ProTools 7.4 Meltdown with Reason and Strike?!

GRock

Hi there, Can anyone help with my ProTools CPU error message meltdown?

Here are my specs...
ProTools 7.4
Reason 4.0.1
MBox 2
OS 10.4.11
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.13f3

Using this external hard drive (up to recently I was using a Lacie but that stopped mounting properly so I switched)
FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

IOMEGA MINIMAX Device 1:

Manufacturer: IOMEGA
Model: 0x0
GUID: 0x1D202E0BC1B09
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
IOMEGA MINIMAX Device 1 Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10483
Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
Firmware Revision: 0x102
Product Revision Level: 3.AA
Sub-units:
IOMEGA MINIMAX Device 1 SBP-LUN:
Capacity: 298.09 GB
Removable Media: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
Gideon 298 Mini Max:
Capacity: 297.97 GB
Available: 211.54 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk1s3
Mount Point: /Volumes/Gideon 298 Mini Max

And the problem:
Up to to a couple of weeks ago my setup worked really well, was more or less very stable, and I could work on some relatively large projects. I've had this set up for about 7 years and have recorded and bounced to
disk lot of songs. A typical session might be between 10 and 20 audio tracks, a full rack of Reason, Strike, a bunch of generic plug-ins like reverb and delay (nothing too CPU draining), and maybe one or two Xpand instruments.

And then as I was working on a session a couple of weeks ago I received a lot of error messages to do with lack of CPU power, so many messages that it was impossible to continue working.
I've spent a lot of time since then reading forums and doing tests but have not been able to improve the system.
I've done most of the generic things that people recommend:
Repair disk permissions, change the settings in Playback Engine, reformatted the external drive.
I've tested a lot of old sessions that previously could easily be played without interruption and bounced to disk, and these same sessions will now be interrupted with CPU error messages.
I've tested Reason on as a standalone, and as a Rewire plug-in, and noticed that a lot more CPU is required when it is a ProTools plug-in.
I've also tested Reason and Strike together, without any other tracks, which I though my system would handle easily, but I do end up getting a lot of error messages, and simple things like switching between windows while a track is playing causes error messages and interruptions.

Any advice or feedback would be helpful, I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps its time for a new setup....?
Thanks

Ok, I had another go at deleting PT preferences, but also the databases too, which seemed to clear things up A LOT, and my system is approaching its former glory.
For people with sticky systems, do a Google search for Sweetwater.com for a clear explanation of how to delete DATABASES and PREFERENCES.

Ok, I had another go at deleting PT preferences, but also the databases too, which seemed to clear things up A LOT, and my system is approaching its former glory.
For people with sticky systems, do a Google search for Sweetwater.com for a clear explanation of how to delete DATABASES and PREFERENCES.

Aw, glad to hear that.
The automated tool should do the heap for you. There are other things listed too; I'm not 100% sure what they are.

Pretty much any time anything goes wrong with PT, I launch this before even thinking about it.
Most of the time this sorts it out. :p

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 20.53.23.png

Back