8.0.4 to be last supported on XP/Vista/Leopard

philbagg

Just Killing Time
Avid page:
Pro Tools 8.0.4 will be the last version of Pro Tools to support Macintosh Leopard (10.5.x), and Windows Vista operating systems. It will also be the last version of Pro Tools LE and M-Powered to support Windows XP.

I've tried searching around google, and can't find out why. Anybody know why they're no longer supporting these OS? Are they upgrading to a 64-bit DAW?

Avid page:

I've tried searching around google, and can't find out why. Anybody know why they're no longer supporting these OS? Are they upgrading to a 64-bit DAW?

Why? It's cheaper to develop for only the latest OSes. When you have to pay the devs to develop for compatibility on 43 OSes from the past 10 years, it can add up.

My best guess..

Vista = Crap and a flop.
XP = Ancient
Leopard = No longer current.

What Austin said is correct - there's no point in developing for every OS under the sun.

Traditionally support for old OS's is dropped pretty darn quick once a compatible version is released. I'm surprised that Leopard support has continued this long, but it's probably due to slow uptake in Snow Leopard as well as the fact that there have been no major updates to Pro Tools since.

Back