Has anyone replaced an 001 with non-Digi hardware?

JTC111

I started a similar thread about this a couple of days ago, but I think this is really the question I need answered: Has anyone here replaced an 001 with non-Digi hardware?

If you've done it, please let me know what you bought and how you hooked it up.

Thanks!

It sounds like you really, really, really want to break the hardware copy-protection in Protools.

Forget it.

If you use Protools you MUST use Digidesign-sanctioned hardware.

and tried to run PT still with it? Only other way is to use M-Audio hardware and buy Pro Tools M-Powered

yes, i forgot to say and still run PT. So the bottom line is you can't use PT unless you use digi's hardware or buy M-Audio's hardware?

It sounds like you really, really, really want to break the hardware copy-protection in Protools.

Forget it.

If you use Protools you MUST use Digidesign-sanctioned hardware.

Are there any parts of the hardware that can be bypassed without going to Digi-jail?

Are there any parts of the hardware that can be bypassed without going to Digi-jail?

you can use any digital connection you want with your 001 (ADAT or S/PDIF). But in order to even open up Pro Tools, it has to have a Digidesign hardware device attached to it

you can use any digital connection you want with your 001 (ADAT or S/PDIF). But in order to even open up Pro Tools, it has to have a Digidesign hardware device attached to it

Does that mean it's possible to use another maker's word clock and/or AD/DA or is that not doable?

Does that mean it's possible to use another maker's word clock and/or AD/DA or is that not doable?

I actually answered this in your previous thread. Check my last response.

yes, you can completely bypass the 001's AD/DA and clock (to a certain extent).

Use an external digital converter that will output either S/PDIF or ADAT.

I actually answered this in your previous thread. Check my last response.

yes, you can completely bypass the 001's AD/DA and clock (to a certain extent).

Use an external digital converter that will output either S/PDIF or ADAT.

I know and thank you. I was just looking for some confirmation on that. But that brings me to another question: can s/pdif or adat be daisychained?

you'll only get 8 channels max on the ADAT and 2 channels max on the S/PDIF

Okay, so let's say I pick up an Apogee Ensemble and hook that up, at that point, besides the word-clock, what funtion would the 001 be serving?

In case you're unfamiliar with the unit:
Ensemble features 36 channels of simultaneous audio, including 8 channels of Apogee A/D and D/A conversion, 4 digitally controlled 75dB mic preamps, 8 channels of ADAT I/O, 2 channels of S/PDIF coax and optical I/O, and FireWire connectivity to and from the computer.

The ensemble is a whole 'nother interface. You don't need it. I don't think you'd be able to use that simultaneously with the 001.

You aren't looking for an entire interface. You just need a front end adat preamp type thing. Apogee doesn't really make anything like that, as their stuff is higher end and designed more for connectivity with PTHD.

What about something like this http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=14

What is it about the 001 that you're not down with?

Like Dax said, the Ensemble isn't something you need as that is considered an interface. Although Apogee does make standalone AD/DA converters:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c796--Apogee--AD_DA_Converters

And there are many other brands out there. Apogee makes mostly line level converters....without preamps. If you want preamps, a really inexpensive and popular one is the Behringer ADA8000

They will take your analog signal, convert it to digital and send it out in ADAT optical format for you to plug into your ADAT inputs on the 001.

Last edited:
The ensemble is a whole 'nother interface. You don't need it. I don't think you'd be able to use that simultaneously with the 001.

You aren't looking for an entire interface. You just need a front end adat preamp type thing. Apogee doesn't really make anything like that, as their stuff is higher end and designed more for connectivity with PTHD.

What about something like this http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=14

What is it about the 001 that you're not down with?

I'm really looking to upgrade the quality of the converters and if it's possible to ugrade the wordclock as well. I have or will have enough in terms of high quality preamps so that's not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Hmmm okay. Well then those apogee rosettas might be a good bet.

As far as clocking... I don't think you'd notice an improvement in jitter by adding an external converter, regardless of quality. If anything it'd only get worse.

If you really want to improve jitter in your digital system, you're going to have to get a dedicated clock like the digidesign sync or apogee big ben.

The ensemble is a whole 'nother interface. You don't need it. I don't think you'd be able to use that simultaneously with the 001.[/URL]

Actually, I believe that the ensemble can run as a stand-alone converter as well as a FW interface. But as dax says, it does more than what you want.
?

I'm really looking to upgrade the quality of the converters and if it's possible to ugrade the wordclock as well. I have or will have enough in terms of high quality preamps so that's not an issue for me.

you *can* upgrade the wordclock, but I suggest you read up on how PLLs work. You may chose to clock the 001 from (for ex.) the Apogee, but unless the 001 is very badly designed the improved will be minimal, if not negligible.

If you really want to improve jitter in your digital system, you're going to have to get a dedicated clock like the digidesign sync or apogee big ben.

Even that is doubtful. At the end of the day, the 001 has to re-clock the incoming clock signal, so it will only ever be as good as the PLL circuitry in the 001 - it's an old unit, i'm not sure what it'd be like.

if you say you will be getting a bunch of high quality pres then i suggest simply investing in a good AD/DA. The Rosettas aren't a bad place to start.

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

Back