Pro Tools product range

was that an oversimplification? of course. would i rather put a mic on an amp over a simulator any day of the week? absolutely

the key is the part where i mentioned spending some time adjusting it. i really do believe that if you can't get a good sound micing an amp easily then you've got other problems.

a good guitar through a good amp shouldn't be hard to mic. don't be afraid of it

Yes, yes this makes a little more sense :)

That said and as I mentioned earlier the new Axe-Fx changes the equation dramatically. Follow several Harmony Central threads where it (Axe-Fx) started out slammed mercilessly (as modelers here are) only to have some of it's MOST critical detractors come around after actually trying it. Not only come around but begin to sing it's praises. The same metamorphosis is documented on the "Gear Page" forums. I currently have one of these things on loan here and have both recorded with and marveled at the quality of these sounds.

I truly "get" the leaning towards micing vs models. That said I'm not about to eliminate the fabulous tools that good modelers have become.

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I will go with the mic. Can anyone recommend a good mic for my Mesa in the USD$200-$350 range? I want to record all tones, but huge chunky palm mutes and jackhammer powerchord riffing is what I do a lot of.

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I will go with the mic. Can anyone recommend a good mic for my Mesa in the USD$200-$350 range? I want to record all tones, but huge chunky palm mutes and jackhammer powerchord riffing is what I do a lot of.

for guitar you can hardly go wrong with an SM57 or audix i5. the 57 is the standard bearer and the i5 seems to be gaining a lot of ground on it in the popularity contests these days. any recording rig though should really have at least one 57 in it.

Thanks, the 57 sems to pop up a lot and it is cheap. Can it do vocals as well? Someone told me I should get a Rode NT1000 for vocals but if I can get away with one mic all the better. I want quality but don't need a $1000 mic.

Back