protools and outboard gear

jmorris

Ok so protools 9, windows 7 and outboard gear question. Runing apogee ad16x, motu 2408 old unit. I'm able to get the signal to and from outboard gear but cannot make it mono. Seems to only like stereo. Been in i/o setup window in PT. The only time I get the 8 analog inputs/outputs is in stereo. I should be able to run mono I would assume?
Jim

What exactly are you trying to send/receive? Single tracks?

AFAIK protools groups the IO in pairs but you can still use any input or output independently.

A mono track will have a mono input, but still output to a pair.

If you want to send a stereo track out as mono I think a workaround is to use a bus and just select a single path for that bus.

Tell us a bit more.

Last edited:
That's a mono track right?
so use a bus to output the kick track to line output 3 or whatever.....

Last edited:
example: I have a JDK R22 2 channel compressor. If I want to compress the mono kick drum I only need 1 channel, the other channel of compressor I could for example use to compress mono snare.There does not seem a way to have the inputs and outputs be mono in protools. At least mono and have the signal go to the motu 2408. I have tried but no luck.

A mono track will have mono inputs.
By default track outputs are in stereo pairs.
Try using the 'sends' to your mono hardware output.

Last edited:
Got it. Instead of using sends...which will work but seem to only like me to use stereo, I used insertes like where I place plugins from. Instead of choosing a plugin I choose the i/o. Then in the setup menue for protools I asign my outbaord gear in mono and they I was.Good to go.

Back