Pro Tools noob question...

welp sorry to disappoint most of you but Ive decided to go with PT's, I'm ordering all my hardware in a couple of days. I'm going with the 003 + Rack and a Presonus DigiMAX LT, a pair of M Audio BX8's, a AKG C 214, AKG D 112, (4) SM57, (2) AKG Perception 170, a Sennheiser e906, xlr cables, trs cables, optical cable, BNC cable, mic stands, and some acoustic treatment.

I did look into a lot of other DAW's but I just kept getting drawn back to PT's just for the fact that almost all of the studios that I've worked with use PT's and I've been asked several times to add some guitar to a project and i wasn't able to use pt's cause i didn't have it. SO compatibility with other studios is important to me. I don't like driving 2 or 3 hours just to lay some guitar....gas is expensive...

I doubt you're disappointing anyone, like I said: I use Pro Tools as well! In fact, we've got a very similar rig (002 & DigiMAX LT). I'm not sure why you'd need a BNC cable though: the DigiMAX uses an optical cable and that's it IIRC. You'll want to use it as the master clock, by the way. Otherwise you'll get weird clicks and stuff.

Good luck!

I doubt you're disappointing anyone, like I said: I use Pro Tools as well! In fact, we've got a very similar rig (002 & DigiMAX LT). I'm not sure why you'd need a BNC cable though: the DigiMAX uses an optical cable and that's it IIRC. You'll want to use it as the master clock, by the way. Otherwise you'll get weird clicks and stuff.

Good luck!

thanks man....I'll be sure to bother you if i have some issues....I meant to tell you that I checked out your page and pretty much got addicted to Four Letter Lie....Did you do their whole album? If so kudos.

I was a little confused about how to clock the two interfaces, so you don't need the coaxial, the optical takes care of it? Not a huge deal just a $6 cable but just confused about that.

thanks man....I'll be sure to bother you if i have some issues....I meant to tell you that I checked out your page and pretty much got addicted to Four Letter Lie....Did you do their whole album? If so kudos.

I was a little confused about how to clock the two interfaces, so you don't need the coaxial, the optical takes care of it? Not a huge deal just a $6 cable but just confused about that.

Alas, I did only their pre-production tracks. They decided to go with some big-name producer that, in my opinion, didn't really take their sound as far as he could have.

As for the interfaces, all you need is the optical cable. They'll sync quite nicely :)

I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help and input. I just ordered all my equipment. It included: 1 Digidesign 003+ Factory, 1 Presonus DigiMAX LT, 1 pain of Maudio BX8 Active Monitors, 1 Hosa OPM303 optical cable, 1 AKG C 214
4 Shure SM57, 1 AKG D112, 1 Sennheiser e906, 2 AKG Perception 170, (16) 20' xlr cables, 3 Boom Stand, 6 Short Boom Stand, 1 Pop Filter, 2 pair of AKG Dynamic Headphones, 2 Headphone extension cable, 2 TRS cables. I'm also building a computer. Some of the specs are a Asus P6T motherboard with a Intel i7 920 processor, Radeon HD 512mb graphics card with Dual 20" monitors. 6Gb of memory with a 500G system drive and a 1TB external drive. All the parts for the computer will be in hopefully this week. Again thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it! I'll upload some pictures and stuff once I get it all in.

Also, does anyone know why my rep is so horrible?

Indeed, I can't wait to get my hands and ears on the stuff....I'm gitty like a little girl with excitement.
Holy shit, that is one Hell of a list. What'd that run ya? If you don't mind me asking...

I was about to post a suggestion I have for you in terms of m-powered... But I read the rest of the thread, and bam, you ordered already so nevermind:D

Hope it all goes well.

5. Keep in mind that Pro Tools LE has "Low Latency Monitoring" built in which is a incredible feature not in M-Powered. I used M-Powered with a mixer for low latency but didn't like the uneeded connections in my signal chain. Low latency monitoring is a HUGE feature! Believe me, unless you want to spend a ton of extra money on a small mixer, that has really good signal quality, just for headphone mixes.[/I]

Google is your friend!
According to what's new in M-powered 8, it has pretty low latency monitoring. Or so it seems. There's nothing saying that it's different in LE than M-Powered. But there might be more than meets the eye...I hope that it does have low enough latency monitoring because I can't afford LE....

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Meant to copy and paste this in the post before, but subconsciously clicked submit.

Holy shit, that is one Hell of a list. What'd that run ya? If you don't mind me asking...

I was about to post a suggestion I have for you in terms of m-powered... But I read the rest of the thread, and bam, you ordered already so nevermind:D

Hope it all goes well.

Ha yeah, this thread has been going for a while. The entire set up was $7,500 and i'm looking at spending an addtional $3,000, to get two of the rooms sounding decent.

So much for the recession!

good luk with you setup, let us know if you have any problems :)

Thanks....I've been watching so many instructional dvds and youtube videos, my head is hurting, but it's great. The overall operation of the software is cake to me, i've used cubase, furityloops and live before. The only thing that i'm expecting to be an issue is the initial setup of the hardware with the computer and getting all the bugs worked out of that. But I guess that just comes with it when you're building everything from scratch.

Is there any advice and/or problems that you all have experienced with this setup that i should watch out for. Not just with PT's but with some of the other equipment I've listed? If so please feel free to throw them on here. Thanks again...

yes you wasted a lot of money cause you didnt let someone who knew what they were doing help you your monitors arnt flat your preamps are pretty much just ok and you dont even have a vocal chain or single chanel strip

a very quic run down if i had 7,000 dollars

monitors mackie hr624s 900.00
mics main vocal mic rode ntk 499.00
stereo mics rode nt5s 399.00
drum mics shure drum mic package 399
daw pro tools digi 003 rack 1,200
controller and extra preamps used tascam dm24 550.00
16 preamps adat eq compression on every channel + daw controller
4 great preamps Standard Sytek-MPX4Aii 4 channels 850.00

so far 4,798.00

leaves 2,202 dollars id do a simple pc say 1,000 for the basics leaving 1202 dollars i think with that id get a couple uadcards for processing or a liquid mix for 499.00 702 dollars a desk and some monitor stands tha would be a good start for 7,000 dollars could be done even cheaper or even more professional a great tube pre could be added with some work in place of the sytek more mics could be added over processing etc.

Last edited:
to many people concentrate on the digital end and digital doesn't make good music the mics preamps and the room make good music

I'd even drop ptle and use reaper instead so I wouldn't be limited to 32 track mixdowns or 18 inputs. That way I could expand the daw without having to spend a ton for every upgrade available for pro tools

stand alone processing has made the need for a super computer pretty much obsolite also it makes buying plugins that tax your computer pretty much pointless Why spend 400.00 on a plug in you can only use once or twice in a mix when you could by a stand alone dsp processing card that would not tax your computer at all? for 500 dollars?

if you want a fast pc I'd use a much smaller hard drive like 72 gigs or less at 10,000 rpms for the system drive like a raptor and a teribite for backup I'd stick with windows xp and I'd bring that ram down to just 2 gigs ad put the extra 4 gigs i was going to spend on the size of my lcd monitor or monitors also great graphics cards arnt needed so I'd get 2 basic ones instead

thats just me though

Wow, way to be a dick for no reason other than to say "I told you so". He's already bought the stuff, and the stuff he's bought isn't going to prevent him from doing anything he needs to do for quite some time, especially as a n00b, so lay the fuck off and consider the usefulness of your "advice" before posting it.

your monitors arnt flat y

As if you're going to achieve that for under $7k.....

You couldn't even get flat monitors for that much, nevermind a room which will LET the monitors be flat :rolleyes:

and you suggest HR624s as being a flat monitor? Have you HEARD them?!?

So quit being a dick for no reason. As Steve pointed out, his current weak link in the chain ain't the gear, it's going to take him a while to out-grow it and when he does there are plenty of small bits he can upgrade in a piece-meal fashion.

Lay off the coffee and.....don't forget to smile ;)

makie hr624s flat frequeny response + - 1.5 db 52hz to 20khz

thats alot better then hyped bookshelf speakers and considering a room can have peak an nulls with + - 30db id say its a great set of monitors

im not being a dick to be a dick im hoping this person will consider where there money has gone and what they have goten for there 7,500 investment if anything it will cause them to see what they need next and perhaps to listen to the advice of the forum members before wasting money just to waste it

Maybe I should rename this thread to "How to be a douche bag in 20 words or less..."

I got what I wanted that will do what I want it to do....plain and simple BRA! Sorry if you don't approve....

im not being a dick to be a dick im hoping this person will consider where there money has gone and what they have goten for there 7,500 investment if anything it will cause them to see what they need next and perhaps to listen to the advice of the forum members before wasting money just to waste it

If your goal truly is to help, and not just to make yourself feel smarter by putting other people down for their choices, then you need to work on your people skills a bit (not to mention your typing skills: using proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization/punctuation can go quite a long way). What sort of reaction do you expect from the OP after reading your rant about how he's stupid for purchasing the equipment he has (which, by the way, is a very decent start, regardless of your opinion)? I made a lot of my band's record on somewhat similar equipment, some of which is actually a little worse than what he purchased (link).

While many pieces of DAW software are arguably better than Pro Tools, my decision to use it allowed me to intern at a decent studio for several months in order to save up the studio time to record the drums for the record I linked to. Because it was all Pro Tools, all I had to do was open it up on my 002-powered PTLE rig and it was ready to go. I recorded all of the guitars and vocals with that rig, and borrowed a couple of pieces of equipment from my buddy to record bass DI. I tracked and mixed a lot of it on a pair of KRK RP5's in my untreated basement.

Anyway, I'm ranting and going off on somewhat of a tangent, but the point is that the equipment he bought won't be holding him back any time soon. It's significantly better than what most people start out with, and he's clearly willing to spend the money without all that much deliberation for what exactly to buy, which leads me to believe his spending power is not insignificant. By the time he's "out-grown" the equipment he purchased, he'll no doubt be able to afford some of the things you mentioned, like a nice channel strip or two, and some better monitors. All you would have had to have said in order to get your point across without being such a dick is something like:

"Although I personally would have gone a slightly different route on some of the equipment you bought, it looks like you're mostly on the right track. Once you've got some skill to back it up, and are ready to upgrade some stuff, you should consider getting some nicer pre-amps and/or a channel strip. The preamps in the 003 are decent and quite flat/clear, don't get me wrong, but you'll eventually find that having some different preamps with different "colors" can go a long way to livening up your recordings and giving you some different textures to work with.

The other thing I would recommend that you upgrade is your monitors. They are your "window to your mix," and thus directly affect the outcome of your sessions. For now, take as much time as you can to "learn" the monitors you've got. I find that listening to a bunch of different CD's that are familiar to me will help this process, and will make it easier to identify your monitors' strengths and drawbacks, and then compensate for those when mixing. Once you're ready to upgrade, try to get something with a flat frequency response. While different "colors" are nice for pre-amps, you generally want the flattest, clearest speakers you can afford.

All-in-all, there's really no limit to how much you can spend on this stuff, and especially in an economy like this, and especially especially when you're just starting off, you'll likely find that your dollar(s) will go quite a long way if you take the time to talk your purchases over with this community first. We've got everything from complete beginners using Windows Sound Recorder or Garageband with the built-in mic on their laptops, to professional mixing and mastering engineers with single pieces of equipment worth more than the entire rig you just purchased. The awesome thing is that you'll get a HUGE range of points of view, and a lot of really good advice (as well as some bad, which is usually pointed out pretty swiftly). I'm not saying that what you purchased was bad stuff! But you might have gotten more and better stuff for your money if you'd have just let us help :) That said, have fun with this stuff, don't let us get you down, and always remember that 99% of the time, YOU are the only thing holding YOU back!"

This would've gotten your point across, while actually providing helpful, insightful advice. You clearly know a little bit about recording (although recommending Reaper as a professional solution smacks of a bit of unwarranted "anti-Pro Tools-ism"), but if you're truly trying to help, please take the time to listen to yourself talk (or type) and decide if the tone of your responses is completely obscuring the point of your responses. Right now, it is.

You clearly know a little bit about recording (although recommending Reaper as a professional solution smacks of a bit of unwarranted "anti-Pro Tools-ism"), but if you're truly trying to help, please take the time to listen to yourself talk (or type) and decide if the tone of your responses is completely obscuring the point of your responses. Right now, it is

I'm recomending reaper from working with pro tools since tdm mix 4 and a lot of ptle versions as well though I haven't used 8. If you can deal with 18 inputs/outputs and a 48 track mix more power to you. If you can justify paying another 1,200 for a 96 track mono mix thats cool to

I'd rather pay 50.00 and have unlimited tracks and busses in my mix and recomending reapr is not shooting down protools cause from what I've been told the digi hardware will work with reaper. That's what the sales rep at sweetwater said when he tried to get me to buy a 003

Go Sonar.Unlimited tracks, user friendly with interfaces etc. I got an mbox 2 for shits and grins and cant even imagine using it full time over protools. Plus, what is the real chance of at your stage the need to transfer projects to other studios.Plus if your a noob,your recording skills will need to be crafted and I really doubt you'll be mixing projects from other studios..no offence but you get my drift. No project swapping at this point I mean

Back