Digi 002 Preamp compatibility

farewellending

Hey, i have two questions. the first is important. I just bought a Digi 002 with Pro Tools LE (so far pretty damn happy) I have a firepod, instead of getting the Digimax LT to expand my inputs from 4 to 8, can i use my firepod, Is it compatible? can I just hook it up with a firewire cable?

How do I create an effect send in pro Tools so that I don't have to track the individual tracks effects? Thanks

can i use my firepod, Is it compatible? can I just hook it up with a firewire cable?

How do I create an effect send in pro Tools so that I don't have to track the individual tracks effects? Thanks

1. No, you can't. the FW port on the 002 is just to be used as a hub. Pro Tools only works with digidesign interfaces. Sorry :( a good option is to buy something cheap like the Behringer ADA8000, which will give you 8 mic pres, 8 AD/DA all on the ADAT lightpipe connection (review here). Otherwise, if you have some external pres from something (ex. a console with direct outs) you can go straight into the line inputs on the 002.

2. In your mix window (the one with all the faders and shit, not the one with the wave forms!), under your inserts is a more lightly shaded grey bit. this is your sends section. Set up a send on your vocal track to, for ex., bus 1 (mono send). Then create a new mono aux track, and set the input to be bus 1. then insert on that aux send whatever effect you want. Now you can do cool things like automate the send to the effect unit, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Is that behringer okay to use? I want something good for my money, but not necassarily too expensive. Any ideas? If I hook one of these up to it, can I still use the four better preamps in the Digi 002 (i only need the other preamps for two Toms)

Couldn't I just use two microphone cables with an XLR to 1/4 inch and use Inputs 5 and 6 for the toms? I mean, why buy a whole new preamp if all I need are two signals from the two toms (which I am sampling over anyway). What do you say? Thanks
-Tom Camp

What do i need to hook up the behringer preamp to my digi 002? any special type of cable?

You will need this:

Lightpipe Optical Cable (TOSLink/ADAT)

Guitar Center had them in stock when I got my ADA8000. I recommend getting 2 of them and connecting the ADAT in of the Digi 002 to the ADAT out of the ADA8000 and the ADAT out of the Digi 002 to the ADAT in of the ADA8000.

Read this thread on how to set Pro Tools as the master clock source.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB32&Number=1088442&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ADA8000&Searchpage=0&Limit=2500&Main=1087818&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=10&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=1#Post1088442

You CAN get just one cable and let the ADA8000 be the master source, but there seem to be enough threads out there recommending the 2 cable method as being more reliable to justify doing it.

FWIW, I got my ADA8000 in 2005 and was warned about the quality control of Behringer by the GC saleman himself, but it has always come through for me when I need the extra preamp inputs for recording our band live.

bilco

Back