The next step after 002?

wreckd504

I know there isn't one apart from HD (003 runs off LE so it doesn't count as a next step)

I'm told UAD and TC powercore cards have alot of trouble running on LE because LE doesn't have the Time-Division Multiplexing ability of HD. Which is why after 5 happy years of pro tooling i'm jumping ship.

I like pro tools but to have no options in between HD and LE is crazy. A fireface 800 and cubase + UAD & TC dsp cards is going to cost a whole lot less than a HD system.

Just some thoughts for others members getting into PT. If you know you got the clams to go HD eventually, then awesome. Otherwise, may be something to think about if you ever plan on going beyond prosumer.

Please feel free to disagree.

I know there isn't one apart from HD (003 runs off LE so it doesn't count as a next step)

I'm told UAD and TC powercore cards have alot of trouble running on LE because LE doesn't have the Time-Division Multiplexing ability of HD. Which is why after 5 happy years of pro tooling i'm jumping ship.

I like pro tools but to have no options in between HD and LE is crazy. A fireface 800 and cubase + UAD & TC dsp cards is going to cost a whole lot less than a HD system.

Just some thoughts for others members getting into PT. If you know you got the clams to go HD eventually, then awesome. Otherwise, may be something to think about if you ever plan on going beyond prosumer.

Please feel free to disagree.

Not sure there's anything to disagree with here!

I would add however that to me the power of Pro Tools is software. What I can do with it. How I can manipulate it. How I can automate and edit. Mix ect, ect.

With some of the new quad core PC's the sky is the limit when it comes to processing power. The time and effort I have invested over the last ten years in learning Pro Tools has absolute value. It simply can not be replaced with a new piece of software and a UAD card.

YMMV

I agree. I recently made the switch from Protools LE to Sonar 7 because I was sick of interface limitations. For awhile I recorded drums in cubase with my firepod (8 inputs) and transfered them to protools because the mbox only has 2 mic inputs. In the end it worked out, but it was a mess.

Don't get me wrong, I love the protools program... but if I could do it all over again, I wouldnt have started in the digidesign hardware trap.

I agree. I recently made the switch from Protools LE to Sonar 7 because I was sick of interface limitations. For awhile I recorded drums in cubase with my firepod (8 inputs) and transfered them to protools because the mbox only has 2 mic inputs. In the end it worked out, but it was a mess.

Don't get me wrong, I love the protools program... but if I could do it all over again, I wouldnt have started in the digidesign hardware trap.

you know you could've got like a 002r or a 003r and had up to about 18 i/o right?

Has anyone else heard of the incompatibility of UAD and TC powercore cards with LE? A tech friend was explaining it had to do with everything staying in time [latency?]. This problem doesn't exist in HD because of TDM code?

I guess some questions I've started to wonder;

[this is under the assumption DSP cards have trouble running in conjuction with LE, i'm yet to confirm this]
What would you use instead of the UAD,TC and SSL plugins? I'm under the impression they can't run natively.
Does quad core and native plugins really keep up with a core2duo [say e6600] + dsp cards?

Absolutely right a great engineer doesn't blame his tools! But what if your raw sounds are coming out smoking and now you need to process them to have them sit in mix well, but the plugins you want to use don't run so well on LE? [specifically because of the algorithm that HD has and LE lacks, i believe this ties in with the TDM architecture].

I've pushed this system to the limit and need either outboard gear or plugins to compete commercially...or am I totally wrong and you can do a serious commercial mix with nothing but good; mics, performers, room and standard Pro Tools plugins? I hate blaming my gear, but some things I haven't found a substitute for.

Originally posted by Joseph Hanna

The time and effort I have invested over the last ten years in learning Pro Tools has absolute value

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about Pro Tools. Everything from the layout to functionality really improves my workflow, but the hardware limitation is killing me. I do have two 002r's linked up at the moment which is great for in's and outs,but in terms of doing a professional mix on my LE system, the software just can't handle it [or, i admit, I don't know how to work around its limitations]. Let alone the 32 track limit [which i think can be increased to 48 by paying a fee?]. Though if they improved the code of LE why would anyone go HD? Everyone would just use LE with a bunch of DSP cards in replace of the farm cards.

Maybe I should just become a better engineer and push cheaper native plugin's to the n'th degree. I don't want to learn another daw, my playing is already suffering from all this non instrument related thinking =(

Last edited:
Back