skimmed them.

I have an (I believe) informed opinion on the matter, and admitting that I perhaps didn't give my full, undivided attention to about 10 posts which basically repeat the first 10 posts of the thread isn't a reason to get in a huff. I can understand the frustration that the OP feels concerning the state of his system, don't get me wrong. I'm not about to start gushing empathy simply to keep from treading on feelings - especially when I disagree quite strongly with the initial statement, which seems to me both misguided and a woefully unfair judgement of the situation.

I stand by the contents of my previous post.

I extend my apologies to anyone who, directly or indirectly, felt insulted by those 11 words. I think if you take the time to read thru some of my other posts, I'm not a flamer or a troll.

I extend my apologies to anyone who, directly or indirectly, felt insulted by those 11 words. I think if you take the time to read thru some of my other posts, I'm not a flamer or a troll.

I know your are not a flamer or a troll :) Still and that said. I feel like there was some extreme opinions that were MOST definitely not fodder or hash or most assuredly re-hash. Some genuine agreements and disagreements which rose above the day to day wives tales that are internet forum bullshit.

You may have thought that it was beneath you. But I didn't :)

You may have thought that it was beneath you. But I didn't :)

Beneath me???

Are you kidding me?!!!!

You're reading far too much into this Joe. Who are you to judge what I was thinking based on the fact that I admitted - quite simply - that I skipped a few posts? I never said anything untoward in my post concerning the contents of said posts. In fact, there was nothing insulting about my post whatsoever.

Dredging up this old thread to provide a little closure:

The memory of those three straight days holed up in the basement trying to force XP onto my new computer still haunts me.. not pleasant. And thr ASIO drivers I had to end up using only supported inputs 1 and 2. Not a huge problem since I'm a one-man band, but inconvenient.

I have learned to love reaper. More than ProTools, in fact, though I'm convinced that's just a matter of taste, not saying it's better, just better for me personally. The ability to use any plugins I want, especially all those free ones, is nice, though I've heard more recent PT versions are more welcoming than my old 6.4.

I sold a bunch of my mediocre-to-crappy rack gear and bought a mackie 820i, an onyx mixer with firewire integrated, so if I'm even unable to use it for digital recording i have a quality analogue mixer.

I fully admit that expecting a piece of computer hardware to last more than a decade is unrealistic. Still, I don't like that. I'm not willing to submit that planned obsolescence is a necessary evil of perpetual innovation. I can't fault Digi in particular, though, that's the way the tech industry goes. I'm still pissed my new computer couldn't be outfitted with one of those huge 3" wide printer ports so I could still use my printer from high school. I old, stubborn, and cheap. All I can do is vote with my wallet, and to that end I'll be tending towards gear that is less proprietary, more flexible, and more adaptable to make sure I get the most use for the most years for my money.

PT and the Digi gear might be great, but it's just not for me. It took me 10 years to realize that, but I learned a lot about recording on the way.

LOVE the mackie, better pre's than the 001 and far more flexible, love reaper for its flexibility as well.

And I set up my old computer, in its old configuration, with the 001, so my son can start learning to record! Makes me almost glad the resale value was so low. Sharing a hobby with your kid is its own special privilege.

Anyhow, happy ending*. Peace, love, and pizza grease!

*No, not that kind of happy ending.

i believe that they could have supported it for maybe 2-3 more years based on the fact that pt is tied to digi hardware only but eh this happens sooner or later

If you happen to like pro tools as a DAW just get rid of your 001 and look for a new option in hardware, buy pro tools nine (which is not hardware dependent) and get back to making those mixes :)

New Here

I am new hear but I figured I would chime in. I have been using Pro tool for over 12 years at this point and at first I was with the 01 and after about 4 years with that I was a little pissed knowing I "HAD" to switch the hardware to gain access to new software but now I realize that after trying to cut corners and use this patch with that software and this version with that patch and this third party that and at the end of the day still have problems with no support that if you want the new you have to take the plunge, if not stick with your current set up if it works.

I am running an O2 rack system with Pro tools 9 now on a MAC and am grateful that it supported the O2, the new features such as being able to use the computer totally stand alone without the rack, the additional audio features and tracks, the compatibility with so many other interfaces now and the fact you can load from many other software bundles is awesome and well worth the $261 upgrade.

I know I say now that for a project studio what more would I need but I know sometime down the road it will be time to switch hardware if i do get to know what "more" I need.

You gotta roll with the changes or deal with the headaches trying to cut corners.

My 2 Cents
Drew

Back