modern PC with MBox Original

fitobass

Need a new PC
Do modern processors and chip-sets work fine with MBox Original?
I understand you have to stay on Win XP
What version of Pro Tools can you use with MBOX Original
Regards
Thanks for the help

Need a new PC
Do modern processors and chip-sets work fine with MBox Original?
I understand you have to stay on Win XP
What version of Pro Tools can you use with MBOX Original
Regards
Thanks for the help

If you're not talking about quad core systems then you're wasting your time and ours too. It should work fine. If you're still using XP you're in dino land. You should upgrade to something that's also 64bit compatible so you can unlock your systems full potential. If you can use pro tools you should be able to use any DAW. I would either upgrade to pro tools 11 or change DAWs. My favorite modern DAW is Studio One 2. It's super easy to use and any noob should be able to just start recording and it's got some excellent features that no other DAW has. Pro Tools can limit you in many ways. Once you get past all the hype there are plenty of other very logical recording interfaces to work with :D

Initially I thought Phil's post was a bit head-on, but then I thought, why do you (op) need a new computer?
Not enough power for what you're doing?

I mean, you could get a new computer with XP and PT 8.0.1; There's nothing wrong with that at all,
but depending on how much of a computer upgrade you're going for ( more or less than 4gb ram ) , a 64 bit OS might be a good idea after all.

Food for thought.

Initially I thought Phil's post was a bit head-on, but then I thought, why do you (op) need a new computer?
Not enough power for what you're doing?

I mean, you could get a new computer with XP and PT 8.0.1; There's nothing wrong with that at all,
but depending on how much of a computer upgrade you're going for ( more or less than 4gb ram ) , a 64 bit OS might be a good idea after all.

Food for thought.

I remember when I first started recording I had a single core computer and a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I thought I had a bad ass set up lol. At the time it was a decent computer. I would just run a small mixer into the sound card via RCA connections. Once my recording started getting more complex, more tracks, more effects and more resources being used the computer would either lag really bad or completely freeze up. The joys I found after building my first quad core system. I feel having a computer with serious power is as important as any other recording gear you have. It saves you a ton of trouble and headaches when you keep up to date with technology.

I have even considered picking up some old Digidesign interfaces just to have some extra shit to screw with. Ebay has a ton of outdated gear that is very usable today. You can get a 002 rack for the same price as these new tiny little interfaces $300 to $500. Only problem is it could be safer to stick with 32-bit operating systems because older gear isn't supported in 64bit. Everything seems to be compatible with windows 7 now, not a bad system to go with. Lets say you buy a copy of 64bit Windows 7. Microsoft will send you the 32bit version for around $9.00 bux. Safe bet would be just to pay the 9 bucks so you can take advantage of 64bit, but if left no choice go 32bit.

Truth be told I just switched to mac. I'm sure plenty of people haven't been as lucky as me, but I've never had to consider whether a driver is 64 bit or not.
It's been seamless so far.

The only thing that bugs me with avid/digi interfaces is that they have dropped support for older ones (mbox1,digi001/002) etc with their new versions of PT, yet the same interfaces work just fine with other DAWS.

The day they announced that avid interfaces were no longer necessary for PT I sold my 003, bought a motu 828 and made about £700 back. :)
Their interfaces are, and probably always will be, overpriced in my opinion.

Truth be told I just switched to mac. I'm sure plenty of people haven't been as lucky as me, but I've never had to consider whether a driver is 64 bit or not.
It's been seamless so far.

The only thing that bugs me with avid/digi interfaces is that they have dropped support for older ones (mbox1,digi001/002) etc with their new versions of PT, yet the same interfaces work just fine with other DAWS.

The day they announced that avid interfaces were no longer necessary for PT I sold my 003, bought a motu 828 and made about £700 back. :)
Their interfaces are, and probably always will be, overpriced in my opinion.

Yeah, but when you're new to it you think Pro Tools is the last stop for Recording. I think in a big studio that can afford all the best gear it's perfect, but not so good for home recording enthusiasts. I've tried a SHIT LOAD of interfaces and they all seem to be about the same. You can get good recordings with the most basic set up if you take your time and have a decent mic to work with. I spend about 6 months researching before I invest into anything because wants and needs are 2 very different things. I find you can be headed into a whole new and better direction if you give yourself time to looking into every alternative.

The main reason I'm big on PC systems is because I like doing some gaming too and mac is last in that race. Eventually I'll buy a new system just for recording like an imac or what ever new contraptions they come out with. The newer ones have all the power you'll need for recording and alot of other cool things like video editing etc. They can even play some games, but unfortunately there aren't very many video games ported over to MAC.

Yeah, but when you're new to it you think Pro Tools is the last stop for Recording. I think in a big studio that can afford all the best gear it's perfect, but not so good for home recording enthusiasts. I've tried a SHIT LOAD of interfaces and they all seem to be about the same. You can get good recordings with the most basic set up if you take your time and have a decent mic to work with. I spend about 6 months researching before I invest into anything because wants and needs are 2 very different things. I find you can be headed into a whole new and better direction if you give yourself time to looking into every alternative.
True that.
Pro tools has been the dogs balls for me, but in truth it doesn't do anything that plenty of other DAWS will do.
I just happen to know/like Protools.

The main reason I'm big on PC systems is because I like doing some gaming too and mac is last in that race. Eventually I'll buy a new system just for recording like an imac or what ever new contraptions they come out with. The newer ones have all the power you'll need for recording and alot of other cool things like video editing etc. They can even play some games, but unfortunately there aren't very many video games ported over to MAC.

It is a shame. They're making an effort but it's still not comparable to any other platform.
Luckily I'm not that big a gamer. Last things I bought were HL2/portal/portal 2 which, luckily enough, are ported to mac.

I think, like you though, even if I was a gamer I'd probably have a mac sitting there for work.
There's just something elegant or simple about it, in my experience anyway.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Can not use my mbox..(have not been reading the previously posts, sorry) Is my Mbox to old for my new mac? Do i need to buy a new interface?

Click apple at top left
click 'about this mac'
click 'more info'
scroll down and click 'USB'.

If the mbox shows there it means the computer physically recognises the device.
That doesn't mean it'll work. It means your computer is aware of it.

If it's not there, try another cable, try a different port, and try the mbox on a different computer to trace the fault.

Next...
Go to Finder.
Open Applications
Open Utilities
Open
Audio/Midi Setup

Do you see the mbox?
If so, that means the drivers are correctly installed and your computer can communicate with the device.

If not, google and download the appropriate driver.

Back