How much can I expect from Logic and my Macbook?

Wow. We were routinely cutting 24 inputs at a time on 500mhz G4's in the early 2000's...so yes, a dual core 2ghz machine can do sooooo much.

@Randy - I'm curious what setup you were running. It sounds like software configuration/hardware quirks. 24 track, hour long concert recordings with a 2ghz machine are entirely doable with stable hardware.

Right now I'm running a Macpro with 10GB RAM, Logic Studio 9, Vienna Ensemble
Also running another Vienna server on a ASUS I7 quad core with 8 GB across a
gigabyte switch. I have no problems with this system it is the IMAC and MBP that
cause me grief. I think it is due to firewire limitations and trying to use FW backup
and ensemble together on the same chain. All I know is everything works on current
setup. I suppose I could just use a usb backup but I had this Glymph drive for a backup and wanted to get my money's worth out of it.

I have a MB with the same processor. I upgraded to 4GBs of RAM, and the thing works great! I use a Zoom R16 as my interface, and have no trouble recording 8 simultaneous audio tracks. I've also mixed 40-track+ projects with lots of plugins and no issues there either. This system has been the best one I've used so far.

Back