MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

mr-8 c.f. card compatibility

I have a suspicion (maybe I'm paranoid!) that fostex isn't going to list cards that may be affiliated with the competition. Just a hunch, but it seems like a lot of "unrated" cards are performing just fine.I'm waiting for the viking 512 mb to come down to $68.00 again. Buy.com had a four hour sale (I missed it!) for this card at around $118.00 with a $50.00 rebate.

-Mach

Re: mr-8 c.f. card compatibility

machinenmann said:
I'm waiting for the viking 512 mb to come down to $68.00 again.

It's been told by two members of this board that the Viking 512 has problems bouncing tracks on the MR-8 with v. 1.0.3. Beware.

Re: mr-8 c.f. card compatibility

machinenmann said:
I have a suspicion (maybe I'm paranoid!) that fostex isn't going to list cards that may be affiliated with the competition. Just a hunch, but it seems like a lot of "unrated" cards are performing just fine.I'm waiting for the viking 512 mb to come down to $68.00 again. Buy.com had a four hour sale (I missed it!) for this card at around $118.00 with a $50.00 rebate.

-Mach

Yeah -- the Viking 512 cfc would not bounce tracks on my MR-8. I could record single tracks okay, but when I tried to bounce to 5/6 or 7/8, the thing choked. I sent it back the next day.

mr-8 512mb card

Many bad words uttered loudly! Thanks for letting me know-I hadn't seen any negs about the viking and really was considering purchasing one. Looks like the simple tech would be my next choice. Anybody had anything funky go wrong with that one?

-Mach

SIMPLETECH TYPE TWO COMPATIBILITY?

******P.C. connection has a simpletech 512 mb type II ***** for 129.95 with a $50.00 rebate ending 3/31/03 . Will a type two work with the mr-8? Help me guys pleeeeease!-I've got two partial songs on that stupid 128 card and I need more memory NOW!! (In case you're wondering, I'm running 98 se which is why I haven't dumped the songs into my p.c. yet!)

I've had no problem w/ the Ridata 256 since Matt @ Fostex emailed me an upgrade which I USB'd to the MR-8. Now it reads [V1.03] when I boot it up. I got the card on ebay for $67. The card didn't function at all until I upgraded. I've been in the woodshed for the past 2 months so I don't even know if there are further upgrades since but I haven't needed them. The following URL, which is posted elsewhere on this forum on a separate thread, has 2 tunes that were done with the Ridata 256 on the MR-8 and dumped to Cool Pro Edit on the PC. I had to do the .wav conversion twice on 'Confirmation' though.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1

Any one who hasn't upgraded can get a download from matt@fostex.com

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

Re: SIMPLETECH TYPE TWO COMPATIBILITY?

machinenmann said:
******P.C. connection has a simpletech 512 mb type II ***** for 129.95 with a $50.00 rebate ending 3/31/03 . Will a type two work with the mr-8? Help me guys pleeeeease!-I've got two partial songs on that stupid 128 card and I need more memory NOW!! (In case you're wondering, I'm running 98 se which is why I haven't dumped the songs into my p.c. yet!)

According to the Fostex MR-8 FAQ, Type I ONLY.

Here's the response to someone's question about using an IBM Microdrive instead of the cfc:

Can I use Microdrive instead of CF card?

No, you cannot use Microdrive with MR8 with the following reasons;

1. MR8 port can only take Type I Card while Microdrive is Type II.

2. As the power consumption of Microdrive is far more than CF card, MR8 cannot work with it.

3. Its transfer speed is very slow so that it cannot be used for multitrack recorders

Thanks for the info. I'm going to upgrade the p.c. this weekend to windows xp so I can dump what I've recorded already and start working on some new material. I'll keep hitting the net for the 512 mb card and let everyone know when I find a reasonable price (probably with rebate) for it. Thanks again for the tech advice!

mr-8 512mb compact flash $

I finally found a simpletech 512 mb cf card through pc connection for $139.95 with a $50.00 rebate. That brings it down to about $90.00 with free shipping if you order before 3/31. The only catch is you MUST have it postmarked within TEN days of the purchase. It is arriving u.p.s. from california, so I would imagine it will take about four or five days to get here, leaving four or five days to get it postmarked. The rebate is downloadable (adobe acrobat) from simpletech.

Re: mr-8 512mb compact flash $

machinenmann said:
I finally found a simpletech 512 mb cf card through pc connection for $139.95 with a $50.00 rebate. That brings it down to about $90.00 with free shipping if you order before 3/31. The only catch is you MUST have it postmarked within TEN days of the purchase. It is arriving u.p.s. from california, so I would imagine it will take about four or five days to get here, leaving four or five days to get it postmarked. The rebate is downloadable (adobe acrobat) from simpletech.

Yeah -- get right on the rebate. I ordered the same card from J&R in NYC -- it took exactly one week (7 days) to make it to my house in San Diego. I only had one day to check out the card before dropping the rebate stuff off at the Post Office (the 10th day fell on a Sunday). I guess they don't plan on paying out too many rebates!

simpletech 512mb performance

Bizz- how long have you had the 512 and is it performing up to your expectations? Fostex hasn't updated their "approved" cards since late february. Can't wait to have the extra "legroom"!

Re: simpletech 512mb performance

machinenmann said:
Bizz- how long have you had the 512 and is it performing up to your expectations? Fostex hasn't updated their "approved" cards since late february. Can't wait to have the extra "legroom"!

I've had it for a couple of weeks now -- it works like a champ -- no problems. The extra legroom is VERY nice!

512 card/software upgrade

I just received a 512mb card from simpletech. Do I need to upgrade my mr8's software before installing the new compact flash? Do I use a usb from my computer to the mr8 usb? Do I have to be running software newer than 98 se to be able to upgrade the mr8?

512 card

Upgraded pc ('98 se) to xp. Downloaded mr8 ver 1.03 software. USB'd mr8 to pc, -followed pdf directions for upgrade. Replaced annoying, tiny, pathetic 128 card with big block, fuel injected, supercharged 512. Lots of room to stretch legs and experiment. Now I have to decide how to treat the mike imputs -Miking the cab at close range I still had to crank the trim control and the result was less than sonically satisfying. Anyone out there using (mike) tube preamps?

Back