Pro Tools Without an Audio Interface?

BenignVanilla

I was checking out Pro Tools the other day (I wanna step up from GarageBand), and it seems that to use Pro Tools I need to have an external Audio interface box.

So two questions...

1) Is that true...do I need an external box or can I use Pro Tools with just the standard input jack on my sound card?
2) If the answer to #1 is that I need to buy an external audio interface...what are my alternatives? Cubase? Cakewalk?

You need an external interface to use pro tools. The worst is you need to youse a digidesign interface for pro tools le or a m audio interface for pro tools m powered.

Your alternatives are every other daw out there. None of them need a specific interface except for pro tools.

ProTools uses the interfaces as copy-protection dongles.

It's more than that. It's a guarantee that Pro Tools will be 100% compatible with the interface.

After all Pro Tools M-Powered uses iLok as the copy protection, not the interface...

It's more than that. It's a guarantee that Pro Tools will be 100% compatible with the interface.

After all Pro Tools M-Powered uses iLok as the copy protection, not the interface...

but you still have to have m-audio hardware to open m-powered....having the iLok is not enough....I tried to use m-powered on my laptop and work on projects that I had recorded on my PC with my Delta 1010 and it wouldnt open with out the interface connected...

but you still have to have m-audio hardware to open m-powered....having the iLok is not enough....I tried to use m-powered on my laptop and work on projects that I had recorded on my PC with my Delta 1010 and it wouldnt open with out the interface connected...

M-Audio KeyStudio Cost $125 and it comes with the necessary "interface" for Pro Tools M-Powered to run(and includes a 49 key controller)

2 cents:

Protools is overhyped and teh gay. I like Ableton Live and Reaper ($60 to download). Other people like other things.

It is good 2 use a interface no matter what program u use. I use my pro tools interface for everything. Pro Tools, Logic, CD Architect, When I have dj gigs. (Hooks the mbox 2 into the club mixer so that the sound card is powerful enough 2 power the speakers) Everyone says Pro Tools is over hyped doesn't deal with major clients. Don't get me wrong a lot of the other programs might be better in some ways, but each program might have one thing that it is better at. First everyone was saying pro tools sucks because 32 tracks isn't enough. Now it comes with 48 and if u need more than 48 tracks something is wrong.

I have recorded bands and vocals with them in the same session and didn't go over 48 tracks. So for u 2 say that my statement is dumb then something must be wrong with your recording technique. Because I didn't bash anyone or make a derogatory statement towards anyone. Saying something is wrong and saying something is dumb is 2 different things. But anyways explain to me how u have used over 48 tracks. Like I said I have done bands and vocals in the same session and didn't go over 48.

Try the M-box. It comes standard with protools.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. You buy the interface and get protools with it. Digi is a hardware manufacturer, the software is what keeps you on the upgrade path.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. You buy the interface and get protools with it. Digi is a hardware manufacturer, the software is what keeps you on the upgrade path.

You're right, but I wouldn't worry too much about correcting him, because that was his one and only post and was a year ago! :D

I have recorded bands and vocals with them in the same session and didn't go over 48 tracks. So for u 2 say that my statement is dumb then something must be wrong with your recording technique.

so have I....but the rare occasion has come up where I needed more....

Because I didn't bash anyone or make a derogatory statement towards anyone. Saying something is wrong and saying something is dumb is 2 different things.

you implied that something was wrong with someone or the way someone does something if they cant get a session in less than 48 tracks....and I thought that was a stupid statement....big deal....didnt mean to hurt your feelings, Nancy...

But anyways explain to me how u have used over 48 tracks. Like I said I have done bands and vocals in the same session and didn't go over 48.

great...again...I have too...but I have also recorded bands where I did....by the time you knock out 12 tracks for drums and 12 to 16 guitar tracks....and still have bass, vocals and cowbell to go....you see where Im going...

Even in a mix contest here on HR.com recorded by xFinsterx....the old timers will know who Im talking about....must have been over 50 tracks in "Circle"

I'm working on a project now that has over 70 tracks of vocals. Most of those tracks have 3 people singing into one mic. I've also got over 30 tracks of instruments.

If you are recording AC/DC, yes, it would be silly to go over 48 tracks. But there is more to record than rock bands.

Back