2 Questions

RD423

Gonna make it quick and too the point

1. I am looking into getting a mixer to run with my protools doesn't have to be anything big read in another thread about the bcf2000 looks cool but not sure if it would do all that I need. I really just want something I can mix with i.e. control the faders and bank over just take the place for the most part of the mouse. Anyone know if this would work or any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Currently my Macbook has two usb ports, I am running the MBox 1, a usb mouse and I have a external dvd burner and I'm sure whatever mixer I get will use usb as well, is there something I can use that will give me more usb ports and still be able to power my MBox?

Thx in advance guys.

Using an Mbox with a hub is not supported by Digidesign though it may work.

I would plug the Mbox into one of the USB ports, and use the other for the hub to connect the mouse, control surface and CD burner. This may however cause problems for the burner - I don't know, but since you wouldn't use the burner whilst using Pro Tools you could just remove the Mbox and insert the CD burner if that is the case.

USB hubs are historically and notoriously fickle. After too many attempts to get these things to work I found a powered Belkin hub that's fairly stout. Not perfect but works better than most.

I wouldn't hang to many of your hats on a perfect working USB hub.

Be careful

Last edited:
USB hubs are historically and notoriously fickle. After too many attempts to get these things to work I found a powered Belkin hub that's fairly stout. Not perfect but works better than most.

Be careful

That's identical to my experiences. I use my USB hub for non-important things: normally its just my keyboard, mouse and where I plug my camera to dump pics on to my computer.

You can try plugging your mBox into it but I wouldn't expect miracles.

As for the control surface, it's all up to how much you want to spend. the BCF2000 is great for the price, however I doubt the build or the flying fader quality is anything to write home about; however, they are 100mm 10-bit flying faders, so at least on paper they look good.

1. Yes that will work...and you want a control surface, not a mixer. A mixer is something different.

Thx bennychico I knew what I meant to say was a control surface but wrote that when I first woke up and thx everyone for their replies. And yeah the external burner wouldn't be hooked up while running pt so I could use one port for the mbox and then use all the other peripherals in the hub, just wasn't sure if the control surface would work while plugged up 2 a hub.

Thx for all of the replies guys, My thing was I didn't know if i should get a powered usb hub or not, I was looking at one in a computer shop today for $17.99 it looked like it had a spot for a power adapter to go into but it didnt come with one so not sure if I should get it or not.

Be careful

Again....and maybe again. USB hubs are historically and notoriously fickle. I think I spent about $60.00 to get one that was moderately useful.

I'm guessing $17.99 will buy you a world of heartache.

Be careful

The only thing I was going to use the hub for is like my keyboard, mouse, external dvd burner, the mbox was going to be plugged into the macbook directly and my external hd is firewire so wasn't going to use the hub for anything major.

I've had hubs that struggle with the keyboard and mouse although I'd think that improbable.

DVD burner's a whole other ballgame.

Just trying to help..be careful as by the time a found a decent hub that really worked I spent twice what I needed to.

Back