Protools 8.0.5 Helpp!!! (No signal or sound!!!) :(

JusShortyAudio

The issue: I can get a signal through the Mbox mini2, there are levels showing and I can hear the sound, but even though everything seem's to be correct such as inputs and outputs and my arming tracks ready for recording, it just wont record.
I've looked at countless forums and there doesn't seem to be a solution, my laptop is efficient enough to run protools and I was able to record before linking up my midi keyboard, since I did that it doesn't seem to want to record but I get signal and sound which I don't understand. also I only get a signal through an instrument track and not an audio track which confuses me as with vocals and guitar I'm supposed to use a mono audio track but when I do use a mono audio track I get neither signal or sound unlike the instrument track.this happens with both vocal and guitar, the microphone I use is a shure SM58 so there is no need for phantom power, the monitor mix is turned all the way right and input 1 and 2 are turned up enough to hear and record, also the headphone/speaker knob is turned up enough and at the back of the box none of the button's are switched in as they are not needed.[/B][/B]
:confused:
Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

First up, turn the monitor switch all the way to the left.

Turning to the right means headphones/speakers bypass your software so you literally just hear whatever is plugged in.
Turning to the left is your 'mix' so you hear whatever the software puts out.

Go to setup > playback > IO and click the input tab.
Select all paths and delete, then hit default.

Do the same for the output tab.

Now go into ProTools mix window. Create a new mono audio track and set the input to Mic 1 and the output to main 1+2, or output 1+2; Whatever it's called.

That should sort it out, but if it doesn't let me know.

Also, I know this seems simple, but you have to record arm your tracks AND also hit record then play on the main transport.

Thanks, but still not working :(
I think Protools hates me.
I'm think my only option is to try and re-install and hope for the best :/

Yes, but only on an instrument track I don't even get a signal with an audio track. On the instrument track when I record i can hear what I'm recording but it just records a blue blankness rather than the waveform.

protools.jpg Here, I've inserted a picture of the session as I was recording. (I can hear what I'm recording you can see the levels, but no waveform and no sound once played back)

You can't record audio to an instrument track.

In the old days you had a midi track for midi data, and another track to host the vst instrument. You had to route one to the other to get sound out.
Instrument tracks combine both of these features so you can record midi data to it and insert a vst instrument on it too.

I'm not even sure why it has audio inputs but forget that. What you want is an audio track.

I know you said you can't hear your input through an audio track but still, you need to take this step back before you can go forward.

Since you can see the PT meters moving with your instrument track, then an audio track with the same ins and outs should work.

Follow the instructions above and do a screen shot of your setup then, if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I loaded up a new session to take a screen shot and it recorded! The only thing is, there's no signal level but I can hear the sound, I assumed there was no sound, because there was no signal level (which still confuses me, as there should be) when I was either playing the guitar or tapping the microphone, but then again there wasn't a waveform made when I tried recording before and i surely would of heard the sound, so I don't know what was wrong before lol! I'm just happy its working!

Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it!

So you can record but you can't see the audio? Please post a screen shot of what you mean.

Is it definitely recording? Can you play back the audio and listen?
If you can hear it (not live) you should be able to see it.

when I arm the track for record you can see a signal and hear the sound, record etc....(on a mono audio track) I know this for sure as I can now play it back see the waveform etc.. unlike before.
But when the track isn't armed, I can not see the signal but hear the sound, is that right ?

So everything is recording the way it's supposed to, still have no clue how as I did everything the same as before, but hey, I'm not complaining!

Back