"Import Session Data" question (LE 7)

I believe I already know the answer to this question, but I figured I'd ask anyway in case I'm wrong! I'm mixing several songs for a band and I'd like to be able to transfer plugin settings from one session to the other, as for the most part they want their songs to all sound similar/the same. If I recall correctly, this can be done through the "Import Session Data" option in Pro Tools HD, but I believe this feature is blocked in LE? Either way, I'd like to know what peoples' work-arounds are if this is in fact true, as I would very much like to not have to write down the settings between sessions and meticulously copy them!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does ProTools not allow you to save presets?

yes, you can save presets for the plugins
and yes you can use import session data in LE. File-->Import Session Data. This will be faster than having to redo all the plugs
You just can't import OMFs via this option (unless you have the addon)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does ProTools not allow you to save presets?

I'm 99% sure it does, but I'd rather not save 20+ presets for all of the different plugins I've got spanning the 16 or so channels! It'd definitely save some time over writing down the settings, but it's still meticulous... :p

yes, you can save presets for the plugins
and yes you can use import session data in LE. File-->Import Session Data. This will be faster than having to redo all the plugs
You just can't import OMFs via this option

When I go to import session data, do i import them as new tracks, then move the regions into the appropriate places? Call me crazy, but I believe I've tried importing session data and the only option it gave me in the drop-down menu next to the available tracks was "New Track"...?

so you've already recorded the band and just want to bring in the plugins? It would have been easier to just import session data before you started the new song...but no biggy.
You do have to import them as new tracks, but then just do a Alt+drag (option on mac?) and drag each plug to their respective track. This copies a plugin.
Or, you can do what you said and move all the regions down to the new track. Either way works.

so you've already recorded the band and just want to bring in the plugins? It would have been easier to just import session data before you started the new song...but no biggy.
You do have to import them as new tracks, but then just do a Alt+drag (option on mac?) and drag each plug to their respective track. This copies a plugin.
Or, you can do what you said and move all the regions down to the new track. Either way works.

Yeah, I'm talkin' during mixdown, not tracking. I utilized the import function when tracking to copy i/o settings and it was great! But now that I'm mixing, I've got 5 separate sessions that all need to be mixed relatively similarly. I'll probably do as you suggested and copy the plugins from imported tracks to the current tracks. Kind of annoying, but it'll work! Thanks :)

And yes, it'd be the 'option' key (also labeled 'alt' on my MBP :) )

Why not just import the session data and drag the regions into the new tracks? Easier than dragging all the plugins over.

Back