What's new in Reaper?

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I've been loathe to update Reaper whilst in the middle of a project, and now having finished said project, I've updated to the latest version.

It's probably been a year since I updated. Whilst I've found a page listing all the update changes for the various versions I skipped, it's pretty dry reading. Anything in particular been added to the functionality over the last year and a bit that's made your heart race a little faster?

I rarely update. My recording pute's offline, adding an extra step to the process. But also I often think the features and functions I use were likely all up and running with the first version. I know they're always adding all this MIDI functionality I know nothing about.

I update mine whenever there's an update. I don't know what the fuck all these updates do, but it's never interfered with any ongoing projects or caused any problems. Reaper's nerds are smarter than that.

yeh they concentrate on midi a lot because it was was a bit behind the audio functions
although what I know about midi I just wrote!
But there have been quite a lot of new things added, stretch markers were big for me!

@Armistice, did you get the sws extensions yet?

And don't forget the manual has been updated as well! :)

To Jiff's point, most of Reaper's updates are around MIDI processing. Since I just started with 4.x I don't know the difference fully. But MIDI capabilities have been a primary focus (based on the update list), mainly around MIDI editing and automation.

To Jiff's point, most of Reaper's updates are around MIDI processing. Since I just started with 4.x I don't know the difference fully. But MIDI capabilities have been a primary focus (based on the update list), mainly around MIDI editing and automation.

Will that affect latency? I've just started futzing with virtual midi devices in reaper, and latency has been my first big problem. (I'm also still on 3.x because I've yet to see a 4.x feature that I needed)

From the site:

"We've put special effort into making MIDI hardware timing and calibration as tight as it can be."

Now what that means, I do not know as MIDI has always had some timing issues even in other software. I see it more with drum recording (using a drum pad and SD/EZD recording live) than with other instruments. Slight delay but I can live with it, drums, since I don't know what I doing anyway, it is a bit more harder to deal with the delay. I just listen to the pad and fix it in the edit (quantize to a 32nd/64th does the trick).

Yeah, I started reading the list of changes through the various versions and saw a lot of MIDI stuff, which I wouldn't really be taking advantage of. Nothing jumped out as an awesome cool new feature that I had to have though... Thanks for the reminder on the manual, I'll download a new copy and have a read, perhaps....

Like Greg, I update mine every time it comes up with an update option. Nothing ever changes with regards to the main functionality of the program. Old projects still load up as they did before. Most of it is background stuff for the audio engine, improvement of speed and as mentioned, midi. Reaper has come a long way with midi since when it first started out.

Like Greg and Mr Clean, I always update...

I'm still in the crossover from another DAW, so I don't bother with 3rd party stuff like skins because I want to understand the manual easily. I piss around with the shortcut keys to customise but I figure that shouldn't bother the updates.

You all have a much greater faith in software updates being harmless than I do!

My lack of faith is because I superintend changes to secure transactional software for a living... as software updates go they're probably a bit more complex than Reaper though in that it links up with multiple systems... things go wrong all the time.

Anyway, as they're not routinely offering stunning new functionality, I'm OK with only updating outside of projects. :laughings:

You all have a much greater faith in software updates being harmless than I do!

Not true . . . I quake in fear whenever I do a software update . . . I am terrified that something bad will happen and it won't work anymore. So usually I make sure I can do a system restore.

However, in the case of Reaper I don't have that fear, and I have updated every time a new update emerges. I think I started Reaper at 3.1 or something, and am now up to 4.591, and each has been easy and seamless.

Not true . . . I quake in fear whenever I do a software update . . . I am terrified that something bad will happen and it won't work anymore. So usually I make sure I can do a system restore.

However, in the case of Reaper I don't have that fear, and I have updated every time a new update emerges. I think I started Reaper at 3.1 or something, and am now up to 4.591, and each has been easy and seamless.

Yeah, I guess with the way they do it, which isn't "updating" at all, but completely replacing the software - that being the way most of it seems to happen these days - then that should never harm the actual data itself. Probably handy to hang onto the previous software bundle so if the new one didn't work you'd just uninstall it via Control Panel and reinstall the old version and then you're back to where you were... you wouldn't need to do a whole system restore, I'd think...

I've onyly dponoe 1 update in the 2 and a bit years I've used it. My comp is off line and I really only use 10% of it's capabilities so haven't been particularly interested. I'm more focussed on learning what I already have.
Oh & when I did do an update the Reaper icon went from a little shield thing to a simple icon square which it ought not have done so I've been well, reticent.
Armistice - serious technology. Can you improve my bank account balance on your next one? (I bet you get that all the time!).

Yup, I got on Reaper somewhere in the very early 2.something versions, and every single update has gone totally smooth. There's been like hundreds of them. The only one that was even slightly weird was when they kicked in version 4, and I had to renew my license. That's all it was though. All of my functions and data went unchanged. Reaper is the one thing I'll update without even thinking about it. Those guys have their shit together. Besides, what's it gonna hurt? Plug-ins and data are stored elsewhere.

Yup, I got on Reaper somewhere in the very early 2.something versions, and every single update has gone totally smooth. There's been like hundreds of them. The only one that was even slightly weird was when they kicked in version 4, and I had to renew my license. That's all it was though. All of my functions and data went unchanged. Reaper is the one thing I'll update without even thinking about it. Those guys have their shit together. Besides, what's it gonna hurt? Plug-ins and data are stored elsewhere.

Words of wisdom from Greg! :eek:

One newer feature that came up sometime in the last year (I think) is the Monitor FX thing, which is pretty cool. It's a global master FX bus thatcomes between the master fader and your actual physical output. These effects apply to every project you open, but they are never rendered or anything. Right click the FX button on the Master fader in any project and the window pops up. You can put EQ on your speaker outputs to "correct" for monitor/room deficiencies or really whatever else you want. There are ways to set it up to have different effects for different outputs so if you had like your speakers on one set of outs and a headphone amp on another they can get different treatment.

I don't use multiple outs, so I have to switch between the speaker EQ (corrects for an overlap between my monitors and subs) and headphone EQ (pretty much the opposite, boosts the bass a little), and I really haven't figured out anything else to do with it, but it is super cool to have. Some folks at the Reaper forum are using it with the multi-channel version of SPAN as some sort of global analyzer bus, but I haven't found a need for that.

I'm running 4.22 so I'm not that far behind. I wouldn't let years go by or anything, but I don't need to catch every single one.

Armistice - serious technology. Can you improve my bank account balance on your next one? (I bet you get that all the time!).

They don't let me near the money Ray! I'm on the business side anyway, so I just tell the techs what to do... if you ever want to understand the labyrinthine Australian superannuation landscape I can probably help you though... ;)

Back