Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Protools "phase" issue (while recording vocals with headphones). Need help!

roland.19 is offline Registered User
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks Steenamaroo! That sounds like something that would work, I will try it tonight and let you know! Thanks so much.

Steenamaroo is offline Honorary Old Fart.
    No probs, and good call BSG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?

bouldersoundguy is offline Modulator
    Quote Originally Posted by roland.19 View Post
    That is actually something I have tried. I turn the knob on the Fast Track pro all the way to the right (for PT monitoring) and that is when it sounds strange. When I start to blend it more to the direct Fast Track monitoring (by turning the knob to the left) the "phase" sound goes away. That leads me to believe that it is a different issue.
    Hm, that sounds like there may be a dual path within PT. If you have a reverb going make sure it is set to 100% wet.

Steenamaroo is offline Honorary Old Fart.
    Quote Originally Posted by roland.19 View Post
    That is actually something I have tried. I turn the knob on the Fast Track pro all the way to the right (for PT monitoring) and that is when it sounds strange. When I start to blend it more to the direct Fast Track monitoring (by turning the knob to the left) the "phase" sound goes away. That leads me to believe that it is a different issue.
    You only get that weird sound when recording though, right?
    Try the delay thing I mentioned to prove if it's just latency vs real voice bleed causing the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?

Joshua Bowers is offline Registered User
    when we track vocals we mute the recording tracks of audio. so only thing in the phones or monitors is everything else. pull one headphone off so you can hear your actual tone. eliminates latency of tracking alongside and hearing whats being layed down. if your throwing presets and inputs/plug ins onto the vocals just toy with it till you hear the effect you desire. then roll into the track. criticize me for spelling, punctuations, etc. but fact is this works ten fold for me and all the artists i work with. granted you wont hear yourself other than your true vocal, but if you disagree , retake it. but 98% of the time, you'll get the best track when the artist singing/tracking is hearing their true self. and its way better than hearing the effect per say and thinking it was a keeper and down road hearing a screw up. - my 2 cents of the hours ive spent polishing vocals up

bouldersoundguy is offline Modulator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bowers View Post
    when we track vocals we mute the recording tracks of audio. so only thing in the phones or monitors is everything else. pull one headphone off so you can hear your actual tone.
    But then you're not hearing what the mic is hearing. So you won't hear if you do something that matters to the mic like get off axis or change your distance.

JeffroMixesYou is offline Senior Member
    Buffer size. Easy fix. Put it as low as it will go (32 or 64. I think it was 64 on PT 7.4).
    [B][SIZE=3]How to Make Your Mixes Not Suck:[/SIZE][/B]
    [B][URL="http://JeffroMixesyou.wordpress.com"][SIZE=3]JeffroMixesYou.Wordpress.com[/SIZE][/URL][/B]

metalj is offline Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Hm, that sounds like there may be a dual path within PT. If you have a reverb going make sure it is set to 100% wet.
    Could it be that you may be playing back and simultaneously recording everything to the same drive?

Not sure what type of computer you have, but if you process on one computer running protools from that hard drive and record to a different external hard drive that may clean things up for you.

I am not an expert, but for some reason this just popped into my head.

Feel free to hate all over me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information