New to Protools/Mbox mini 3

Mandolin4Jesus

Hey everyone--

I finally picked up some devices with which to record some music. I initially wanted something user friendly, basically hitting "record" and Im off :guitar: but was given an offer on an Mbox mini 3 and a copy of Protools 8 that I just couldnt refuse on my budget.

I need the basics. What kind of session to use (im only recording through a condensor mic some vocals, guitar and a mandolin) to record some really easy, run of the mill bluegrassy/gospel stuff. No samples, loops, or MIDI stuff. Just whatever i put into the mic.

Here are some problems ive run into
1. When messing around with the mbox and protools, a message popped up (2 times) that said protools couldnt find the mbox. Restarted, no more problems
2. I can hear the mic through the soundcard but protools isn't picking up what im putting down. That is--no signal, unless the input i use is the guitar jack option on protools. But then I had problems with playback--really fuzzy stuff.
3. I literally had to turn the gain almost all the way up to hear through the mic

Sorry for any confusion. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I could sure use some advice/input.

Thank you!

Hey there, and welcome.
Someone once told me I should write a book, so here goes.

I think I get what you're saying but let's clear some stuff up if you don't mind.

1. When messing around with the mbox and protools, a message popped up (2 times) that said protools couldnt find the mbox. Restarted, no more problems
Ok, what kind of usb port are you using? Front port, rear port, port on a hub?
If you're not already, go for a rear port straight into the motherboard, and if you are already
unplug it
download the most bang up to date drivers from the website (not the CD)
install the drivers and follow the onscreen procedures.
When you come to plugging in, use a different port than before.

2. I can hear the mic through the soundcard but protools isn't picking up what im putting down. That is--no signal, unless the input i use is the guitar jack option on protools.
Not sure what you mean.
The device has two inputs so Pro tools should see input one and input two.
It doesn't know what you've set those inputs to be on the mbox.

On the mbox
input one can be set to mic (xlr), line (jack) or di (jack) via a switch. No matter which you use, Protools still calls it input one.
input two can be set to line (jack) or DI (jack) via a different switch. No matter which you use, Protools still calls it input two.

Example: You're recording a mic.
Plug it into the XLR socket, set the switch to mic/line on the mbox, and select input one in protools for that track.
Recording a guitar also? Plug it into DI socket for channel two, set the switch to DI and select input two in protools for that track.

3. I literally had to turn the gain almost all the way up to hear through the mic
I'm hoping this is sorted by the above. If not, what kind of mic is it. Where are you plugging it in and what inputs have you selected in PT.
If you're using a jack input with any kind of mic it wont work properly.
Is it a condenser? Make sure phantom power is on.
Have you engaged the 20db pads by mistake? Looks like pulling out the gain knob does this. Make sure they're both pushed in.

Hope that's useful.

*Edit.
You say you can hear yourself live through the soundcard, but not through protools.
The mix knob is marked 'input' and 'PB' (playback).
You'll need to set this half way, or all the way to 'playback' to be able to hear what's coming from protools.
Setting it to 'input' is for zero latency monitoring while you record.

Last edited:
Hey Steenamaroo,

Thanks for the helpful insights--I will attempt to clarify some questions in the next fifteen minutes..

1. I am using one of the two USB ports (on the side of my laptop) plugged in with a firewire cable into the back of the Mbox mini 3.
2. I am recording the guitar with a mic, with an XLR cable. But there are two options I am seeing using Protools 8. One is recording with a "guitar" setting where I can actually see levels and hear myself play but the sound is too "digital" The other setting "mic input" produces a clear quality sound through the headphones but is not registering (no levels) on Protools.
3. the microphone im using is a KAM C3 condenser mic, plugged into the XLR jack, using the 48v phantom power on the interface.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and responses very much!
Blessings

Hi, No problem.

OK, that helps a bit.
I guess when you say firewire cable that's just a typo right?

You're using a condenser mic and xlr input so that's all good.

Where is this guitar/mic input option in Protools. Can you screen shot it?

Hi, No problem.

OK, that helps a bit.
I guess when you say firewire cable that's just a typo right?

You're using a condenser mic and xlr input so that's all good.

Where is this guitar/mic input option in Protools. Can you screen shot it?

Thank you again Steenamaroo,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been bouncing back between this forum and a VW forum trying to keep my car running.

Here is a screen shot I took today, but am thinking if I repose my question it may be easier.

Protools problem.JPG

Question:
I want to record track by track using just the microphone plugged into the first input on the Mbox. It seems easy enough, but when I add another track I'm not getting a signal on PT. I can hear it but no signal. What am I doing wrong? If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it, though I don't expect you to spend much more of your time walking me through this. : D Thank you again for the help thus far.

I think your IO names are just set up wrong. (no fault of your own)

Go to >setup > IO

Click on the input tab,
select all paths,
hit delete.

When they're all gone, hit default.

Now do the same for the output tab.

Hopefully now your track names should correspond to what's really happening.

Back