IF you were going to get a C24... what would you get with it..?

14yearoldkid

Hi! I am getting the C24 by digidesign (please refrain from badmouthing it, it'll only make me feel like crap lol!)

Okay so, what audio interface would you get to go along with it? 003's? 8x8x8's? 192?... I just want opinions.

Also would you get like a AD/DA also? or just use the ones on the interfaces?... hm.

Any bundles out there with the c24 that I should look into?

thanks!

003/8x8x8/192....it depends on what software you wana run with it. LE or HD or other.

also depends on whether or not you want to use the c24s built in preamps.

if you do, i'd go c24, pt9 and a pair of echo audiofire 12s or similar.(12 line ins each)

personally, i'd want to look at euphonix controls instead of c24 anyway, but that's just me.

tell us more about what you want.

hey!...thanks for the response

I defintely want to use Pro Tools 9 HD.

Pro tools 9 is more flexible or completely flexible with all other hardware right?... i don't need to buy avid/digidesign stuff right?

I don't know if I want to use the built in pre's on the c24... I'm going to be recording peope more than myself. Probably 5 piece bands and stuff like that. So I don't know how much of a difference using the pre's of the c24 itself or actually using others. I obviously will have a few good single channel pre amps for vox for instance.

SO you would use the echo 12's with pro tools 9 and the c24?...

it's more complicated than that.

i honestly don't know how HD works now that version 9 is out. You'd be better checking avid's website for the facts,,,but

I think technically there is no LE any more.
With the 'non HD' version of 9, if you wanna call it that, the answers yes. you can use virtually any hardware you like.

I always saw the c24 as a big waste, cos i've never ever seen anyone use the preamps in it, but i can understand why it's attractive as a control surface.

Here's one for you though. I just sold my 003 console, and tbh i preferred using it to the c24. It offers exactly the same degree of control, with the only drawback being that you have to press bank left or bank right to change from tracks 1-8,9-16,10-24.

You could probably get one for £900 or so now if that interests you.
It also has 4 built in preamps and IS an interface, unlike the c24. Plus it has adat expansion and spdif, plus 4 line/inst ins.

Hey,

Well yeah I definitely am going to use HD.

Yeah people say it's a big waste but having to mix eight channels at a time like in the 003 console would be annoying. Well not annoying but having the C24 will give you more of that mixing on a full board feel.

I'm definitely getting the C24 now I'm just looking for opinions on what to pair it with...

I found a bundle that had the 8x8x8's but are these better than the 003?... There's also a 003 bundle.

I'm debating on a iMac or G5 also. I don't want overkill but a good computer or recording only. Would a souped up iMac work? Not enough FireWire? Idk.

What about pairing it with some 192's?... Pairing it with apogee ad/da? Or that's a waste?

So basically I plug all my xlr and line inputs to the INPUTS on my interface right?... Then the outputs of that to my c24s. I can also use the inputs on the C24???

I think you might be planning to far ahead maybe..your questions all overlap.

If you're definitely going to buy an HD rig, then 003 is out of the equation since it's is an LE interface.

Getting a 003 would be more or less pointless.

I dont know what you mean by 'not enough firewire'. you'll only need firewire for a firewire interface (like 003).
If you're going HD this isn't a factor.

IMO a new imac would be fine. they're pretty hefty machines.
I'd avoid G5 or G anything, since they've been left behind by apple. (no software updates etc)

the confusion over ins and outs is simple.

c24 is a control with preamps.....no interface.
HD cards and 192s (for example) are a possible interface.

You can plug mics into the c24, and then the outputs would go into a 192
OR
You can run other preamps that you've bought into the inputs of the 192

You'd never run a separate preamp into your c24.

I'm pretty sure that's all accurate. Maybe someone will confirm.
hope this helps.

HD is totally different from normal PT9. To run Pro Tools HD you have to be running a HD rig: HD native
HD accel 1, 2 or 3

As I understand Pro Tools Hd is a system where everything is run from its own processor reducing latency increasing overall quality and reducing the computers CPU. To own Pro Tools HD you need to buy a whole PT HD rig.
Although with Pro Tools 9 you can run the HD version without the hardware but you still need to buy the hardware to get the HD version. The normal Pro Tools 9 runs with almost anything, and you can upgrade to the tool pack for a fair bit of cash which gives you everything HD has, obviously without the added sound quality and stability from the HD hardware.

I'd say definatly look at the euphorix stuff, since avid owns them there is bound to be some good intergration in the future and they are better control surfaces. plus if your not going to use the C24's pre amps then your spending alot of money on a piece of gear that wont b usd to its potential

No offence, but if you are wanting to run a HD system which for the C24 and the hardware will cost over £20000 than you should really get a Mac Pro. and if your asking questions like this I would do some serious thinking and research, going to different stores to test out verious gear. etc because your either quite stupid or arrogently rich to spend that much money on stuff you seem t know little about. IMHO.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HD-Native
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HD-3-Accel-Systems

Although with Pro Tools 9 you can run the HD version without the hardware but you still need to buy the hardware to get the HD version. .

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
What the hell does that mean. :)

At this point (version 9) why would you ever buy the HD version? The cost is so out of line it is a suckers' buy for the HD products.

Protools HD 1 considered by most useless, Protools HD 2 runs around $10K (USD) and Protools HD 3 Core goes for around $13K with NO I/O

Why would anyone ever buy those products when you can buy Protools 9 (Full Version) for $599, add Production Tool kit 2 for about $1800 and have all the capabilities of those HD systems and not be locked to Avid hardware??? So for the total cost of about $2400 you have the same exact capability (other than you do not need AVID specific hardware) as HD 1,2,or 3 for a fraction of the cost.

Save your money, buy protools 9 and add the production tool kit 2 if you want the fuctionality of the HD version. With the money you will save you could but the C24, SSL, or just about any other control surface mentioned with the savings.

Last edited:
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
What the hell does that mean. :)

At this point (version 9) why would you ever buy the HD version? The cost is so out of line it is a suckers' buy for the HD products.

Protools HD 1 considered by most useless, Protools HD 2 runs around $10K (USD) and Protools HD 3 Core goes for around $13K with NO I/O

Why would anyone ever buy those products when you can buy Protools 9 (Full Version) for $599, add Production Tool kit 2 for about $1800 and have all the capabilities of those HD systems and not be locked to Avid hardware??? So for the total cost of about $2400 you have the same exact capability (other than you do not need AVID specific hardware) as HD 1,2,or 3 for a fraction of the cost.

Save your money, buy protools 9 and add the production tool kit 2 if you want the fuctionality of the HD version. With the money you will save you could but the C24, SSL, or just about any other control surface mentioned with the savings.

It means that people who have the Hd version can run it without the HD hardware, so, for example: If your studio is running a Hd rig you can install your version of PT 9 HD on you laptop and use it where ever. The second thing you mention, is the reason why alot of Pro Tools HD users are pissed off now. Alot of people have invested alot of money in getting on the Pro Tools ladder, a ladder which is now rendered almost useless, for the reason you say. One can either buy HD for 10k of PT 9 and the tool kit for, as you say £2400.

But a Pro Tools HD rig is a Pro Tools HD rig! Alot of people put down avid/digi gear because they have been tied to it, but the reality is (-the older mboxes) their gear is very very good, the HD converters, why wouldn't you want them? those bad boys are amazing! Yes you could save your self alot of money, and yeah for a home studio of even a small project studio it is very much worth saving. But for the bigger boys it is still the best.

Ben has the most correct response so far. I have an HD2 Accel with a Pro Control and an HD3 non-accel with a Control 24, and now PT9 has eliminated a lot of the value of the older HD3.

That said, if you run pro sessions full time, the smoothness of a pure HD system still can't be beat. None of the big rooms here in nashville are switching their main rooms to PT9 to save a few bucks. That said, for edit rooms & project studios, PT9 on a mac pro is 90% of the way there. Great value now.

Back