file management

Rusty K

Hello,

I'm just getting started with PT MBox 2 mini and I've already noticed that my Audio folder is filling with discarded takes etc.. How do I purge the unused files from this folder? Also after naming the tracks in my session these names aren't carried to the corresponding files in the audio folder. I find this potentially confusing. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rusty K

regions menu-->select unused
regions menu-->remove selected...delete all

this gets rid of unused regions that might have been created and aren't used anymore.
You also have the option, if you don't like a take, to just choose Undo from the Edit menu to undo the last take. This will remove it from the audio files folder.

Naming a track that already contains regions does not rename those regions or their parent files. You need to name the tracks at the beginning of the session so that when you record onto them they will save with that track name.

bennychico11,

regions menu-->select unused
regions menu-->remove selected...delete all

Regions menu? I have a Region drop down menu at the top of the session window but there is no "select unused" or "remove selected".

Naming a track that already contains regions does not rename those regions or their parent files. You need to name the tracks at the beginning of the session so that when you record onto them they will save with that track name.

So I have to name the track before the first save?

Thanks,
Rusty K

Regions menu? I have a Region drop down menu at the top of the session window but there is no "select unused" or "remove selected".

right hand side of the edit window. you should see two separate windows for "Audio" and "MIDI" regions. These are your regions bin. If you don't see them, click on the double arrows in the lower right corner.
Click on the top of the "audio" window to get a pull down menu

So I have to name the track before the first save?

name the track before you RECORD. Then Pro Tools will start labeling the regions "Guitar01....Guitar02" everytime you record something.
The track names just tell YOU what the track is made up of (guitar, drums, etc.). The region names tell you what each separate region is (guitar take 1, guitar take 2, guitar chorus, etc.)

bennychico11,

right hand side of the edit window. you should see two separate windows for "Audio" and "MIDI" regions. These are your regions bin. If you don't see them, click on the double arrows in the lower right corner.
Click on the top of the "audio" window to get a pull down menu

Yes I had found this but they are on the left and called "Tracks" and "Mix Groups" and no where in the drop down menus is there any option to select unused tracks and delete. My "Region" tab goes gray when I click the two arrows at bottom left to open my "Regions Bin" so all the regions options can be accessed either way.

name the track before you RECORD.

Ok I understand this part!

Rusty K

Yes I had found this but they are on the left and called "Tracks" and "Mix Groups" and no where in the drop down menus is there any option to select unused tracks and delete.

Yeah, that's your show/hide and groups windows
There is also a double arrow on the RIGHT side of the window as well for more windows (your audio and MIDI regions bins).
See this picture: http://aes.harmony-central.com/113AES/Content/Digidesign/PR/Pro-Tools-6-large.jpg

You manual talks about this on page 198

You also have the option, if you don't like a take, to just choose Undo from the Edit menu to undo the last take. This will remove it from the audio files folder.

or also you can press apple+.(period) whilst recording and that stops recording and deletes the file from your HD.

Jeeze....

I was looking in the mix window not the edit window...the sucker was hiding back there!

I did try to look this up in the manual under "session and file management" pg. 141 but there was precious little there about this.

Thanks folks...appreciated.

Rusty K

additional.....

Part of the reason I couldn't find this tab is because my windows don't really fit my screen size or desktop. For instance when I'm in edit view the double arrow is covered by the task bar at the bottom of my screen. By dragging the whole window up as much as I can I can finally get to these tabs. I remember when I first opened PT after installing I was playing around with it and got some window opened and I had a devil of a time getting it to close simply because every close point was almost impossible to access.

Sorry this could be a computer issue rather than PT but I've never had this problem with any other program that I've run.

Everything else is just fine....

Rusty K

Guess I can but I've never had a program that didn't size automatically. I'll check it out. Hopefully if I get them sized and saved it will stay that way.

I'm just a nerd not a computer nerd.

R

Update

Yes of course the windows are sized now and remain so after saving. A little different but certainly no big problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Rusty K

Back