going pro tools

AHHH dont make things harder!
The way I was thinking was to go with the mbox pro so I could have all the features I need. I was thinking about going m-powered because I thourght I could get a little better. But thinking about it, like you said Avid is changing. So I thourght they wouldn't bring out a brand new mbox and then disown it a couple of months down the line. and since It is built to out run pro tools le. It seems to have room to grow. So i am trying to make a tactical decision. But knowing avid they will just demand more money, maybe Im hoping that this change is for the better
The mbox runs PTle. I don't think that's going anywhere. M-powered is what is a little iffy, that runs off of m-audio hardware and is the lowest form of protools.

Hi guys,
I have recently decided to change from cubase 5 to pro tools. Being at uni, all the systems run logic (use pc), pro tools m-powered 8 and Cubase 4 studio. Using Cubase 5 makes transfering work to uni very time consuming. So I have decided to go pro tools to help with the transaction of work.

I have spent alot of time deciding weather to go m-powered or le. I was thinking about the mbox 3 pro because it is a step up from what I have already, and it seems to be a little future proof. or was thinking about m-powered, with a fast track ultra 8r or profire 2626 if I could stretch that far. but I hear the octane pres are a little on the bad side. Im a little more swayed towards the mbox

I would like to know what you think about the two versions? which do you think can give you the most bang for your buck? Also does anyone know when the mbox pro will be available (uk), Thank you!
Avid acquired one of the guys from Apogee a little while ago and put him to work on the new Mboxes, so the preamps and converters on those things are going to be way nicer than anything M-Audio is putting out right now. You can still grab the previos Mboxes, of course, but they don't have the new stuff in them. The new Mboxes (except the mini) have onboard DSP, too, so you can add reverb to your whiny vocalist's mix now.

The mbox runs PTle. I don't think that's going anywhere. M-powered is what is a little iffy, that runs off of m-audio hardware and is the lowest form of protools.
I don't know that it'll be going anywhere yet. They're starting to open it up to more hardware, like Mackie's firewire mixers. I'm told they are also trying to get more hardware in there, too.

MBOX 3: http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/...B~p~-1320828307~acaid~1732750618~aff~5998.htm

MBOX 3 MINI: http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/...NI~p~1179931125~acaid~1204228642~aff~5998.htm

The URL says MBOX-2, but the site shows a 3. Either way, it proves academic is out there. I couldn't find an academic Pro though.

Thanks, I just checked the store where I was going to buy it, and they have put up educational pricing. :).

Avid acquired one of the guys from Apogee a little while ago and put him to work on the new Mboxes, so the preamps and converters on those things are going to be way nicer than anything M-Audio is putting out right now. You can still grab the previos Mboxes, of course, but they don't have the new stuff in them. The new Mboxes (except the mini) have onboard DSP, too, so you can add reverb to your whiny vocalist's mix now.

Yeah I heard about the Apogee guy, I never thourght about the mbox before I saw this one. I get the impression, as do people I have read about; that Avid are actually trying to make something workable here, instead of the old mbox's which seemed a little shoddy, the new range, I feel that there is a little more quality behind it.

If you had the choice would you go le, or m-powered? keeping in mind the changes that might occur

Just worked out that I can get:

PT M-powered + Profire 2626 for £630.

Or.

PT LE + Mbox 3 Pro for £598.

Sorry guys for being annoying. just need a little help making the right choice upgrading to somthing I wont need to upgrade majorly for a good while

LE and M-powered are basically the same thing, though I have a feeling that M-powered is the one they will be expanding to more interfaces soon. I probably still wouldn't go with either, since I'd rather not have to restrict my options at all, but if I only needed a couple of inputs, I'd go with one of the Mbox bundles. If I needed a bunch of inputs (and I do), I'd probably go with M-powered. The 2626 is supposed to be a pretty good unit, though I imagine the new Mboxes are a bit nicer. But even the Mbox Pro doesn't have 8 onboard preamps with ADAT for later expansion, so... yeah. On the other hand, there's no way they'll keep the racks with the old technology for much longer, so you could always hold out for an LE rack system. That'll still cost you more than a comparable M-powered system, though.

LE and M-powered are basically the same thing, though I have a feeling that M-powered is the one they will be expanding to more interfaces soon. I probably still wouldn't go with either, since I'd rather not have to restrict my options at all, but if I only needed a couple of inputs, I'd go with one of the Mbox bundles. If I needed a bunch of inputs (and I do), I'd probably go with M-powered. The 2626 is supposed to be a pretty good unit, though I imagine the new Mboxes are a bit nicer. But even the Mbox Pro doesn't have 8 onboard preamps with ADAT for later expansion, so... yeah. On the other hand, there's no way they'll keep the racks with the old technology for much longer, so you could always hold out for an LE rack system. That'll still cost you more than a comparable M-powered system, though.

Im just my self at the moment so I only need a couple of inputs. I was going to get the pro which has 4 mic pres. so gives me a little bit of room. which makes it the obvious choice. But making a relativly large investment (in my eyes), I want to look into the future. A new le rack wouldn't be worth the added cost in my eyes. But the m-audio is tempting because its in my price range and I have room to expand. but no doubt there will be a new version of tools coming out soon. And I feel getting le would give me a free upgrade

fwiw

i just returned the 2626 to GC yesterday, not a great interface but defintely better than my last digi interface. the preamps sounded really thin to me.

i used protools for years and have a digi002r still as a backup (at one point i owned an mbox2 before my 002, STAY AWAY from these, they suck ass seriously!!!)

recently i've switched to cubase and it instantly, sans mixing any of the tracks, sounded better than protools. (and i was using the digi002 as my interface with cubase at the time)

imo protools le is garbage! mainly because it's a resource hog in comparision with other DAW's but also because it does not include automatic input latency compensation or Automatic plugin latency compensation.

every other DAW does this ADC except for protools, unless of course you buy Protools HD lol, at the tune of several thousand dollars.

skip protools le if you can... if you want me to go into more detail of why latency comp is important i don't mind :)

You can run more inputs on the profire+ it's a better interface (DSP mixer is a huge thumbs up to me).

I say m powered. I have no idea why it would be considered the lowest pro tools. Having gone from LE to m powered I can tell you first hand LE and M powered are identical out of the box (well.... except the icon).

I don't agree with the cubase sentiment either (and cubase what I primarily use, I'm not a giant pro tools fan), software is just how you work not how you sound.

Yeah lack of ATC is kind of a bastard, but there is a way around that.

I understand wanting pro tools while at school, it's what they teach therefore it's what you will want to use.

:D

You can run more inputs on the profire+ it's a better interface (DSP mixer is a huge thumbs up to me).

I say m powered. I have no idea why it would be considered the lowest pro tools. Having gone from LE to m powered I can tell you first hand LE and M powered are identical out of the box (well.... except the icon).

I don't agree with the cubase sentiment either (and cubase what I primarily use, I'm not a giant pro tools fan), software is just how you work not how you sound.

I understand wanting pro tools while at school, it's what they teach therefore it's what you will want to use.

Fail!

obviously you didn't read the part of my post where i mentioned that the 2626sounded better than all my digi gear (002r and mbox2) but still sounds lame overall...especially in comparision to other good interfaces.

and sure a DAW is what you make of it however... input latency is huge!

and that is the difference between PT and everyone else plus editing midi in PT sux balls ;)

FWIW not just talking about plugin latency compensation i'm talking about input latency compensation.

Sorry to sound like a picky arse, but im at university. :D I learnt on cubase, its what ive been using and am very happy with it. The need to change comes from being a Uni which uses primeraly Pro Tools, and especally with some dicks on my course, who like to exploit the fact I cant use what they use. but mainly wrok flow issues when it comes down to it compatibility and quick transfer of work are ruleing this decision.

Im almost cirtain, I am going to buy the mbox 3 pro. It has everything I need, up untill the next gen of hardwear is released. the new interfaces have some very promising reviews, and with all the speculations going around about avid. prediction or not I think the mbox is the best way to go.

Fail!

obviously you didn't read the part of my post where i mentioned that the 2626sounded better than all my digi gear (002r and mbox2) but still sounds lame overall...especially in comparision to other good interfaces.

and sure a DAW is what you make of it however... input latency is huge!

and that is the difference between PT and everyone else plus editing midi in PT sux balls ;)

FWIW not just talking about plugin latency compensation i'm talking about input latency compensation.

Yeah, I don't track in pro tools. But if I did I would just run my buffers stupid low. lol

Also: Make sure you do the loop back with cubase, the latency compensation is good but not perfect.

I just browsed this thread, because when I saw the OP's question, the first thing I thought was ADC. When I got here to the end, I saw someone else had already brought the issue up.

I love Cubase 5, but had I money to burn I'd be happy run HD alongside it. Don't forget with HD that's zero latency.

With the above question, 'why no ADC in LE and M-Powered?' ... it's only about marketing. Avid is not going to give you the real thing unless you pony up for HD. They sell tons of entry level and prosumer level hardware through M-Audio and figure the cachet of 'ProTools' is a great marketing move and an extra income stream.

I actually would have been interested in the 'native' HD PCI/ PCIe card if you could use your existing hardware (haven't checked close enough to see if it either the 'program' card or i/o card accepts ADAT)

Prado

Back