differences between pro tools and adobe audition?

Wazn has it right. If you want to work in the industry, you *must* learn Pro Tools. If you just want to record at home and you like audition, stick with it until you need to grow beyond it.

first part I agree with. I may not like ProTools but you gotta be able to get by with it.

Second part not true at all. You could easily record and mix the exact same tracks the exact same ways in either and have an identical product. (assuming you used the same plug-ins and settings)

yeah, after reading all the responses i think ill just stick with audition, ive been using it ever since it was cool edit pro, and it seems to work fairly well with my alesis multimix.

i am amazed it will only work with their gear, that seems to be a invitation for low sales,

hope all is well, thanks for the help

i am amazed it will only work with their gear, that seems to be a invitation for low sales,
Unless you establish yourself as the "industry standard", then you can get away with anything you want.

When they first got into the game, studios were leasing DAWs. The Synclavier, for example was something that a studio could not own. It could only lease it. There are still companies that do that, like Varilites.

it depends on how you look at it. proprietary hardware means it has been tested at length, and is pretty much garranteed to work. with protools, the hardware and software work as one. i dont consider it a limitation at all, but an advantage. this is also the reason i choose to go the mac route. i know for a fact that my specific computer was tested with the exact hardware and software that i am working on. there are only 5-6 models of macs. it would be nearly impossible to test every single pc on the market. same with audio interfaces...

it depends on how you look at it. proprietary hardware means it has been tested at length, and is pretty much garranteed to work. with protools, the hardware and software work as one. i dont consider it a limitation at all, but an advantage. this is also the reason i choose to go the mac route. i know for a fact that my specific computer was tested with the exact hardware and software that i am working on. there are only 5-6 models of macs. it would be nearly impossible to test every single pc on the market. same with audio interfaces...

You pay a very large premium ($$$$) for that too. The information is out there as to what works with what. Do a small amount of research when buying a computer and DAW and you can have similar if not better functionality for a fraction of the cost of a Mac/ProTools setup.

Then buy an audiophile 2496 and M-powered for $350 total so you can convert other losers sessions. ;)

i guess i like to spend time making music and not researching hardware software compatibility. i also dont like wasting my time converting protools sessions just so i save a buck or two on software and hardware.. to each his own i guess... ;)

hi everyone
im about to do the same upgrade
audition to protools (m-powered)

if you can call it an upgrade.

but my question is: whats this about an ilock?
i have the m-audio firewire 1814, so thats why i'll use protools m-powered
but can someone explain to me if i'll have to shell out 40 bucks for an ilock?
and what is an ilock anyway???

thanks

hi everyone
im about to do the same upgrade
audition to protools (m-powered)

if you can call it an upgrade.

but my question is: whats this about an ilock?
i have the m-audio firewire 1814, so thats why i'll use protools m-powered
but can someone explain to me if i'll have to shell out 40 bucks for an ilock?
and what is an ilock anyway???

thanks

pro tools mpowered includes an ilok. no additional purchase neccessary...

an ilok is a usb dongle that holds your PT MP authorization as well as plugin authorizations.

the good,
you can put all your plugin liscenses on it and move from computer to computer all you want and use your plugins. also very nice when you do a fresh install. you dont have to reauthorize all your plugins.

the bad,
it MUST be plugged in to your computer to open PT MP...

the other bad is if the iLok breaks in anyway, you're screwed basically.

yeah, this part sucks. i lost an ilok once on a trip to nicaragua. i went through the process of reporting that it was lost. however, a week later i found it. i was supposed to send it to them, but i paid for the darn thing, ITS MINE! plus i had to repurchase the plugins anyway, which was only 2 digi plugins at the time. they were only $25. long story short, if you lose an ilok, dont report it as lost.... you have to repurchase the plugins anyway.

ahhhh i see
thats what i originally thought

and that comes in the box with the software right? cool

and what if i got the software without the ilock?
can i then buy it from the store normally and use it?
or does each specific software come with its specific ilock?

like you guys said... if you lose it, you're screwed.
couldnt you just buy another?

i guess i like to spend time making music and not researching hardware software compatibility. i also dont like wasting my time converting protools sessions just so i save a buck or two on software and hardware.. to each his own i guess... ;)

So how do you know what equipment to use to make music? Do you just blindly pick stuff that "everyone" else uses because someone trying to sell you something said so or do you research it? It's like any other gear purchase... If you don't do the research don't be suprised if you get burned. If you'd like to pay an extra couple grand just so Mac and digidesign can tell you what you HAVE to use instead of spending maybe 2 hours on the computer looking it up then.. to each his own I guess... ;)

And I already said that I choose not to use protools because I DON'T LIKE IT. I know how to use it... but I would rather use something else, so it's not a waste of time to me. The fact that pretty much every other DAW is cheaper is just a plus :D

So how do you know what equipment to use to make music? Do you just blindly pick stuff that "everyone" else uses because someone trying to sell you something said so or do you research it? It's like any other gear purchase... If you don't do the research don't be suprised if you get burned. If you'd like to pay an extra couple grand just so Mac and digidesign can tell you what you HAVE to use instead of spending maybe 2 hours on the computer looking it up then.. to each his own I guess... ;)

And I already said that I choose not to use protools because I DON'T LIKE IT.
Fair enough. Can I ask why you're slumming in the Pro Tools forum then?

Fair enough. Can I ask why you're slumming in the Pro Tools forum then?

I actually didn't look at what forum it was in when I started posting in here. I just saw it on "New Posts" and since I use Audition I decided to check it out.

And please don't think I am saying ProTools and Macs are the wrong choice for everyone. It's a personal style and workflow issue more than anything. Adobe works like I want to work, digidesign doesn't. simple as that.

I just hate it when people make it sound like they are the ONLY option for a stable system. Just blindly following a marketing campaign. The "Well I COULD be an intelligent consumer but... I'll just go with the crowd" mentality. If you use ProTools becuase you like it and it works the best for you Then I say more power to you. If you use it just because everyone else said so then you're a tool.

I just hate it when people make it sound like they are the ONLY option for a stable system. Just blindly following a marketing campaign. The "Well I COULD be an intelligent consumer but... I'll just go with the crowd" mentality. If you use ProTools becuase you like it and it works the best for you Then I say more power to you. If you use it just because everyone else said so then you're a tool.

i NEVER said PT on a mac was the only option.

i am an intelligent consumer. it was my RESEARCH that brought me to protools. :rolleyes:

i am done here...

I've been using it for about ten years... I grew up with it, you could say. Is it the only option? No. Does it do more than any other program? No. Is it able to do everything I could possibly want? No. Reaper has about 200 more options than Pro Tools, and does things I never even dreamed of doing. BUT... Pro Tools to me is like I want Microsoft Word to be. It has a simple, powerful workflow, it gives me all the features I want, and it is stable. Reaper is like Microsoft Word in the 2003 incarnation... every option under the frigging sun, at the price of simplified workflow. And not as stable. At least, in my experience. I realize you posted about audition, and I have no experience at all with Audition, the last time I used that, it was Cool Edit. But in my experience so far, Pro Tools is as stable as I could want, does everything I want it to, and does it all in a way that just makes sense to me. Especially when I compare the workflow to an analog, mixing board + machine style of working.

Now, that said, I have to take issue with some of your post information.

Pro Tools LE is NOT the most expensive DAW. It's actually pretty cheap... considering that it is included in the cost of the hardware, and the hardware is not all that much more expensive than other hardware from other manufacturers. An Mbox costs $300, which is like buying the software for the price of most other DAWs, and getting the hardware free.

And if you run it on M-Audio hardware, it costs you $250. Hell, that's $100 cheaper than Audition! That's certainly competitive with everything out there... only Tracktion and Reaper are significantly cheaper.

Back