Audio playback issue (only during recording)

MrWrenchey

Ladies and gents, I have a problem.
I'm running Pro Tools 10 with a Presonus Firestudio Project. When I'm about to record something, I hit the record button on the track in Pro Tools to make the track record ready, but when I do that, I can hear the same audio source two times; once because the Firestudio Project is sending the audio to me right as it hits the interface, and again because Pro Tools is sending me what it's getting about 8 ms later. It makes everything sound like it's got a weird reverb on it.
This doesn't affect the actual track; when it's recorded, it's only being played back once because there's only one source. However, it makes tracking really annoying because I'm hearing the same thing twice.
I'm using the Firestudio Project as my playback engine... Should I be using something different? (Pro Tools Aggregate I/O, etc.)
Many thanks. =]

For some reason, that cuts any playback from coming out at all. So it's like the audio is going to ProTools, coming back out the interface, and then when I hit record, it repeats the whole process and brings it back out a second time. So if I mute the track, it cuts both. :confused:

Sounds like you need to activate low latency monitoring in pro tools. It will turn of any software monitoring that is going on and allow you to use the direct out of the presonus box

You're using the correct choice. Aggregate isn't necessary unless you have more than one interface.

Are you definitely hearing it twice through the headphones/monitors, or are you just hearing the live sound then the latency.

Does PT10 have a separate input monitor and record arm, like PTHD had?

Since you say muting the track in question kills both signals, I can't think what could be going on.

Is there any complication in the setup? any buses/auxiliary tracks/delay effects?

If so, start with a completely clean session, just one audio track and see what happens.

Has this just started out of the blue or is it a new setup that's never worked right?

Sounds like you need to activate low latency monitoring in pro tools. It will turn of any software monitoring that is going on and allow you to use the direct out of the presonus box

I'm using Pro Tools lowest latency settings, and it still throws fits and is like, "Well, I want you to hear things twice because herp derp."

There aren't any buses/aux tracks/delay effects, this actually happened when there was just a single audio track and of course a master fader set up. No inserts, no sends, nothing else.
This is the first and only interface I've used to record into Pro Tools, so it's technically both out of the blue and never worked right. xD
Seeing as I have no clue what the FireControl monitor mixer is, I'm assuming I'm not... Inform me, sir.

Seeing as I have no clue what the FireControl monitor mixer is, I'm assuming I'm not... Inform me, sir.

It's software that gives you control over the direct hardware input monitoring your interface is capable of. It can completely replace any input monitoring done in PT, and it does it with less latency. The only thing you should be hearing through PT is playback of previously recorded tracks. Perhaps turning on Low Latency Monitoring will help. It tells PT to let the hardware take care of input monitoring. This is different from the buffer/latency settings.

Back