New To Mac

Rusty K

Hello,

I'm new to Mac and I've been with Pro Tools for a couple of years. I've been pleased with it over what I was using before (Adobe Audition). Now that I have a Mac and because of the ongoing competition and conflicts between new OS versions and software updates, I'm seriously thinking about going with Logic. A pro engineer buddy of mine made the switch and showed me the program on his puter. It looks fanstastic and he claims that Logic uses less of his computer resources. Logic also seems like a seamless transition from GarageBand. Since I'm basically a songwriter and don't plan on becoming a professional engineer it seems reasonable that a good way for me to get started would be to aquaint myself with GarageBand first. From my point of view GB is already pretty awesome for fleshing out a tune.

Does anyone else here have GB experience? Am I correct in assuming that the GB sessions will drop into Logic?

I can tell you just coming from reading about Logic on apple.com that you can open GB files in Logic for sure.

Since I'm basically a songwriter and don't plan on becoming a professional engineer

From this sentence alone I'd recommend switching to logic. The MIDI capabilities
and instrument plugs in Logic kick the crap out of Pro Tools on that side of
things.

The way it's usually seen:
Pro Tools = Engineers Program
Logic = Composer/musician/producers program

(obviously this isn't THE WAY IT SHOULD BE but it's the right idea)

Hope this helps.

The only time I had trouble bringing GB files into Logic is when the GB version is newer than the Logic version, but they usually remedy that with an automatically downloaded patch.

If the sessions drop right in then am I to assume that all the GB plugins are in Logic so that the mix will translate?

If the sessions drop right in then am I to assume that all the GB plugins are in Logic so that the mix will translate?

Correct; Logic has a list of "GarageBand" plugins available to accomplish just that.

However, if you have built customized plugins in GB (e.g. if you took a standard plugin in GB, edited it's parameters, and saved it as a custom plug-in), then you would need to import this plugin into Logic. If you're using the standard plugins that come bundled with GB, this is a non-issue.

Correct; Logic has a list of "GarageBand" plugins available to accomplish just that.

However, if you have built customized plugins in GB (e.g. if you took a standard plugin in GB, edited it's parameters, and saved it as a custom plug-in), then you would need to import this plugin into Logic. If you're using the standard plugins that come bundled with GB, this is a non-issue.

Got it! That's a bit of a hassle but I'll just notate the settings and make the changes. I'm on my first GB project so it's not a big thing yet. Really I'm having a great time with GB and getting a nice mix at the same time. I've spent much time trying to "engineer" when I should be spending my time writing.

If I could please have some more of your time on GB...are there more loops and samples available to cover more keys? I've downloaded the big package from Apple that I saw available.

From this sentence alone I'd recommend switching to logic. The MIDI capabilities
and instrument plugs in Logic kick the crap out of Pro Tools on that side of
things.

The way it's usually seen:
Pro Tools = Engineers Program
Logic = Composer/musician/producers program

(obviously this isn't THE WAY IT SHOULD BE but it's the right idea)

Hope this helps.

This is good to know. It will help me with my decision. Lowly little GB is an epiphany for me. This approach is so much faster and easier for getting a song arrangement down. I don't think I'll ever try to record an amp again. I've spent a life time learning how to get a good onstage sound with amps. I no longer consider it part of my job discription to translate that nice amp sound to digital data. I don't need that level of realism to flesh out a tune besides I've always been an effects wonk ever since I first heard Ichycoo Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJzcF0v1eOE

My pro engineer buddy, who originally got me to go Pro Tools, has moved from PT to Logic. He told me that the audio file types used in GarageBand are not the same hi fidelity wav/aiff. I had just assumed that since selecting 24bit in options that I was getting 24bit wav/aiff. He told me not to bring any GB files to him for mixing but to get Logic Express. He said that if I liked GB that I would love Logic.

I think he's right...now to go count the pennies in my change bucket.

Back