EZ Drummer and Pro Tools

carsoste

Hi:
(I'm relatively new to Pro Tools and EZ Drummer so I'm sorry if this is naive.)
This is kind of a loaded issue, but I"ll ask about it anyway. First, last year I bought EZ Drummer so that I could record a drum sound in Pro Tools 10 with songs that I've been recording, arranging and mixing. Since I've been busy recording 10 songs with other instruments I haven't had the chance to use EZ Drummer with Pro Tools yet. But, now I can and I have some issues.
I have a Yamaha NP 30 Keyboard with MIDI ports (And a MIDI cable for it.) that I would like to use to manipulate the virtual drums that open up when you begin running the program like the mouse seems to be able to do. Because I don't know how to set that up does anyone know how I can use the Keyboard to manipulate the drums in EZ Drummer and can record with it in Pro Tools 10? If it's possible, how I can do that? Also, how do I record with EZ Drummer in Pro Tools while both programs are running because I can't seem to be able to do that? (I can run Pro Tools and EZ Drummer separately, but not at the same time.)
Secondly, the whole reason I bought EZ Drummer was that I was led to believe that I could record with it in Pro Tools by creating my own beats and drum patterns in real time and basically simulate what a live drum would be able to do with EZ Drummer. (My present situation doesn't allow me to record live drums.) But, from what I can see with EZ Drummer the only way that one can record with it is to pick a prerecorded drum sound, a time signature for it, and then use the piano roll feature to edit it so that it fits with the other instruments that I've recorded and then work from there. That approach feels tedious and not something that I find appealing. So, my question is can I create my own drum beats in real time, playing along to a basic track that I've recorded, and record in the same way that I would a live drum?
If doing any of the things that I've asked are possible could somebody out there answer this with a detailed, step by step description of how to do them because I'm a complete beginner in this area.
Thanks.

Hey,
I'm only addressing one issue here, but it's probably the root of the others.

I don't know EZ first hand, but it sounds a lot like you're running it as a standalone application?
Some VSTS do that. You can open it on it's own and play around, but that's no use to ProTools.
Both programs 'fight' over your IO.
You can also open these programs as a plugin within a host......

What you should be doing is this.
Open ProTools
Create a new instrument track
Click on inserts for that instrument track in the mix window.
Scroll down to 'instruments' and select EZ drummer.

That should open EZ drummer as a plugin, with Protools as the host.

By default Midi input should be set to your interface midi input and omni, so theoretically if you record arm the track, you should be able to bang away on the keyboard and hear drums from the get-go. (If not, we'll talk.)

Hit record and protools will record your performance as midi. That midi is directed at EZ drummer.

As far as manipulating beats using your keyboard, I'm not sure what that means.
I generally pick some beats that I like then alter them with mouse/keyboard, OR record a new beat with a controller/keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Back