Grid is Uneven! Why?

Mr. F.

So I went through and added some bass guitar to a song I'm working on. The part is syncopated and a little advanced for someone who doesn't normally play bass. I got a pretty decent take recorded but wanted to nudge a few notes into pocket when I noticed my grid was uneven! what the heck? I sampled the drums used in this song so I know they are in time and line up great with the Protools click track. So what is going on!? Here's a pic.

Protools grid.jpg

Thanks for any help.

It's because you have tempo changes.

It's a real time view, so a bar at 100bpm is going to be wider than a bar at 200pbm, since it takes longer to pass.

I just saw that! Somewhere between trying to nudge stuff around and attempting to use automatic quantizing and beat detective it must have added those in? I couldnt get beat detective or quantizing to line up my dotted 1/8 notes right so Im just gonna do the verse sections manually. Now my only problem is removing the tempo changes without manipulating the recorded tracks...

Removing tempo changes won't effect audio.

It will effect midi though.

IIRC, that's what beat detective does. It maps out a variable tempo to match what you've played.

Well for some reason all of the new tracks I create already have polyphonic elastic audio enabled. So it will stretch them... Whats wierd is I have all the elastic audio desabled and I deleted all the tempo changes in the ruler, all of the tracks are tracking fine except background vocals... Im starting to get a little frustrated...

Got it. The track was on volume instead of waveform so it acted like it didnt switch from polyphonic until I changed it back to waveform... Wierd. Thanks for your quick response.

Elastic audio won't stretch anything unless you tell it to.
The fact that it's on means nothing other than PT has mapped out the transients and will let you move them.

If the background vocal is off time, you must have interfered with it i guess.

edit** didn't see your other reply. Glad you got it sussed.

Found the root of whole problem. I guess I was rusty not using Protools in the last 2 years... All my tracks were in ticks instead of samples...

Back