Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M-Audio Fast Track c600

Shimada is offline Newbie
    Thanks

M-Audio Fast Track c600

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about the new M-Audio Fast Track C600. I'm thinking of getting it, but there weren't many trustworthy reviews out there.

TheBones is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    i'm in the same boat shimada. i've been looking to upgrade my usb interface and i'm really happy with my little two input fast track. some of the things i read about the fast track ultra made me kinda leery because it sounded like it had many glitches. i found the c600 and i can't really find much about it.

flyingace is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    Just bought one. I had a Lexicon U22. Solid built unit but only 2 channels and bit scratchy on the pots with low gain on the preamps. Got the C600 for the DSP, 2 headphones out and 4 XLR inputs. The build is a bit on the cheap side. the top acrylic really scratches easily if you take the plastic off (i pulled a little off and put it right back after a simple wipe with a microfibre cloth scratched the hell out of it! looks terrible with bubbled up plastic though, so I'll probably just suffer though and let it wear!). Knobs are a bit on the smallish side. I haven't dug into all that the control panel can do but the DSP and headphone outs work great!! Worth the price of admission to be able to produce a dry headphone for me and wet for my singer! Having 4 inputs is changing the way I work in my little home studio too.

I got it for $375 at Sweetwater. good service, nice folks! I've put in a call to my rep to ask about the scratching. M-Audio will probably hear a lot about it. WOuld be nice if they would take care of us early adopters when they fix it! Fingers Crossed.

Sound quality is tops. Recorded Djembe, vocals and acoustic guitar with condenser mic, SM57 and they all sounded warm and perfect! Headphone mix was great and now I have dry tracks with no latency and no loss of "feeling" thanks to the DSP built in. Bravo!

Steenamaroo is offline Honorary Old Fart.
    Thanks
    It's not often no one on here has experience with a piece of gear.

Thanks for posting up the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I'm sending the unit back. I spoke with my rep at Sweetwater and informed him of my issues. He said that he has had not complaints about this issue.

After I posted last night, I ran the unit through some tests again and configuring it more. I started to find "cracks" in the system. When I reset the transport controls via the control panel, it worked, but when I quit the control panel and restarted, it was back to the ProTools shortcuts. I followed the instructions in the manual to the T. Then it started doing some other weird stuff in Garageband like my monitors would come on and feedback when I hit the multi button, even after I reconfigured the multi button to open a new track. And when I restarted my computer this morning, the "Keyboard Setup" window appeared on the screen. In the manual it says to ignore it when you first install the unit, but apparently this happens every time I restart my computer too! Annoying!

I'm using iMac OSX 10.7.2 with 12gb ram

So back this "toy" unit goes and I'm now in the market for a real piece of gear. Sadly my Lexicon I-Onix U22 was made better and cost me far less than the $375 for this thing.

Thanks
    Haha, Sorry you're having such a bad experience.

Still good to know though, thanks.

Thanks
    Win some, lose some. Sweetwater is good about taking returns. Although I have to pay shipping back I miss the good ole days when you could walk into a music store and check it out in person! ugh.

Thanks
    Yeah, you could haggle back then too!!!

Thanks
    Dang, I'm gonna sound so wishy washy here but... I decided to get over it and keep the dang thing. I can let the swirls and scratches go. AND (he eats crow)… I'm sure that my other issues were operator error. ha ha

So, onward and upward. AND getting back to what's more important, making and recording music! YAY!

vjkmxe is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    @flyingace - im thinking about picking up this interface and i was hoping you could answer some questions about it since you've had it for a while.

I used to have a Lexicon u42S and i had a different experience from you - i hated it. The drivers were crap, it constantly disappeared from my available sound options in preferences on my iMac (and obviously opening a sequencer at this point was useless), and the only workaround I had was to disconnect the unit and reconnect or restart my iMac! An email to customer support produced no reply whatsoever so am disappointed with their support as well.

So i sold it this morning and have been looking at the C600.

One thing I wanted to find out was how it performed when using the interface as the input/output device on a Mac (so all sounds go through the interface instead of the iMac speakers) and whether you can control the main volume with the volume keys on the Mac keyboard. For some reason I'm assuming that you cannot. My friend has the Apogee Ensemble and controlling the volume can be done with the keyboard as well as the main volume knob on the Apogee interface which is very nice. Basically I want to channell all sounds (including computer effects, when i visit web pages etc) through the interface to my monitors. Im ok with using the volume knob on the interface, but would be extremely happy if i could still control the main volume with the volume keys. This seems like a weird thing for me to want for an audio interface, but its a case of "a nice to have feature"!

Have you had any issues since this thread started with your iMac not 'seeing' the interface?

The multi button and the build seem to be your main gripes with this - anything else since then?

I appreciate any response!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information