PLEASE Help me pick a MacBook for PTLE 7.3

For the amount of tracks I will be using 14-16 at most I think I should be OK with the MBox 2 Mini.
- What do you think?
Also, how can I run an inetrface via FW if there is only one port and I NEED to record on a 7200rpm HD? Does it mean I need to install a brand new HD at 7200rpm?

What FW interface are you running?? THe Mbox 2mini is a USB device. But yes, you should be able to "daisy chain" FW devices together, as your external HD should have a second FW port at the back to plug your other device in to. However, you've only got 1 FW buss in your laptop, so you'll have problems if your other device takes up lots of FW bandwidth:

I tried running a Focusrite LiquidMix on the same FW buss as the HD I was using for audio, and I couldn't get fast enough data transmission. This was on a MacMini, and I was running like 16 tracks to and from the LiquidMix as well as like 32 tracks from my HD.

Usually the Hard Drive would have two firewire ports on the back and you "daisy chain" the devices. That is that you plug the hard drive into the macbook, and then the next firewire device into the hard drive, and so on.

Unless maybe I misunderstood your question?

No, you did understand the question. Thanks, that's what I was looking for pezkin.

What FW interface are you running?? THe Mbox 2mini is a USB device. But yes, you should be able to "daisy chain" FW devices together, as your external HD should have a second FW port at the back to plug your other device in to. However, you've only got 1 FW buss in your laptop, so you'll have problems if your other device takes up lots of FW bandwidth:

I tried running a Focusrite LiquidMix on the same FW buss as the HD I was using for audio, and I couldn't get fast enough data transmission. This was on a MacMini, and I was running like 16 tracks to and from the LiquidMix as well as like 32 tracks from my HD.

HI Messianic, You're right, I have the Mini but I was thinking of upgrading to the Pro Factory but it's too expensive $600+ even used. I think I will just go ahead and upgrade for a bit under $200 for the normal Mbox 2 with two phantom powers and MIDI.

Bummer to hear that it will choke the MacMini. Do you think I will run into issues recording with the USB interface and the FW HD?

32 tracks is above the supported amount for one hard drive which may explain those issues. You shouldn't really run more than 24 at 48kHz 24bit/

Not sure about with the liquid mix specifically but I'm using 20 tracks or so on my (early 2008) Macbook with a 003 and FW harddrive - no problems to report really.

I'm using 20 tracks or so on my (early 2008) Macbook with a 003 and FW harddrive - no problems to report really.

Hey pezking, which MacBook are you using? the MB403LL/A? If so I have the same one! I ran into a couple of problems with PTLE 8 but can't really go back to 7.3 because of the Leopard compatibility issues. Would be interesting to know what your set up is....

I have any and every set up! Haha!

I don't know the code number of my macbook. It's at home, and sadly I am at work.

It is the early 2008 model, black, with a 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM. Also has a 160GB HDD. My external hard drive is an Avid Mediadrive 250 GB (I think)

I have a 003 Rack and an Mbox 2 at the moment, but I've used all of the current LE range with my Macbook (except the 003 R+) and it's been a breeze.

I need a computer to run the Pro Tools. Is this one good?

MacBook, 13-inch, White
Part Number: Z0G9
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

this has two USB Drives, so basicly, I dont want this to run pro tools becuase i wont get the full advantage of the software?

I need a computer to run the Pro Tools. Is this one good?

MacBook, 13-inch, White
Part Number: Z0G9
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

this has two USB Drives, so basicly, I dont want this to run pro tools becuase i wont get the full advantage of the software?

Does it have a FireWire input?
You will also need a 7200 rpm HD to run PTLE effectively.

Other than taht you are good to go!

Back